Progress on project rigamortis....

??? anything new?
hope you are keeping track of what your need and cost...i need to know how deep this is going to go for me!
my wife gave me the go ahead to start my Rod!

Time to mock up the drivetrain and front end suspension. Here we go.

ratrod006.jpg

ratrod003.jpg

ratrod002.jpg

ratrod005.jpg

ratrod001.jpg

Burnt, I really have not spent much. I bought some square tubing when I ran out of what we had laying around. I bought the body for $600 at a swap meet. Everything else we had laying around here at the shop. But I will let you know in the end what it cost me. I'm prolly going with you on the rear wheels. Since I found a nasty, rusty front axle and wheels, I'm prolly going to slap some old rusty wheels on the rear with a tall 235/85R16

looking good buddy! I am excited to see the end result

A little progress. Mounted the steering box, welded the motor mounts in place, built a transmission cross member, and welded and boxed in the front frame rails. Enough for one day!

100_2150.jpg

100_2151.jpg

100_2152.jpg

100_2153.jpg

100_2155.jpg

100_2157.jpg

100_2158.jpg

Coming along, I see.......

Looks like fun......... Although I must admit to knowing zero about such things....

D

Django said:
Coming along, I see.......

Looks like fun......... Although I must admit to knowing zero about such things....

D

I don't know a whole lot either. But my dad has done this sort of thing all his life so I am learning a lot as we go. He is having a blast building this thing. Just making things up as we go using parts lying around the shop.

looks good man! damn good and it's being built the way i should be with nothing fancy or neat little benders just a torch and a welder and scrap iron! looks good... i'm alsdo a big fan of rat rods

will the motor be "OK" with the mounts welded in place...shouldnt you get some poly's to give it some wiggle room? for the engine to wiggle???

Also, this is just my opinion...matte black the front wheels, and use crome lug nuts...then get a thick white wall! looks pretty go.

BurntRubber said:
will the motor be "OK" with the mounts welded in place...shouldnt you get some poly's to give it some wiggle room? for the engine to wiggle???

Also, this is just my opinion...matte black the front wheels, and use crome lug nuts...then get a thick white wall! looks pretty go.

my friends who build these things pretty much all day long at "GasMonkey0" they also use solid mounts for their motors... not sure why? only thing i can see goin wrong with them being solid would be a HIgh HP motor twisting the frame

Tooloe said:
my friends who build these things pretty much all day long at "GasMonkey0" they also use solid mounts for their motors... not sure why? only thing i can see goin wrong with them being solid would be a HIgh HP motor twisting the frame

Yeah I am definintely going with some wide white walls. The car shouldn't have all that much HP. Plus I am not going to be driving it more than 10 or 15 miles at the time. I like the "put a bunch crap laying around the shop together and drive it" look.

Tooloe said:

just wondering...

i would always be one to go for more HP than necessary...and I plan on drvivng mine alot:D :rock:

BurntRubber said:
just wondering...

i would always be one to go for more HP than necessary...and I plan on drvivng mine alot:D :rock:

Oh yeah. I plan on driving mine a lot as well. Especially when it is hot. I just live about a mile from work and a mile from our shop so not many miles at one time.

Almost got the thing rolling around today. Worked about 5 hours on it and here's what we accomplished.

This is what it looked like when we started working today....

ratrod001.jpg

And here is our stopping point.....

100_0883.jpg

100_0866.jpg

100_0869.jpg

100_0878.jpg

100_0881.jpg

Just ran out of time to attach the leaf springs to the axle. And add the trailing arms from the axle to the frame.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the positive comments I get on this thread. I'm not big on forums. This is the only one I belong to. But I joined a forum the other day called killbillet.com. Everytime I have posted some progress on our build they rip me a new one! I have stopped getting on there! Like there's criteria on building a rat rod. I thought that was the point in a rat rod, use what you have laying around and throw it all together? Oh well. Thanks for being a great POSITIVE forum!

EMT/SRT said:
Like there's criteria on building a rat rod. I thought that was the point in a rat rod, use what you have laying around and throw it all together?
yeah thats how i always looked at them, how are you gonna do the driveshaft? i would think you;d need at least 2 shafts? not sure one would be able to work at such an angle. i'm wanting to build one too been lookin at an old chevy grain truck thinking of a way to cut it up...

ARRESTmeRed04 said:
yeah thats how i always looked at them, how are you gonna do the driveshaft? i would think you;d need at least 2 shafts? not sure one would be able to work at such an angle. i'm wanting to build one too been lookin at an old chevy grain truck thinking of a way to cut it up...

Dad says a couple of constant velocity u-joints will take care of it. We'll see in a couple of weeks.

That thing is going to be tons of fun! :rock: :rock:
I found this for sale the other day while at work....what ya think? i can pick it up very cheap. i think a sweet rat rod can come out of it:dontknow:
ratrod.jpg

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back