Question

My goal is to get new coils, wires and plugs from you but I just wanted to check a few first. Never worked on these trucks before so I'm taking it slow and I'm in no rush since it barely moves out of the garage.

yank the first three on each side, the rest your gonna curse getting out, either from underneath which I prefer or some pull the inner fenders, or some with small guts crawl over the radiator support, but the first three on each bank should give you decent readings

Iv'e pulled the plugs so much recently it's a breeze..... I will say be happy that your stock....it gets tricky when you have a powder coated engine bay and your trying not to scratch anything!

Not to be a pain but, man, pulling the spark plug boots off is such a pain. You can't hardly get a grip on the boot for the shield being in the way.

Anyone have a method to this madness? Can you pull the shield and boot together as one assembly or does the boot have to come off first before the shield can come off?

Oh, I did manage to get the very first boot off and pulled out the plug. It think it took me over an hour just for that one plug. Good grief, it will take me half a year to get all 10 plugs out.

Not to be a pain but, man, pulling the spark plug boots off is such a pain. You can't hardly get a grip on the boot for the shield being in the way.

Anyone have a method to this madness? Can you pull the shield and boot together as one assembly or does the boot have to come off first before the shield can come off?

Oh, I did manage to get the very first boot off and pulled out the plug. It think it took me over an hour just for that one plug. Good grief, it will take me half a year to get all 10 plugs out.

Go to Auto Zone/ Advanced Auto/ Pep Boys and get you one of these:

Alltrade-Tools-648427-rw-52785-63049.jpg

It's a spark plug boot puller.... works wonders. ;)

pull the plug wire , then the shield, the end of the shield is smaller then the plug boot, get a set of wire pullers at the local parts store, dont use pliers, they will rip the boot, pull the boot, then the heat sheild,
but if your gonna pull the plugs , you may as well replace them,

this might help

nettles, get some of those wire pullers, now you can use pliers , but most likely you may tear the boots, but take and pull the shields back, out of the plug socket, to where you can get to the boots well, take the pliers, grab the base an twist the boot side to side, you should feel it break the bond loose from the plug, then twist as you pull outwards an the boot should pull off and pull the shield with it as well.

the rear plugs are a pain, two ways, pull the inner fender, or lift the front of the truck , secure safely, crawl under the truck, and go between the tranny and the doghouse, and you can get the the two rear on each side easily,

if you have problems or need help, feel free to call, will be up all weekend long

Wonderful! Thanks everyone.

Another simple question. Which plug is the best plug to check? Something like.."I would check #3 because that cylinder has the worst fuel distribution....if it checks out good then you're running fine..."

Standing in front of your vehicle looking at the motor, plug number X would be on the XXXXXX side XXXXX from the front.

10 9
8 7
6 5
4 3
2 1

nettles, get some of those wire pullers, now you can use pliers , but most likely you may tear the boots, but take and pull the shields back, out of the plug socket, to where you can get to the boots well, take the pliers, grab the base an twist the boot side to side, you should feel it break the bond loose from the plug, then twist as you pull outwards an the boot should pull off and pull the shield with it as well.

the rear plugs are a pain, two ways, pull the inner fender, or lift the front of the truck , secure safely, crawl under the truck, and go between the tranny and the doghouse, and you can get the the two rear on each side easily,

if you have problems or need help, feel free to call, will be up all weekend long

Thanks Tony. Those are the kind of instructions I was looking for. I did buy the pliers and still wondered how they would help since you can't really get the pliers on the boot with the shield still in place. Your instructions cleared that up.

Thanks Tony. Those are the kind of instructions I was looking for. I did buy the pliers and still wondered how they would help since you can't really get the pliers on the boot with the shield still in place. Your instructions cleared that up.

your welcome sir

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back