Questions for RC owners with 1.75 lowering blocks.

Psycho1122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Morning Guys..

I've kicked around for quite sometime lowering the rear of my RC. I'm not interested in lowering the front for two reasons. Suspension travel and geometry. The truck almost rides on the bump stops stock and lowering more would start to introduce issues other members have had on here with bump steer and twitchiness. Besides, the front end grip is so good, it hard to push it without oversteer. I also do not want to introduce understeer.

I first addressed traction issues after bolt on power upgrades. The QA-1 kicker shock and urethane bushings installed in the leaf springs made huge improvements in rear end grip AND rear stability when cornering. The only negative effect is the bushings actually RAISED the rear by an additional 1/4". De-arching springs can change spring rate and cause shackle bind so I'm not interested.

I'm currently at 33 3/4" front and 36 1/8" rear from ground to middle of wheel opening lips on body. (I know from frame to ground is more precise than my measurement. However, I do not have consistent reference points). I also am not interested in complete leveling of truck. Just an ever so slight rake would be nice.

A few questions for owners with 1.75 lowering blocks with stock front ends:

- Can you share your front and rear measurement's AND rear axle to stock bump stop? (If you installed shorter bump stops, please share results)

- I'm currently at -2.5 deg. pinion angle. Can you share your angle with blocks?

- Finally, please share any positive or negative results from 1.75 blocks with stock front suspension. Example: has any owner observed an increase in understeer from lowering rear, or did it provide more balance front to rear?

I look forward to some feedback.

Cheers Guys! :)

Good Morning Guys..

I've kicked around for quite sometime lowering the rear of my RC. I'm not interested in lowering the front for two reasons. Suspension travel and geometry. The truck almost rides on the bump stops stock and lowering more would start to introduce issues other members have had on here with bump steer and twitchiness. Besides, the front end grip is so good, it hard to push it without oversteer. I also do not want to introduce understeer.

I first addressed traction issues after bolt on power upgrades. The QA-1 kicker shock and urethane bushings installed in the leaf springs made huge improvements in rear end grip AND rear stability when cornering. The only negative effect is the bushings actually RAISED the rear by an additional 1/4". De-arching springs can change spring rate and cause shackle bind so I'm not interested.

I'm currently at 33 3/4" front and 36 1/8" rear from ground to middle of wheel opening lips on body. (I know from frame to ground is more precise than my measurement. However, I do not have consistent reference points). I also am not interested in complete leveling of truck. Just an ever so slight rake would be nice.

A few questions for owners with 1.75 lowering blocks with stock front ends:

- Can you share your front and rear measurement's AND rear axle to stock bump stop? (If you installed shorter bump stops, please share results)

- I'm currently at -2.5 deg. pinion angle. Can you share your angle with blocks?

- Finally, please share any positive or negative results from 1.75 blocks with stock front suspension. Example: has any owner observed an increase in understeer from lowering rear, or did it provide more balance front to rear?

I look forward to some feedback.

Cheers Guys! :)

Well as for specific measurements and pinion angles I cannot help you as I sold my truck about a year and a half ago, and I don't remember. What I can tell you is that I had Tony's 1"-2" kit and I had zero negative issues. Clearly the rear dropped exactly 2" as it is a 2" block, on the other hand the front only dropped about 5/8" of an inch. The rake was probably exactly what you are looking for. With this kit I never had any issues with tire rub, and the combination of very little drop in the front with a bit stiffer spring rate, the geometry isn't thrown off enough to notice a difference and the stiffer spring actually made it handle so much better having less body roll. The nose doesn't dive as much either under those hard decelerating corners. Also, I had no negative effect with traction in the 1/4 mile. I did buy adjustable end links for the sway bar from Justin at JMB but I never even got the chance to install them before I sold the truck. I know this isn't exactly what you were asking about but I hope this helps. I highly recommend this kit if you are looking for pure performance, and not just looking to slam it to the ground. :beer:

With the lower front springs you have to remove the OEM bumpstop and install a button Poly stop. That will lower the front 5/8" and still have the same amount of travel. The extra spring rate feels better than stock. I have 2.5" blocks in the back and had to cut the rubber bumpstops . left about 3/8" . It handles amazing and feels real good. Very little bottoming out. gotta stay back from parking curbs! Best thing is the Caltracs , Really stabilizes the rearend. do the front and the back. You won't be disappointed!

With the lower front springs you have to remove the OEM bumpstop and install a button Poly stop. That will lower the front 5/8" and still have the same amount of travel. The extra spring rate feels better than stock. I have 2.5" blocks in the back and had to cut the rubber bumpstops . left about 3/8" . It handles amazing and feels real good. Very little bottoming out. gotta stay back from parking curbs! Best thing is the Caltracs , Really stabilizes the rearend. do the front and the back. You won't be disappointed!

Forgot to mention that about the front poly button stop, thanks. Although it's a piece of cake and comes with the kit.

picture.php

I think Slitherbeast and I are very close on set up. I have a little negative camber dialed in...just my preference. The truck handles far better than stock and no bump steer.

I'll try and get you measurements after I take the truck off of the jack stands

Great info.. I just ordered ALL new Poly Bushings and Leveling block from tony.

Thanks guys for the initial responses on my questions.

Once again, I'm staying with the STOCK front suspension. I have no issues there. The handling characteristics up front are excellent.

I appreciate any member / owner who can share some measurements from a stock front end with the 1.75's out back.

Cheers!

Now you guys have me thinking. I'm pretty sure when I installed my blocks I had a 1/2" rake. It would look better with another 5/8" drop in front with the 1.75" blocks it might be perfect. I also started looking around for bumpstops, seeing how the factory one is a foam style progressive one. When I was building my car, it was recommended to use s10 zq8 bumpstops which are progressive like ours not like those hard poly ones. I have an extra set and the cup is half the height of the factory ram and the foam bumpstops is the same length. I could cut the factory cup off, there's already a hole in the mount for the stud to go through, I can just slice down the height with a razor and bolt this in with the same clearance as the factory had to the control arm. I may throw on a set of caltracs also they are better for handling compared to those slapper bars, slapper bars will shock the spring when you load and unload the suspension.

Last edited:
Actually I found an email I sent to tony when I was asking about his springs and I had written down .5" rake with the 1.75 blocks

I don't have a pinion angle measurement but here are my other numbers, this is 100% stock suspension with 24k miles with only Jtsvp 1.75" block installed. DF 34-1/8" DR 35-1/4" PF 34-1/4 PR 35" and the bumpstop to Axel is 2"

Also measured my wheel gap PF 3-5/8" PR 4" DF 3-1/2" DR 4" I'm really considering Jtsvp 1" drop springs should give me 1" or more of rake in the wheel well with those blocks. Think it will look perfect.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back