Resurfacing flywheel?

evanandretti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are our flywheels supposed to be resurfaced? Just read somewhere that they shouldnt be. My clutch chatters when releasing it... i was told it would go away when it breaks in... hasn't - with 2000 miles. Thoughts?

i have been told not a good idea, mostly because of the hyd. throw out bearin.

your movin the clutch further away & might not be enough travel to work right.

if ya could shim the throw out bearin the same distance that was removed from the flywheel, can't see any prob.

but shims?????

have ya checked out those chromemoly flywheels???

seems the best compirmise between stock & alunimun

Hmm... what would cause a chatter then? The whole truck shakes unless I ride the clutch. Really annoying when I'm trying to go really slow.

You are in the same boat I am. Mine has does this since I bought it and have been driving over a year like that. Pain in the ass when traffic is slowly inching forward.

I believe it's time to drop the trans and find out what mess I've got in there. I swear it looks like my bell housing is ready to blow off like the fuel pump on Back To The Future III - Delorean. Can't take clutch out slowly, have to do it quickly!

Doesn't slip at all and is very grabby when dumped. So launching is a kick in the seat.

Last edited:
This is with a new clutch and rebuilt tranny... is there anything I can do about going back to who did the work? I can see them not doing anything about it. Would a new flywheel fix it? Thats the only thing i can see it being...?

when i've had clutch chatter in the past, it was usually fluid getting on the clutch & flywheel - slave cylinder leak? also, on the stock flywheel, it's not worth the issues to resurface when a new one's like $125.00..... :dontknow:

Hmm... well there was absolutely no chatter before. Then new clutch went it and thenit started immediately. They told me it would quit when it was broken in. I assume they would of caught any leaks??

what kind of clutch? and the flywheel should've been resurfaced or replaced when they put it in, you always put the new clutch with a fresh friction surface. as far as shimming the slave goes thats no big deal, when you switch to the viper master/slave setup the viper slave is shimmed to make it work in our trucks anyway.

Long story...

BUT an OEM clutch was put back into the truck. :banghead:

when i've had clutch chatter in the past, it was usually fluid getting on the clutch & flywheel - slave cylinder leak? also, on the stock flywheel, it's not worth the issues to resurface when a new one's like $125.00..... :dontknow:

..I have to agree with ole yellar.....new flywheel is not much more than resurfacing...

Then just ride the clutch! It will wear smooth soon . Just needs to burn off the clutch fuzz!!!

Then just ride the clutch! It will wear smooth soon . Just needs to burn off the clutch fuzz!!!

Can anyone else chime in? I've been pretty easy with the clutch... just pretty annoying when trying to go slow. especially when there's people watching.. for example the gas station. Just sounds like shit!

I should add that when the truck warms up it does it worse. When it's been sitting over night it doesn't do it nearly as bad

I was warned by the Viper tech that a resurfaced flywheel would cause chatter...I replaced 2 clutches and installed new flywheels both times...no chatter either time....;)

I was warned by the Viper tech that a resurfaced flywheel would cause chatter...I replaced 2 clutches and installed new flywheels both times...no chatter either time....;)

Hmm... what could I say to the tranny shop to get them to cover labour for a new flywheel? It's under warrenty...???

Are our flywheels supposed to be resurfaced? Just read somewhere that they shouldnt be. My clutch chatters when releasing it... i was told it would go away when it breaks in... hasn't - with 2000 miles. Thoughts?

Hot-Spots can go quite deep and unless you can get rid of ALL of them (for sure) through re-surfacing, it is best just to buy a new one...
Make sure your pressure plate is also a-okay...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back