removing front coil spring

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
to remove the front coil spring raise the front of the vehicle to the highest safest point and support with jackstands.

remove tire and wheel assembly.

Put floor jack under control arm near the outside near balljoint to give better leverage and jack up control arm as far as you can before it starts raising entire truck, this supports the control arm.

next remove the sway bar links from sway bar.

remove lower shock bolt, and actually it will be easier just to remove entire shock.

Next is the tie rod,remove the bolt retaining the tie rod, take a support bar, long tube, something that you can use to put under the tie rod to pry upwards, while prying upwards take a large hammer and smack the spindle at the tie rod area, this shocks the metal and loosens the tie rod from spindle.
Those with air tools can use a pickle fork attachment and pop off the tie rod also.

Next is the remove of the spindle, remove the bolt off the lower ball joint, and once again pry upwards on the spindle assembly, at the same time smack the spindle in the area next to the ball joint, it should pop the spindle loose, raise spindle off the ball joint and push assembly back and support the spindle , taking care to watch the electrical, and brake lines.

Now you should have a free lower control arm supported by the floor jack, SLOWWLY lower the jack, giving yourself enough room to be out of the way of the spring.
Lower the control arm completley untill all pressure is off, slide out spring.

Replace with lowered spring assembley

for those deciding otherwise you are own your own on this, dont take word for gospel, but this is what I did.

cut 1/2 ofthe top coil off and replace coil spring, then measure, if its not enough go 1/4 round at a time, remembering the coil should settle between 1/2inch to a full inch.

I would not suggest going one full coil, it willnot leave very much suspension travel, plus you will end up needing shocks. 3/4 will give a great ride.

while the shock is out, it is a good time if you are lowering your truck to cut off the stock front bump stop assembly, the entire assembly needs to be removed for suspension travel. This is done with a 5 inch wheel grinder and a cutting blade.

then get a short bump stop they actuall look flat , and find where the lower control arm will hit the frame and drill and install new bump stop.

Next reisnstall the control arm , shock, tierod, ball joint, and sway bar link.

taking in mind to torque the tie rod and ball joint to factory specs.

You WILL need to get the vehicle aligned, it is a must!

take in mind also if you decide to go very low with your lowering kit, the upper control arm slots may have to be lengthened by grinding them out.

also remember if lowerin one of our trucks the sway bar links need to be changed to give correct angle, and justin has the answer

and in honesty a bumpsteer kit is needed also.

But remember! a lowered truck can give probleems!!! from harsh ride, to tire hitting innner fender, to driveline vibrations. so do not expect to lower any truck with any kit and it ride like it did when you pulled off the lot!

This is the easiest way I know to pull the front spring and replace it with a lowered spring from one of our vendors kits:D

if any q's please ask.

to remove the front coil spring raise the front of the vehicle to the highest safest point and support with jackstands.

remove tire and wheel assembly.

Put floor jack under control arm near the outside near balljoint to give better leverage and jack up control arm as far as you can before it starts raising entire truck, this supports the control arm.

next remove the sway bar links from sway bar. I recommend completely removing the sway bar links on both sides and pushing sway bar up and out of the way.

Next is the tie rod,remove the bolt retaining the tie rod, take a support bar, long tube, something that you can use to put under the tie rod to pry upwards, while prying upwards take a large hammer and smack the spindle at the tie rod area, this shocks the metal and loosens the tie rod from spindle. I would not recommend hitting our aluminum
remove lower shock bolt, and actually it will be easier just to remove entire shock.
spindles with a hammer, this creates micro-fractures in the aluminum. I used a tie rod puller.

Those with air tools can use a pickle fork attachment and pop off the tie rod also.

Next is the remove of the spindle, remove the bolt off the lower ball joint, and once again pry upwards on the spindle assembly, at the same time smack the spindle in the area next to the ball joint, it should pop the spindle loose, raise spindle off the ball joint and push assembly back and support the spindle , taking care to watch the electrical, and brake lines. when separating the lower ball joint there is not sufficient room to clear the stud on the lower ball joint to get it out of the hole in the spindle. I found it more effective to remove the upper ball joint with a Miller 8677 ball joint separator, I don't recommend hitting the aluminum spindle with a hammer as stated above. The spindle remains attached at the lower ball joint and the entire assembly is lowered with the floor jack placed under the control arm. You also have to loosen the lower control arm bolts on the frame to allow movement of the lower control arm.

Now you should have a free lower control arm supported by the floor jack, SLOWWLY lower the jack, giving yourself enough room to be out of the way of the spring.
Lower the control arm completley untill all pressure is off, slide out spring.

Replace with lowered spring assembley

I removed the cut springs section because, well cutting springs is never a good idea.

Next reisnstall the control arm , shock, tierod, ball joint, and sway bar link.

taking in mind to torque the tie rod and ball joint to factory specs.

You WILL need to get the vehicle aligned, it is a must! You can get your specs close by marking the alignment of the lower control arm bolts, but it is money well spent to get the alignment done right away, so the tires don't get worn out.

take in mind also if you decide to go very low with your lowering kit, the upper control arm slots may have to be lengthened by grinding them out.

also remember if lowerin one of our trucks the sway bar links need to be changed to give correct angle, and justin has the answer

and in honesty a bumpsteer kit is needed also.

But remember! a lowered truck can give probleems!!! from harsh ride, to tire hitting innner fender, to driveline vibrations. so do not expect to lower any truck with any kit and it ride like it did when you pulled off the lot!

This is the easiest way I know to pull the front spring and replace it with a lowered spring from one of our vendors kits:D

if any q's please ask.

I used the search function to see if there was a write up done on this yet. My plan was to make one for anyone looking to tackle a lowering kit by themselves. Overall very well written and recommended.

the items I added are from my experience, some may argue, but this is what worked for me.

You should include pictures

You should include pictures

This was a fun project I did on the ground at home. I was removing the lowering kit on my 06, because the new owner didn't care for the ride with it lowered. I didn't take a lot of pictures. Just this one.
9379b6d33f6faf26072b909618aed8a4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess that works

I only suggest pictures because even though people are pretty good at doing these DIY projects, sometimes a pictures removes all doubt on the what and where.

I guess that works

I only suggest pictures because even though people are pretty good at doing these DIY projects, sometimes a pictures removes all doubt on the what and where.

I completely agree. Next time I do one I'll take a bunch of pics.

Cool, because there's people like me that only look at pictures :D

This was a fun project I did on the ground at home. I was removing the lowering kit on my 06, because the new owner didn't care for the ride with it lowered. I didn't take a lot of pictures. Just this one.
9379b6d33f6faf26072b909618aed8a4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To his unfortunate decision... The ride difference is pretty much unnoticeable with the 1"-2" drop. To each their own I guess. Now I'm going to go in the corner and cry.... poor ol' girl :bawling:

I've seen worse :(

To his unfortunate decision... The ride difference is pretty much unnoticeable with the 1"-2" drop. To each their own I guess. Now I'm going to go in the corner and cry.... poor ol' girl :bawling:

it's nothing like it was the day I picked it up. New owner took delivery today also.

i have all the pics and step by step when i did the 1/2 kit on the 04 truck... guess i could make the write-up...
but that would take time...

do it! Who are you any way? You don't look like someone who frequents this place.

part of the fly by crew

Great write-up Stink! I will have to save this for the foreseeable future since I'm wanting to make some suspension changes very soon.

Actually I would appreciate some input on my current problem. I currently have the x-metal drop kit (2in front, 4in in the back) and the pics I've attached are how the truck sits today. I don't have the $ for a whole new kit so that's out of the question. I am wanting to raise the front to match it to the rear; if I lower the rear, which I did initially, it bottomed-out on everything so that's a no-go. I am looking for a taller front spring but not tall to the point of returning the front back to stock ride height. What would you recommend? I am planning on using stock bilstein shocks if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMAG0136.jpg
    IMAG0136.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
  • IMAG0137.jpg
    IMAG0137.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
Great write-up Stink! I will have to save this for the foreseeable future since I'm wanting to make some suspension changes very soon.

Actually I would appreciate some input on my current problem. I currently have the x-metal drop kit (2in front, 4in in the back) and the pics I've attached are how the truck sits today. I don't have the $ for a whole new kit so that's out of the question. I am wanting to raise the front to match it to the rear; if I lower the rear, which I did initially, it bottomed-out on everything so that's a no-go. I am looking for a taller front spring but not tall to the point of returning the front back to stock ride height. What would you recommend? I am planning on using stock bilstein shocks if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance.

Just get a 1 inch coil spacer for the front.

Switch out to stock regular cab front springs.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back