S&W SIGMA 9MM/.40CAL on sale - Anyone shoot it?

Bone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
S&W SIGMA 9MM/.40CAL on sale - Anyone shoot it?

It is on sale at Academy Sports and Outdoors
329.99 to 299.99 then a 50 dollar mail in rebate (plus two mags) = 249.99

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=catalog&target=weeklyad&pgNum=7

Looking to see if anyone has shot it or owns one? I may run up to to Macon and grab one at this price. Really just looking for opinion on this weapon, not recommendations for others. I like most of you have multiple weapons.

I'm sure Jake will chime in.

The gun frame is manufactured from polymer, while the slide and barrel use either stainless steel or carbon steel. In 1996, Smith & Wesson updated the Sigma by adding a compact model by shortening the barrel (from 4-1/2 to 4 inches)and again in 1999, modified the series by changing the grip by adding checkering and adding an integral accessory rail for lights and laser target designators.

SIGMA side by side with M&P version:
2-26-07-028.jpg

Attachments

• 2683084502.jpg
    2683084502.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Well.... you said it... I will chime in. :D :eek:

Obviously, it's a DAO (Double Action Only), striker-fired (no hammer) pistol. Most call these "Glock clones". Polymer frame with a stainless slide. These guns were notorious in the 90's for being the worst gun in S&W's line-up. But, they seem to have regained some level of dignity in the last few years with some production changes.

The only two compaints I've heard about are: 1. The ENORMOUS amount of trigger pull... something like 9-11lbs! :eek: (But, all DAO pistols have a heavy trigger as a safety feature). and 2. They're are no Crimson Trace grips available for it. (The people I've seen that post reviews on the Sigma say it is very accurate and reliable, however.)

The Sigma usually can be bought for about $250 (including the $50 factory rebate). And two extra mags are offered from S&W for free with receipt. They offer 16rd mags too! :rock: (The gun comes with 2-10rd mags, I believe). I think it's a decent gun for that amount of money, Dave.... Just be sure to get one that's been manufactured in the last few years (you can check the date on the envelope from the spent casing supplied with the gun ;) )

Here's a bigger picture for reference. :)

MVC-024F.jpg

Thanks for the info. I saw these advertised recently and was kinda wondering about the quality as well. Looks like a decent deal!

Black1 said:

Obviously, it's a DAO (Double Action Only), striker-fired (no hammer) pistol. Most call these "Glock clones". Polymer frame with a stainless slide. These guns were notorious in the 90's for being the worst gun in S&W's line-up. But, they seem to have regained some level of dignity in the last few years with some production changes.

The only two compaints I've heard about are: 1. The ENORMOUS amount of trigger pull... something like 9-11lbs! :eek: (But, all DAO pistols have a heavy trigger as a safety feature). and 2. They're are no Crimson Trace grips available for it. (The people I've seen that post reviews on the Sigma say it is very accurate and reliable, however.)

The Sigma usually can be bought for about $250 (including the $50 factory rebate). And two extra mags are offered from S&W for free with receipt. They offer 16rd mags too! :rock: (The gun comes with 2-10rd mags, I believe). I think it's a decent gun for that amount of money, Dave.... Just be sure to get one that's been manufactured in the last few years (you can check the date on the envelope from the spent casing supplied with the gun ;) )

Here's a bigger picture for reference. :)

MVC-024F.jpg

By the way.. which would you purchase? 9mm or .40 and why? Thanks for the assist!

Bone said:

Just like anything... I tend to lean towards internet forums for the real skinny on products. :) If you haven't already joined US Concealed Carry, it's a great website for Personal Defense gear, issues, and news. Here is their website: www.usconcealedcarry.com . They have a great forum, but I think you have to be a member to read it..... anyway, here is a link to some stuff on the sigma.

http://www.uscca.us/forum/showthread.php?t=3616&highlight=S&W+Sigma

:)

ohiosrt10 said:
By the way.. which would you purchase? 9mm or .40 and why? Thanks for the assist!

Personally, I like 40cal. The reason the .40cal was developed was to have a bullet that mimicked .45cal ballistics in a smaller, less recoil package. The bullet is just that. They wanted a smaller cartridge, so they could fit more capacity in a small handgun. Most "single stack" 1911 model .45's can hold 8 rounds (7+1 in the chamber). A typical .40cal weapon can hold 10 - 14 rounds (depending on the capacity of the magazine). And the recoil is a little less than the .45 (unless the gun is very light. Then I actually think it has MORE recoil than an all steel 1911).

A 9mm weapon can hold more rounds still (10 - 16 rds in the Sigma)... But, the 9mm cartridge isn't as powerful. To me, it's really the effectiveness of the FIRST SHOT that matters in a bad situation. If the dude is the size of a house, you're in trouble with a 9mm.... But, that's just my opinion. :eek: ;)

I carry a .45.... :rock:

Black1 said:
Personally, I like 40cal. The reason the .40cal was developed was to have a bullet that mimicked .45cal ballistics in a smaller, less recoil package. The bullet is just that. They wanted a smaller cartridge, so they could fit more capacity in a small handgun. Most "single stack" 1911 model .45's can hold 8 rounds (7+1 in the chamber). A typical .40cal weapon can hold 10 - 14 rounds (depending on the capacity of the magazine). And the recoil is a little less than the .45 (unless the gun is very light. Then I actually think it has MORE recoil than an all steel 1911).

A 9mm weapon can hold more rounds still (10 - 16 rds in the Sigma)... But, the 9mm cartridge isn't as powerful. To me, it's really the effectiveness of the FIRST SHOT that matters in a bad situation. If the dude is the size of a house, you're in trouble with a 9mm.... But, that's just my opinion. :eek: ;)

I carry a .45.... :rock:

GREAT INFO. Thanks! :rock: :rock: :rock:

I don't know much about those models, but I did have the Sigma 380, which was a great gun for carrying. About the size of a cell phone, right in your pocket hehe.

OCBob said:
I don't know much about those models, but I did have the Sigma 380, which was a great gun for carrying. About the size of a cell phone, right in your pocket hehe.

Something like this one, Bob? :confused:

Hsw380L.gif

.... it's too bad they don't make them anymore. I heard they were good little guns. I think it would be much better than a Kel-Tec. :dontknow:

Unable to resist at that price! :D
S&W 40 Cal, 4 Mags, 50 rebate, case, and gun lock.

sw1.JPG

SW2.JPG

SW3.JPG

Here's a few different size bullets side by side.

22L x 32 x 40 x 45

100_1505.jpg

You can see the .40 cal is somewhat close to a .45 in size.

Black1 said:
Just like anything... I tend to lean towards internet forums for the real skinny on products. :) If you haven't already joined US Concealed Carry, it's a great website for Personal Defense gear, issues, and news. Here is their website: www.usconcealedcarry.com . They have a great forum, but I think you have to be a member to read it..... anyway, here is a link to some stuff on the sigma.

http://www.uscca.us/forum/showthread.php?t=3616&highlight=S%26amp%3BW+Sigma

:)
Just what I need, another forum.:eek:

Bone said:
Just what I need, another forum.:eek:

:D I have 6-10 up at any given time on my computer... :eek: Depending on if there is something going on at the Diesel sites. :)

...... I'm a BIG f*ckin NERD. :bebored: :elefant:

I can't keep up with all of them.

Black1 said:

They offer 16rd mags too! :rock: (The gun comes with 2-10rd mags, I believe). I think it's a decent gun for that amount of money, Dave.... Just be sure to get one that's been manufactured in the last few years (you can check the date on the envelope from the spent casing supplied with the gun ;) )

The Sigma is amazing light, probably due to the polymer frame. Definitely feels like a glock too.

The trigger pull is no more than the military 9mm's I am used to shooting in double action. But still a relatively heavy trigger.

The clips are both 14 round clips.

Built in Accessory rail.

It had a 2008 Feb date and inspection on it. Very nice.

The handle grip feels good, extremely comfortable.

The 3 white dots are easily seen.

It has a loaded chamber indicator so you don't have to open the slide open to see through the breech hole. Probably tough to see at night or low light however.

(The rebate is only good for purchase of 1 gun/weapon. )

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back