Rear susp. options

Stanimal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a fun ride tonight. Decided to take the 10 down the highway for the first time. All was going well, until I ran 3rd gear out, shifted to 4th and the truck literally jumped sideways. Thankfully the road was wet and i was able to drift it back under control.

When i got to work i looked under, expecting to see loose ubolts. I saw marks on the leafs where they are rubbing on each other side to side. Under acceleration, the rear of the truck tries to walk to the left, on decel it walks to the right. When shifting it does this very fast, and hard enough to kick the whole truck sideways.

The truck currently has a Xmetal lowering kit, and I rather enjoy the look of it. Instead of monkeying around with it, i think i will just jump right to a good setup. I was thinking a 4 link, with coilovers and c notch the frame. I am open to any ideas, but am really leaning toward a link setup over messing with leafs ever again after tonights wild ride. Is there any premade kits? Anywhere i can look for guidance on making my own setup? I have a loaded shop and capabilities of the work, just measurements and geometry stuff i need help with. Also, anyone who is running coil springs in the rear, what rates are you using? drag or street? thanks

Mine is 4linked and coil over ,, ill ask my guy if he can provide you with some info or possibly parts.

A set of Scott's long bars would go a long way towards eliminating this problem, as would JMB's spring pack containers.

You need to go through the diff mounting. the leafs are pretty good unless you have upwards of 800 hp and traction. there is something wrong under your truck . It is not the stock setup. The lowering kit isn't installed completely. line everything up and torque everything. There should be a hole in the top of the lowering block to align with the leafspring retainer pin bolt and the bottom of the lowering block should have a pin to align with the shock plate. if this pin on the block is sheared you will have to replace the block. Tony has a great kit!

All the pins are lined up, and the ubolts are tight. Slither, this is something i do not even want to test drive again. I NEVER want what happened, to happen again. Imagine needing every inch of 5 lanes of highway to recover.

I have been driving a truck that makes 792whp with caltracs, xmetel drop, qa1's, poly bushings with out a problem. There is something wrong with your truck just makes no sense any other way.

Sounds like you spun the tires running third gear out in the wet which makes so sense in doing. Even a 4 link in the wet would do the same thing.
Oh yeah this is just my 2 cents

My old leafs were so worn out they were flexing way to much and did the exact same thing. Take a pic of your leaf side on so we can see its profile.

With minimal rain on the road my trucks ass end kicks to the right every chance i'm on the throttle.

I have been driving a truck that makes 792whp with caltracs, xmetel drop, qa1's, poly bushings with out a problem. There is something wrong with your truck just makes no sense any other way.
Have you ever run it down the strip?

It definately wasnt normal spinning, and after driving normal on the road in 5th gear on and off the gas, i can feel it walking back and forth significantly. i am very used to rear wheel high hp cars/trucks, and know when it breaks traction because of something i did or something wrong. Found the problem today. put it on the lift, went to retorque the ubolts again and one bolt on the passenger side is snapped right at the top of the loop. it still holds tight, but under load it springs apart. only noticed when i put force on it with the wrench. had a local tractor trailer shop make me new ones, and now its better but not perfect. ill give cal's a shot and see if it helps.

That's great you found it man. Another thing you should check is leaf spring and shackles bushings making sure there not worn out and missing chunks. VR1 has a cool new traction system I have them and quality is top notch.

The 4 link with coil overs is the way to go which is what I'm going to do with my truck. Unfortunately there is no pre made kit for our trucks. You would have to get a universal kit and do some fabbing to make it work. Ride tech is the one I'm looking at right now. Btw no need to c notch the frame

The 4 link with coil overs is the way to go which is what I'm going to do with my truck. Unfortunately there is no pre made kit for our trucks. You would have to get a universal kit and do some fabbing to make it work. Ride tech is the one I'm looking at right now. Btw no need to c notch the frame

No need to c-notch the frame for what?

Stanimal mentioned on his first post that he was considering c notching the frame

I will need to c notch the frame, in time. I plan to lower the truck much more. Going to Cnotch the rear, and unsure of what will be done in the front yet. Looking at converting to 1500 spindles and making brackets for the SRT brakes to fit 1500 spindles. That way i can run drop spindles, and probably have to make inner wheel wells and ditch the plastic ones.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back