PORTING EXHAUST MANIFOLD

ALL3-500HP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a 04 srt10 and really want headers:drool:. Due to the high cost of these and all the other stuff I want to do, I was thinking about going a different route to save some money for other mods. Has anyone ported there stock exhaust manifolds? How much would something like that cost and do you think it would even be worth the effort? I really would like some coated and ported exhaust manifolds with JMB catless mids and Magnaflow catback. What do you guys think of that set up? Any info or opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Ive seen a few port match smooth and ceramic coat them. Gains are not worth the money for headers and the cleaned up and coated manifolds look fine to me. On a side note, if you want a spare set of manifolds to toy with, shoot me a pm. Id throw them your way at a fair price

Ive seen a few port match smooth and ceramic coat them. Gains are not worth the money for headers and the cleaned up and coated manifolds look fine to me. On a side note, if you want a spare set of manifolds to toy with, shoot me a pm. Id throw them your way at a fair price

pm sent:creep:

I know of one that used to be local here that had one of the best sounding Viper Rams here and it ran through ported manifolds;):burnout:

I know of one that used to be local here that had one of the best sounding Viper Rams here and it ran through ported manifolds;):burnout:

I would not be comfortable doing it myself, any recommendations on who would be able to do it?:dontknow:

i ported a set and coated them with POR-15 so they wouldnt rust just for the hell of it. wont need em when i get the turbo headers on there.

The factory exhaust manifolds border on the hardness of Kryptonite. Don't even think about porting with a small dremel.

You will need a large HEAVY DUTY high speed grinder and (at least) a couple of hours of time to do them properly. And a couple of sharp bits.

The outermost manifold ports are the worst for matching the exhaust ports on the heads (as in they don't match) and are easily out 1/8" or more.

So, if you don't want to do it yourself, it will cost you a couple/few hours of someone elses' time.

I'm sure there is someone out there that says it can be done in 15 minutes. Get it in writing and go there.. :)

Results- It all helps...

Last edited:
The factory exhaust manifolds border on the hardness of Kryptonite. Don't even think about porting with a small dremel.

You will need a large HEAVY DUTY high speed grinder and (at least) a couple of hours of time to do them properly. And a couple of sharp bits.

The outermost manifold ports are the worst for matching the exhaust ports on the heads (as in they don't match) and are easily out 1/8" or more.

So, if you don't want to do it yourself, it will cost you a couple/few hours of someone elses' time.

I'm sure there is someone out there that says it can be done in 15 minutes. Get it in writing and go there.. :)

Results- It all helps...

Thanks for the input, I wouldnt even try to do it myself. I was just wondering since I never really heard anyone talking about this as an option. Trying to keep myself on a budget because theres so much more I want to do or I would just buy some headers

I found this on another post it looks pretty good

Attachments

• manifolds-coated.gif
    manifolds-coated.gif
    269.5 KB · Views: 729
  • collector-after-2.gif
    collector-after-2.gif
    183.4 KB · Views: 429
Thanks for the input, I wouldnt even try to do it myself. I was just wondering since I never really heard anyone talking about this as an option. Trying to keep myself on a budget because theres so much more I want to do or I would just buy some headers

The exhaust manifolds will NEVER be able to scavenge like a well designed longtube header whether the manifold is ported or not. So, longtubes will enable the engine to make more power (esp. torque) than a short, cast iron exhaust manifold.

Arguably yes, headers are pricey.

Last edited:
Are new gaskets necessary when doing this or are the exhaust manifold gaskets reusable?

Are new gaskets necessary when doing this or are the exhaust manifold gaskets reusable?

They usually fall apart when you take the manifold off,Disconnect the battery cable before removal. :D:rock:

Just picked up a 04 srt10 and really want headers:drool:. Due to the high cost of these and all the other stuff I want to do, I was thinking about going a different route to save some money for other mods. Has anyone ported there stock exhaust manifolds? How much would something like that cost and do you think it would even be worth the effort? I really would like some coated and ported exhaust manifolds with JMB catless mids and Magnaflow catback. What do you guys think of that set up? Any info or opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks

I am having mine done right now,I took the OEM gaskets down for them to go to.I just took mine to a machine shop locally because i did not want to ship them.I will let you know how they turn out.

yes, please keep me posted on how yours turn out. So far all I have is the magnaflow cat back, but am still interested in adding catless mids and porting the manifolds

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back