Removing Plastic Baffles Behind Grill

BigBlackQC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I removed the plastic baffles behind the grill yesterday and later on was playing around on an empty road. Around 110-120 the hood popped up and was caught by the safety latch, so no damage. My question is: After removing these baffles, who has gone on some high speed runs? I know nowwhat runs 120+ in the 1/4 so I know you've seen these speeds. Has anyone else had a problem with under hood pressure before? I've run these speeds many times before and never had this problem. Any input is greatly appreciated. Also, I need a solution, and putting the baffles back in is not an option because I like the way the truck looks without them.

Thanks!
Joe

Interesting problem Joe. My first thought would be that it is a latch problem rather than the absence of the plastic. I was thinking about doing the same recently, do you have some pics of the front of your truck without the plastic?

They are there for a reason...To deflect the air so that does not happen. Nowwhat has the passanger side out but he has a cone to direct the air into his SC.
You clould always drill holes on your hood and put clips on it...:D :ahhhhh:

I have been 130+ multiple times with them off and no problems. I think you have a problem with your latch.

I have mine out where the blower inlet system is. On the driver side Joe Donovan trimmed around parts of it for Boomers heat exchanger to work properly, otherwise we left it in.

has anyone else had a problem? I have mine out and I think the air cooling the engine can't possibly hurt (not like we have the coolest running engines ever...) but I sure as hell don't want my hood smashing into the windshield!

Is there anyone that has a contact with Chrysler...so that these kind of questions could be addressed to the engineers that designed the truck? Seems like we have eight or ten questions that were probably addressed by engineering studies in the development process...I hope...we can speculate all we want, but (and I really hate to say this) the engineers look at these things and can address the questions much better than most of us...OK Silverback...there was your straight line...hit me with your best shot.

Mike and me only took-out one side. We left the drivers side intack...
I have been 145+ with this set-up.

Quick

Last edited:
Prof said:
Is there anyone that has a contact with Chrysler...so that these kind of questions could be addressed to the engineers that designed the truck? Seems like we have eight or ten questions that were probably addressed by engineering studies in the development process...I hope...we can speculate all we want, but (and I really hate to say this) the engineers look at these things and can address the questions much better than most of us...OK Silverback...there was your straight line...hit me with your best shot.

Hey Roy,

I know that the little indent on the passenger side is to channel the air to the fender then to the air box. They have those baffles for a reason. but then again everything that is added to these trucks seems to be so that we dont blow them up before the warranty is over. :D

Those plastic panels were put there to limit the amount of air that gets into the engine compartment at high speed. By removing them you will not be able go as fast as you would with them. That being said, does anyone here go top speed very often? Probably not, so do what makes you happy.

Bill.

I looked at that when I first purchased my truck. On the left side a portion is formed to allow direct outside air to channel to the stock air cleaner box ie CAI Dodge version. Why on the right and so large for both panels? Imho the engineers were concerned about cooling. Putting the panels in place puts high pressure directly in front fo the radiator thus forcing more air through the radiator. Much like radiator cowls found on the other side of the radiator. The cowls help pull additional air through. In my previous experiences pulling the cowl would often lead to overheat situations when the vehicle is pushed hard. I left mine in place for this reason. We deal with a bit more heat related issues here in Phoenix....

I have had both of mine out since I bought it and had it 120+ on several occasions without any issues. I'm sure your problem is related to the latch. Are you sure you closed it all the way?

Joe, couldn't wait any longer for pictures...so I pulled mine too. Looks much better without them...I never drive over the speed limit so my hood should not come loose.:D

As far as the cooling issue is concerned... Coolant and Oil temps are drastically reduced when the baffles are removed. I have a 170 thermostat and a stock pcm and this is the first time that in 90 degree weather the truck runs around 180 oil temp and coolant temp. With the baffles in, the truck was running 205-210 for both. I don't know what technical reason would cause that, but that's what I've found over the past 2 days.

As for the hood latch, I am pretty darn sure the hood was shut all the way, but can anyone pm me or let me know how to adjust the hood latch to make it tighter (more secure) ??? Thanks in advance!

Joe

Prof said:
Joe, couldn't wait any longer for pictures...so I pulled mine too. Looks much better without them...I never drive over the speed limit so my hood should not come loose.:D

Sorry Roy.... at work with no camera... I'll make it up to you! :)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back