Powerlifting

I never listen to music when I'm going real heavy, but damn I don't even know if I could judge where I am without a mirror lol.

I can smash out some front squats off my heals, but thats a whole different story!

The worst was when I was doing some strongman events and one of them was a standing free weight overhead press. I had practiced in the gym for a couple months using a mirror and when I got to the comp it dawned on me that there was no mirror. I felt like Gumby trying to stay stable! LOL! I still managed to press 320 overhead that day, it was the ugliest thing you ever saw though. To be honest it was one of the coolest raw power moments in my lifting career. It took me like 4 seconds to finally lock it out (felt like an eternity) and I can still hear Bill Kazmaier monstrous roar with the down command after I locked it out!

I quit lifting with the mirror a long time ago just for that reason. I use a couple different racks at the gym too, along with moving the hooks in an outside of the power rack. I miss feeling strong. :(

The worst was when I was doing some strongman events and one of them was a standing free weight overhead press. I had practiced in the gym for a couple months using a mirror and when I got to the comp it dawned on me that there was no mirror. I felt like Gumby trying to stay stable! LOL! I still managed to press 320 overhead that day, it was the ugliest thing you ever saw though. To be honest it was one of the coolest raw power moments in my lifting career. It took me like 4 seconds to finally lock it out (felt like an eternity) and I can still hear Bill Kazmaier monstrous roar with the down command after I locked it out!

And yes I do have video from this... I'll have to dig it out of the archives! I was only like 24 or 25 at the time and weighed in at 209lbs. Also hit all three attempts on the trap bar deadlift event that day 650, 700, and 725!

I quit lifting with the mirror a long time ago just for that reason. I use a couple different racks at the gym too, along with moving the hooks in an outside of the power rack. I miss feeling strong. :(

Me too buddy.... I think this shoulder injury is affecting me more mentally than physically. :shot:

And yes I do have video from this... I'll have to dig it out of the archives! I was only like 24 or 25 at the time and weighed in at 209lbs. Also hit all three attempts on the trap bar deadlift event that day 650, 700, and 725!

I would like to see that!! sounds pretty awesome

W.T.F. Bro, that's insane. Seriously. I love overhead pressing. And that's insane. lol

My meet is this saturday and I'm starting to get a bit nervous and Ive had dreams about squatting and deadlifting for the past month haha

opening with 495/345/495 and aiming to finish with 585-605/395-405/605-615

My meet is this saturday and I'm starting to get a bit nervous and Ive had dreams about squatting and deadlifting for the past month haha

Will you have anyone there to video?

Will you have anyone there to video?

Yep I'm going up there with 6 other guys and my girlfriend is in charge of getting all our lifts on video lol my buddy micah is doing it and going for the world record single ply deadlift at 165 lbs. He pulled 795 a couple months ago and going to try and hit 800 this weekend. He pulled 730 raw last week. His sumo form is unreal

4 times bodyweights been done what, like 5 times ever? He might as well pull Raw and join that club. Can't imagine he gets much poundage out of a single ply suit when deadlifting?

Did you see Eric squat 1030 earlier this month?

Good luck brother!

Yep I'm going up there with 6 other guys and my girlfriend is in charge of getting all our lifts on video lol my buddy micah is doing it and going for the world record single ply deadlift at 165 lbs. He pulled 795 a couple months ago and going to try and hit 800 this weekend. He pulled 730 raw last week. His sumo form is unreal

That's unbelievable, my hat is off to him.

4 times bodyweights been done what, like 5 times ever? He might as well pull Raw and join that club. Can't imagine he gets much poundage out of a single ply suit when deadlifting?

Did you see Eric squat 1030 earlier this month?

Hes going for the raw dl record and total next, he just needs to bring his bench up a bit

yea that was nuts!! him and zahir have been going at it on facebook and instagram. I think a big rivalry like that will be good for the sport

That's bad ass! After you watch that vid all these vids of Ed Coan pop up. I have to say with pride that Ed Coan actually sent me a friend request on FB this past week.... I am honored! After all these years have past and I do not compete anymore I have nothing but amazing things to say about Ed. He is an ICON!

That's bad ass! After you watch that vid all these vids of Ed Coan pop up. I have to say with pride that Ed Coan actually sent me a friend request on FB this past week.... I am honored! After all these years have past and I do not compete anymore I have nothing but amazing things to say about Ed. He is an ICON!

That is awesome!!! I looked up to ed even before I started powerlifting. I loved the videos he did with mark bell

My coach had me go more conservative than I had planned since it was my first meet and just wanted me to focus on going 9/9 with lifts he knew I would hit and get some experience with how everything is ran. I finished with 565/391/589. I went for 584 for my third squat and got red lighted for depth lol everything felt pretty easy and light though.

this is the squat that got called for depth
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX9J7x4K0Gk[/ame]

this was 589 but I typed it wrong on youtube.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZPs-DOQia8[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYL09r_goC4[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work. Bar speed suggests those were well over 100% for the squat and the bench. I think you had more in the tank for your deadlift.

Nice work. Bar speed suggests those were well over 100% for the squat and the bench. I think you had more in the tank for your deadlift.

thanks!! Yea that deadlift felt pretty easy but I was just sticking to my coaches game plan. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how my first full meet turned out.

Back