QC Performance Transmission Builders (?)

rottenronnie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those using their trucks for track/performance use, who built your automatic and how has it been holding up?

Well sir, this may not apply never having had mine on the track. I do WOT almost every day for the past 3 years. Seldom does a day go by that I do not run it thru at least 2nd at WOT and often 3rd. Mine was rebuilt by Century Automotive and Transmission our of Richmond Texas (burb of Houston) and so far have 58,000 miles on the rebuild with no adjustment to the bands, fluid is fine and VENOMOUS 1 said it is shifting perfectly when I was down at his place at 54,000 miles. These folks build all the transmissions for Hennessey Performance. I know some of you do not like Hennessey but he has built some wicked cars. Just me 2 pennies worth.

Well sir, this may not apply never having had mine on the track. I do WOT almost every day for the past 3 years. Seldom does a day go by that I do not run it thru at least 2nd at WOT and often 3rd. Mine was rebuilt by Century Automotive and Transmission our of Richmond Texas (burb of Houston) and so far have 58,000 miles on the rebuild with no adjustment to the bands, fluid is fine and VENOMOUS 1 said it is shifting perfectly when I was down at his place at 54,000 miles. These folks build all the transmissions for Hennessey Performance. I know some of you do not like Hennessey but he has built some wicked cars. Just me 2 pennies worth.

Great, thanks for the feedback Shorty.

Believe it or not the 48RE (properly built) is a tough mother and they are replacing the mighty Allisons for drag use in some cases.

It is a matter of finding guys that are good at modifying them. Sounds like you did just that.

Believe it or not the 48RE (properly built) is a tough mother and they are replacing the mighty Allisons for drag use in some cases.

It is a matter of finding guys that are good at modifying them. Sounds like you did just that.
I'd like to know more about this, Ronnie.

Reckon I found him. That was the 3rd rebuild and this guy seems to know his stuff. Whats neat is the last rebuild lasted less than 1500 miles. They, trying to same me some bucks, did not rebuild the tail section and it turned out to be bad. PATC in Bossier La. paid for the towing, rebuild and all parts. I was out zero. Ain't gonna find that with Rusty out in Arizona.

Would like to hear more about the the 48RE replacing the Allison's.

I'd heard about the replacement of the Allison with the 48RE from a couple of the local high-powered diesel racers a year or so ago. H.T.S. mentioned it again when I was in conversation with Dusty yesterday. He might provide more information if you were to contact him. (?)

It's amazing that a transmission design based in the 1950s is still taking a pounding behind modern engine power.

We have a local Dodge diesel here (240 pounds of boost) that is on his 17th 48RE rebuild (understandable) as this particular diesel QC runs high 9s. Torque levels that high should be able to rip the insides out of just about any automotive transmission on a regular basis! My recent V-10 build shouldn't be spitting out 48REs like it has been, as the power level isn't that high.

We'll see if this one (4th since May with NO racing) lasts.

Last edited:
You can always buy my truck and do the 6-speed swap! :D

I thought you said you didn't want an automatic in your truck?
My current 48RE is close to perfection, so I've abandoned the 6-speed swap thoughts.

Last edited:
It'll fit, better yet, GEN V with the eight speed auto would be crazy fun

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back