Problem! Help!

ViPeR_PiLoT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran the truck to do some errands this morning and on my way back got on it a little and it started to run rough like it had some cylinders not firing. Checked it at idle and you can definitely smell fuel out of the exhaust so I'm thinking its coils, plugs or wires. No check engine codes. Stock wires, plugs and coils as far as I can tell. I checked connections at plugs a little. Waiting for it to cool down. Are stock plugs, wires, and coils known to go out. 38,000 miles on engine.

took out a few spark plugs and they are autolite 985's. according to autolites website that is the oem replacement they make for our trucks.

Throttle position sensors ( tps) go bad on these trucks,will cause it to run rough,mine was actually bucking. LOL

pull all the plugs see wich one is wet or carboned up from not firing ,,while out i would go get a set of oem champions

Picked up champion 438's ... if its not the plugs I'm gonna pull the intake and get it powder coated silver locally and order Stinkers coils and wires.

Gap should be .35 with stock coils, I think you can open them up if you upgrade the coils to Tony's. I'm doing his coils, wires and NGK's in spring with my Intake getting done in gloss black......... Let me know how it is getting the plugs out...

Replaced all the plugs with OEM Champions.. The butthole that replaced the sparkplugs before was to lazy or cheap to replace number 7 and 9, 7 and 9 where the OEM champions and the others where replaced with autolite. Noticed #1 plug was wet when replacing. Changed all plugs and still the same problem. Pulled the plug on #1 when it was running and was still running rough. I also checked #1 for spark which it did. I'm guessing a broken valve spring? could smell fuel at trottlebody and a small ticking. I need to pull the valve cover to check.

Ran the truck to do some errands this morning and on my way back got on it a little and it started to run rough like it had some cylinders not firing. Checked it at idle and you can definitely smell fuel out of the exhaust so I'm thinking its coils, plugs or wires. No check engine codes. Stock wires, plugs and coils as far as I can tell. I checked connections at plugs a little. Waiting for it to cool down. Are stock plugs, wires, and coils known to go out. 38,000 miles on engine.

When I said that I was getting on it little my RPM's were no higher that 5000.

Found broken spring on cylinder #1. Perfect excuse for some upgrades!
IMAG0602.jpg
[/IMG]

Is this a common problem or can the motors go a good distance without breaking?

I have seen plenty of broken Hemi valve springs, but this is my first on a Viper engine. What mods are you planning??

Is this a common problem or can the motors go a good distance without breaking?

I have 120k on original motor and tranny (quad cab). These engines will last. My engine has been mostly stock (CAI and tune) and has seen track time twice. I only recently replaced the stock plug wires because they fell apart from dry rot when they came off to replace the spark plugs. Had I not touched the plugs, the wires would probably still be fine. My truck has seen the hottest of days living in Tampa to full on snow and ice in Missouri this past year. I've hauled a few hundred pounds in the bed and backseat through the mountains going 80mph and other than eating through brakes, the truck has been fine. Knock on wood, maybe I'm just lucky, but for a performance truck, mine has been durable.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back