Paxton, headers and Heat:

Tim-
- Pick up a set of stock exhaust manifolds from someone here on the site.
- Pull off yours and put the spares on (Dragon has gaskets; get 2 sets).
- Send your originals to Jet-Hot for their Sterling or Extreme Sterling coating (about $400 with shipping both ways).
- When the manifolds come back, swap them out again.

With a buddy, it's a 2 hour project, beer breaks included.

You'll be surprised at your underhood temp drop.
Your Paxton will thank you too. :)

Rice Eater said:
why do SC applications produce so much heat? I know nitrous w/ headers works good!

they don't....headers have more surface area then manifolds and therefor produce more heat....properly installed headers will cause little or no issues with heat...his means all lines must ne routed properly...

I run an iconel heat shield above the manifold on the S/C side...

headers do not produce any heat.

Nowwhat said:
they don't....headers have more surface area then manifolds and therefor produce more heat....properly installed headers will cause little or no issues with heat...his means all lines must ne routed properly...

I run an iconel heat shield above the manifold on the S/C side...

I dont get where all this heat issue is comming from. I am runnin the B&B headers ceramic coated with the paxton and a 8lb pully, with the stage 2 flash and thermostat i have never had heat problems, also im runnin x-metal heat exchanger makin 698 hp and 695 ft lbs all back to back runs no heat problems.

Okay, my turn.

Stock exhaust manifolds are a heat sink. What's that mean? Once they are hot, they retain the heat much longer than a header will.

Are headers hotter than the stock exhaust manifolds? Yes and no. No, I'm not a politician, it's a true answer.

Since the stock manifolds are cast iron and thick it takes longer for them to react to energy input, heat. So you get on it which raises the heat output from the engine they do not get as hot as quickly as headers will. But then you are moving and it's pretty much a moot point as air is helping to cool things down.

Now it's true in the opposite case too. You get on it and the headers get hotter. But since they do not have the mass (remember the heat sink above) they will cool down much quicker.

Headers are more efficient in removing heat from an engine, so in my opinion they are the way to go.

I needed to add, that all an engine is, is a air pump. The more effeciently you can get air in, and out, the more power you will put to the ground. Remember, it takes energy to drive that piston up on the exhaust stroke. With headers it takes less energy to accomplish that task.

I do not know what DC has against headers, but in my opinion they are wrong.

Last edited:
Silverback said:
...Headers are more efficient in removing heat from an engine, so in my opinion they are the way to go.

Silverback said it, I believe it, that settles it!:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Prof said:
Silverback said it, I believe it, that settles it!:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Well I would not go that far Roy.

I have been wrong in the past, and will be wrong sometime in the future. However when I'm wrong I will admit it.

Silverback said:
Okay, my turn.

I needed to add, that all an engine is, is a air pump. The more effeciently you can get air in, and out, the more power you will put to the ground. Remember, it takes energy to drive that piston up on the exhaust stroke. With headers it takes less energy to accomplish that task.

this f'n air pump analogy again.....for f sake.....yes yes it is an air pump....
a very complicated air pump....our engines are closer to a F1 engine than a bicycle pump....

headers on a S/C motor are a waste of money....they produce ZERO EXTRA HORSEPOWER.....Why is that so hard to understand....tuner after tuner has said the same exact thing.....if you have unlimited funds and like the sound then get them but stop acting like we a tuning a BBC here....Django as an example as this is his thread...would be vastly better off with meth injection for 1/2 the price of headers....

now back to your regularly scheduled madness....;)

Couldn't there be other gains by having headers on, though? It does seem that for the cost of headers for these trucks the HP gains are marginal. If heat is an issue than doesn't Kevan have the right idea with coated stock manifolds?

Nowwhat said:
this f'n air pump analogy again.....for f sake.....yes yes it is an air pump....
a very complicated air pump....our engines are closer to a F1 engine than a bicycle pump....

headers on a S/C motor are a waste of money....they produce ZERO EXTRA HORSEPOWER.....Why is that so hard to understand....tuner after tuner has said the same exact thing.....if you have unlimited funds and like the sound then get them but stop acting like we a tuning a BBC here....Django as an example as this is his thread...would be vastly better off with meth injection for 1/2 the price of headers....

now back to your regularly scheduled madness....;)

Sorry Mike, you are wrong.

Silverback said:
Okay, my turn.

As to this comment....

DC doesn't have anything against headers.....they in my experience have a problem with charging customers for things that don't perform....some other tuners could learn from that.....

Only way in Mike's case to disprove headers are not worth the gains is to install a set in his truck and perform a before and after. If we can set up a fund to purchase a set of B&B headers, have them Jet-Hot coated and give them to Mike, there is no way he can resist :D

RedRamRules said:
Only way in Mike's case to disprove headers are not worth the gains is to install a set in his truck and perform a before and after. If we can set up a fund to purchase a set of B&B headers, have them Jet-Hot coated and give them to Mike, there is no way he can resist :D
I predict a 39 rwhp gain and 5 degrees cooler operating temp on Nowwhat's truck with a new set of Belanger headers (assuming it's properly re-tuned for the headers). ;)

C'mon Mike, I know you want more power. :D :D :D

Nowwhat said:
As to this comment....

DC doesn't have anything against headers.....they in my experience have a problem with charging customers for things that don't perform....some other tuners could learn from that.....

meaning?

To further add to the discussion:

The stock manifolds are basically short-tube headers. Though cast iron, they are shaped to handle exhaust gases quite well compared to many exhaust manifolds I've seen over the years.

I can kind of see where DC is coming from: If they only get 2-5HP from adding $2000+ headers, they'll look for HP elsewhere and get matching gains (or better) for less cost- to them and the customer.

RedRamRules- You're such a tease. :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back