REVIEW OF ROERACING 710 CAM ONLY

Killemall

Reaction score
"Before I begin, this is the preliminary testing and results from Dyno, Quartermile and Drivability based soley on the first RoeRacing tune sent via email to my SCT tuner. A rough draft tune so to speak"

My viper is a 2003 SRT10...sorry not a truck but same engine so minus differances in drive train loss the results are the same:elefant:

DYNO NUMBERS

In Jan 2011 with the following modifications

Stock cam
Kn air intake
Custom titanium exhaust
No cats
Harland sharp roller rockers
findanza lightweight flywheel
Under drive pully
Abs wires
Baush plugs
Sct tune
Car dynoed 487 rwhp and 522 rwt at BSMs Dynojet

Today in Dec 2011 with the added modifications

RoeRacing 710 cam
Behive springs at 600 lift
Forged pushrods
Gen4 head gaskets (slightly thinner than Gen3)
Revised sct tune
Car dynoed 527 rwhp and 556 rwt at BSMs Dynojet

Thats a 40 rwhp and 34rwt gain.

This is still on the initial tune sent from RoeRacing. The Air Fuel Ratio was a very rich and a power robbing 11.3 from 4800 rpm to 6000 rpm. We belieave that with a retune from RoeRacing that has the Air fuel Ratio at 13.0 another 25-35 rwhp will be gained

IN SHORT THE 710 CAMSHAFT IS ACTUALLY CAPABLE OF THE 50-70 HP GAIN ROERACING ADVERTISES WITH ZERO HEADWORK

Dyno testing of the revised SCT tune to have the Air Fuel Ratio at 13.0 will be conducted Saturday 24 Dec 2011

QUARTERMILE

1000 feet elevation in tropical temperatures rangeing from 73-77 degree Hawaiian night time air. Surface is non prepped and rear tire psi is 28 psi warm on all quartermile passes

Quartermile testing with stock cam and modifications at 487 rwhp revealed consistent 11.8-12.0 at 120-122 mph

Quartermile testing with 710 cam and modifications at 527 rwhp revealed consistent 11.5-11.7 at 123-125 mph

Again the 710 camshafts performance data is based on the initial SCT tune with the rich 11.3 Air Fuel Ratio

DRIVABILITY

This was my biggest concern when contemplating the 710 camshaft.

WITHOUT A DOUBT THIS IS NO CONCERN AT ALL. THE EXHAUST NOTE SOUNDS LUMPIER THAN WITH THE STOCK CAMSHAFT BUT THE 710 CAMMED SRT10 VIPER DRIVES JUST LIKE A STOCK 2003 VIPER.

VIDEO OF 710 CAMSHAFT SOUND

ROERACING 710 CAMSHAFT FOR 03-06 SRT10 - YouTube

CHRISTMAS EVE redyno with new SCT :burnout:

bet that lil bump in compression helped a bit, too...

ACTUALLY what I didnt tell you is in between my stock camshaft and the roe racing 710 camshaft I had the competition coupe camshaft "708" installed along with the thinner gen4 headgaskets.

That setup revealed 499 rwhp 545 rwt and quartermile time averages of 11.7-11.9 at 121-123 mph.

So even with the 708 cam and 710 cam both haveing the gen4 gaskets raising compression from 9.6 to 9.88 the 710 cam still gained 28 rwhp with a 11.3 AFR verses the 708 cams tuned perfectly via sct 13.0 AFR.

In short. Roeracing has desighned a hell of a cam that actually makes outstanding power.

Think about it. A 40 rwhp gain over stock with low 11s AFR???

Pretty amazeing

That's the most I've ever seen from just a cam thanks for sharing. Were the springs a direct drop in or did it require machining the heads?

The 710 cam is a very lumpy cam with a range of 3500-6200 rpm. If you spend any time on the highway in high gear, vacuum will be very low which means brakes would be sluggish at best and would not be very efficient. 6 gear on our trucks would be useless! how is your viper on real drivability ? once the novelty of the sound and performance at the higher rpm range becomes old?

The 710 cam is a very lumpy cam with a range of 3500-6200 rpm. If you spend any time on the highway in high gear, vacuum will be very low which means brakes would be sluggish at best and would not be very efficient. 6 gear on our trucks would be useless! how is your viper on real drivability ? once the novelty of the sound and performance at the higher rpm range becomes old?

Slitherbeast is 100% correct! This cam will sound like the shit, but will drive terribly in our trucks due to the weight! This cam will not make power until halfway through our rev range, and we need the torque down low rather than the top half of the RPM band. You CAN make a nice choppy cam that will perform very well without losing the lower range of power. This cam is more for the car and even will make 6th useless in that 3200lbs.:argh:

hey killem, your arms sure are white for livin in hawaii.

nice ride tho man, love the yellow/black. i have always loved the sound of an aggressive lope.

BTW, nice pinkie ring, hahahahaaahahaha

Here is Sheldon's 06 QC with a ROE 710 cam and MBRP exhaust.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly40Ono4hwg&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL]Ram SRT10 MBRP 4" Exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Not saying Roe doesnt produce great stuff, because they do , Sean is an expert in the viper field

but your numbers dont add up?

what you are saying is and correct me if wrong

that with the gold head gaskets that usually bump compression up about .3-.4 points and a 708 cam only produced 12 hp? even with the air fuel ratio being the same on both?

that really dont seem to correct we usually see more than that with jsut a head gasket replacement?
jumping 3 points with the gasket alone usually nets pretty good and the 708 cam is usually good for at least 20-30 all by itself?although I am not a big fan of the 708 cam in our trucks the profile is all wrong for our wieght.

it must be one wild combo for the lift to produce 28 more hp over the 708?

even with jsut the push rods and springs, we have seen a couple on top since the oem push rods flex so much on top end it actually changes the profile of the cam, there alone is a couple top end hp.

eh, who knows, seen some crazy numbers on stuff latley:D
Rock on~!

I will do my best

-its not a pinky ring dammit. Its an Army Infantry ring I got 15 years ago when I was a buck 70. Now Im 2 bucks and 25 cents so it dosent fit anymore!

-I dont have the famous gold gaskets that raise your compression to 10.0 or 10.2. Ive just got stock gen4 gaskets that raise my compression from 9.6 to 9.8

-my 708 cam and gen4 gaskets gave me 12 rwhp and 23 rwt advantage over the stock cam peak power. But under the curve from 2500 rpm to 5000 rpm it was 25 rwhp and 30 rwt advantage. Its a better cam than many give it credit for and it gained me a solid 1 mph advantage in the quartermile. Considering I bought mine brand new for 400 bucks and paid 1400 for the install as it uses stock springs and rods. I have nothing bad to say about the 708 camshaft.

-my drivability is amazingly just like stock. This is my third viper and Ive been driving them since 06. Drivability on my car is amazeing. Honestly I think its better than stock because on the stock cam and the 708 cam down low was quite torquey even when I didnt want it to be. This 710 cam seems much more docile in the low rpms. Its no pussy cat down low but not the constantly bucking bull at low rpm like the stock and 708 cam. I must mention that my 0-60 and 1/8 times with the 710 cam were nearly identical to the 708 cam. It was the big half were the 710 cam had a 2 mph advantage over the 708. Suggesting that in its current tune the 710 cam is milder down low and why Im enjoying drivability.

-I have no idea how this cam performs in a Ram srt. But I do know what it does in a SRT10 engine like we all have. Though I stated above that the 1/8 mile results from the 710 cam only matched my 708 cam. Thats still not week or slow on the low end as they are both faster than the stock cam through the 1/8. Unfortunetly I can onlybtell you my experience on my viper car. But my OPINION is that any gen 3 viper engined vehicle would benifit from this camshaft.

Back