Question

NettlesD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to remove the metal cylinders around the spark plug boots? Do they even come off?

I just want to check a few plugs on the drivers side and I'm not sure how to remove them. I did remove the metal whatever you call thing that runs down the factory header and is held in place by three nuts.

Also, what's the best way to remove a boot? Grab and yank? Run codes until each one falls off?

To remove a spark plug wire boot, you should always TWIST the boot first. This will break the bond with the tip of the spark plug.... therefore allowing the wire to come off in one piece.

I don't believe the metal heat shields around the plugs come out without taking out the spark plug first. But, don't quote me on that. :eek:

weight reduction = gain of .000043 horsepower...

but seriously i dont know. prob just don't need them??

leave them in! they are protection from heat. if you change wires and the boot don't fit, then remove them!

They protect the wires from the heat...most take them off and leave them off.... I bought wire heat shield protectors to put ove my wires...there the same color as my wires so they're not ugly like the oem metal protectors!

Wonderful! Thanks everyone.

Another simple question. Which plug is the best plug to check? Something like.."I would check #3 because that cylinder has the worst fuel distribution....if it checks out good then you're running fine..."

Standing in front of your vehicle looking at the motor, plug number X would be on the XXXXXX side XXXXX from the front.

im no mechanic but, each plug has its own chamber aqnd set of moving parts that could damage or run wrong without effecting the others.

i would check all of them and leave nothingto chance. i mean how long is it really gunna take to do them all???

pull the plug wire , then the shield, the end of the shield is smaller then the plug boot, get a set of wire pullers at the local parts store, dont use pliers, they will rip the boot, pull the boot, then the heat sheild,
but if your gonna pull the plugs , you may as well replace them,

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back