resonation- how do i fix this?

RUFROZN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without going to a cat mid set up- how can i stay with my cat-less mids but cut down the resonation at freeway speeds? its not bad up front -but in the back seat its loud & the revirberation is terrible- any answers-Thanks

I had the same problem, so pitched the Magnaflow and reinstalled the stock catback, problem is gone. Another option I was contemplating was to install Random mufflers in the mids, but it would be a tight fit, maybe not so tight on the QC.

Keep the catless mids and re-install the STOCK muffler.You will also need an X or H pipe(otherwise it sounds horrible !). MAYBE another muffler will help,but with the MagnaFlow ,it seems that resonation is a given.

If you look, the stock muffler is straight-through.

i pitched the stock muffler- ok which vendor is going to hook me up with some mopar stuff to elimate this problem???

alot of guys installed the stock resonator back in for this magnaflow problem..... ask prof, i think he did it..... probably someone got one lying around.....
didn't have this issue with my B&B exhaust.......:D

Make sure the exhaust isn't rubbing on something, and the hangers are nice and loose (not stressed). ;) Also, tighten up your clamps..... Mine got loose. I tightened them up and it sounds much better. :)

HOT RAM said:
Keep the catless mids and re-install the STOCK muffler.You will also need an X or H pipe(otherwise it sounds horrible !)

Are you positive about the "H" improving the sound? If it makes a big difference I'm taking it to the shop this week!

You can also install sound deadening material to reduce the sound in the cabin. I installed some in my doors and the back wall but did not pull my seats up. The noise is greatly reduced when the windows are up but the truck still sounds bad-ass outside.

Just a thought.

SRT-MIKE said:
Are you positive about the "H" improving the sound? If it makes a big difference I'm taking it to the shop this week!

Made a HUGE difference in mine.Mellowed it out and deepened it.Also helped eliminate the cackling/popping.Now it just sounds like it should.I honestly would like it louder out back,but I am very satisfied overall.

I still want an 05 tail pipe section with the resonators to see how that sounds.

Stinker turned me on to this fix (the H pipe).He can probably offer more advice than I can.

Black1 said:
Make sure the exhaust isn't rubbing on something, and the hangers are nice and loose (not stressed). ;) Also, tighten up your clamps..... Mine got loose. I tightened them up and it sounds much better. :)

Def check this!!!! After spending some bucks on exhaust and having it installed, I developed a horrible resonation problem. Notice I said 'had'. This was remedied when one day, I noticed at idle, some unusual sounds going on. Some clanging, banging, metal on metal noise was happening! I crawled under the truck to check it out, and, found the 'second from the rear' exhaust grommet was gone, and, as a result, the exhaust hanger itself was hitting my newly installed Borla exhaust! Got the clearance issue fixed, and, by gosh, my 'drone' sound (2700 - 3500 RPM) was gone, too. Now, I am very, very, pleased with my exhaust note. I am however checking into the addition of an H-pipe setup.

You can add 2 resonators behind the muffler to cut the resonance way down.
Just a couple of straight through glass packs will cut the anoying noise way down.

I put a Magnaflow catback system on the 04 Ranger and the drone at freeway speeds was awful. Added an 18" glasspack behind the muffler and it was just fine.

If you do change mufflers use an X pipe instead of a H pipe they work better and sound better.

I installed 2 Magnaflow 3 inch resonators right at the end of the midpipes. The drone went away but it is still loud.

I did exactly what BlackViper said.

I have mopar long tube, full cat delete and magnaflow muffler...I put magnaflow resonators in front of the muffler, and eliminated the resonance.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back