Seeking Advice/Military guys

Lot of luck with the Military and your Flying.... :)

I can say that during these times you could do a lot worse than a position in the military. If you were to go Officer and stay for Twenty Years, Retire at 42, you would put abou $6,000 a month in your pocket for retirement plus what you earn in a civilian job... With just a little planning you could be bringing in well over $10,000 a month. And that is without mentioning the Medical for Life and all the other Educational Perks... :D

Really not a bad life :)

Da1Chief said:
Lot of luck with the Military and your Flying.... :)

I can say that during these times you could do a lot worse than a position in the military. If you were to go Officer and stay for Twenty Years, Retire at 42, you would put abou $6,000 a month in your pocket for retirement plus what you earn in a civilian job... With just a little planning you could be bringing in well over $10,000 a month. And that is without mentioning the Medical for Life and all the other Educational Perks... :D

Really not a bad life :)
Maybe as an O-7 (6K/month at 20 years).

O-5 would be 4K/month at 20 years. Or 30 years for O-5.

Nevertheless, 401K (TSP) option for the military now too.

Post 9/11 GI Bill is great improvement over Mont GI Bill, plus you can pass benefits to dependents and spouse. Still has some flaws however.

bone sorry you have to go to dyess afb lol, i spent my first 4 years of the Air Force stationed there... wasnt fun, thank goodness as SF I deployed a few times out of there!

yeah that would suck, but I dont see that happening, I have 7 years left till i retire!!

scoobert said:
wouldn't it suck if you put in 16 years and we were taken over by iran? no pension for you!

That would be the least of our worries.

eh, America is headed that way now. only the military can do nothing about it.
i would hate to be the family of a soldier that dies now....

could you imagine hearing....
on behalf of president obama i present you with this flag?
*GAG*

wow thanks guys for all the info.. Bone i will more than likely be sending you a PM or 2 seems like you know whats going on.. i'm really unsure of what i would like to be doing i know i love flying and i would love goig to work to fly everyday.. my entire family is military so.. i guess theres my answer... Rotor or fixed wing i would be happy

No doubt on the swimming stuff... Dunker every six years, shallow water egress training every year, and 75 yard swim test in flight gear every year but it's all easy.

05SRTQC said:
No doubt on the swimming stuff... Dunker every six years, shallow water egress training every year, and 75 yard swim test in flight gear every year but it's all easy.
hmmm i am advanced diver.. and can swim good... there are just to many ways to go

Tooloe said:
wow thanks guys for all the info.. Bone i will more than likely be sending you a PM or 2 seems like you know whats going on.. i'm really unsure of what i would like to be doing i know i love flying and i would love goig to work to fly everyday.. my entire family is military so.. i guess theres my answer... Rotor or fixed wing i would be happy

Well, it's a huge airshow, what better time to talk to the aircrew and see the jets.

I have the keys to mine and I can break into it at the show. Won't be able to take it in the air till after the show however. They don't want me to show up the Thunderbirds.

SRTZX said:
bone sorry you have to go to dyess afb lol, i spent my first 4 years of the Air Force stationed there... wasnt fun, thank goodness as SF I deployed a few times out of there!

It's the Bone (B-one) Reunion and Dyess Airshow, should be a blast. No pun intended.

I was there twice for a combined 3 years. 28th BS and 9th BS.

Ok fellas im a SSG in the Army....I'm actually in Army aviation currently (Apache crewchief) ......Now what you choose depends on what you really want....if you want a full time job and want to be in the military dont go reserves or guard.......You would be active and get paid as being active while youre in training but once its all over youll go to being a weekend warrior.....If thats what you want go for it, if not join as active duty.......
Now everyone thats in the service knows....the easiest most laid back branch is the AIRFORCE.......they just hands down treat there airman better, have better standards of living, only deploy for 6 months vesus 12, standards are more laid back......if i could go back and do it again, i would probably stay Army just because I like the Army but i still recommend anyone to Airforce....especially if they have a degree and want to be a pilot.....Do good in flight school, (which Tooloe you should do great with you already having knowlegde in the field) and you'll get top pick of what you want to fly.....

DevilDawg3097 said:
They truly have the best dress uniform(officer bastards) :D

I was always kind of partial to my SNCO evening dress. Never could afford the cape though........:D

05SRTQC said:
Coast Guard aviation is the best kept secret in he Armed Forces. It's normally a 9 to 5 job, relaxed military structure with the Navy ranks. The aircraft are limited to HC130, HC144, G5, and for now the HU25 on the fixed wind side. Rotary wings are the HH65 and HH60. Another huge perk is USCG aviators are always stationed in the States and Puerto Rico. The is a little info on gocoastguard.com about some of the programs they offer. Good luck with which ever path you choose.
I agree, Coast Guard is great path to follow, especially if you can get into the USCGA in New Haven.

Last edited:
Troy's QC SRT said:
Ok fellas im a SSG in the Army....I'm actually in Army aviation currently (Apache crewchief) ......Now what you choose depends on what you really want....if you want a full time job and want to be in the military dont go reserves or guard.......You would be active and get paid as being active while youre in training but once its all over youll go to being a weekend warrior.....If thats what you want go for it, if not join as active duty........

I'm not sure where that is coming from, but I am Air Guard (Active aka AGR) and I will receive a full Federal retirement in less than two years. 99% the same as my Air Force counterparts.

You can even be a Civil Service working in a military uniform and get two retirements, FERS and Guard at age 60 (minus Federal title 10 time(overseas)). Now that is a very sweet deal.

However, if you want a civilian job and still serve your country, you can do that also (weekend warrior).

Bone said:
I'm not sure where that is coming from, but I am Air Guard (Active aka AGR) and I will receive a full Federal retirement in less than two years. 99% the same as my Air Force counterparts.

You can even be a Civil Service working in a military uniform and get two retirements, FERS and Guard at age 60 (minus Federal title 10 time(overseas)). Now that is a very sweet deal.

However, if you want a civilian job and still serve your country, you can do that also (weekend warrior).

I'm just saying that Air Guard is more of a part time job rather than full time if money is an issue.....AGR is better in some ways cause usually you can get hired the same place you work at as a civi and make more....whne its time for drill just change suits.....at least thats with aviation since aircraft must always be maintained.....

Remember one thing about the Corp, they won't only teach you to fly, they will teach you to lead men also. Also you would be swinging with the wing (some lazy sob's to marine standards :aetsch::itsme:) J/k although it is not like division or group, although as an officer you can end up at any unit if you are not a good pilot:D:(:flybye::willy:

i do agree that the corp has the highest standards as far as disicpline and leading soldiers from what ive seen.....I'm still Army all the way though Hoah!!!!

Go Navy... If you are looking to fly airlines after the Service. There is a new platform that is going to replace my Aircraft here shortly. It's called the P-8 (Modified 737)...but I'm sure that could get your foot in the door later! ;) Just get your degree before you enter!!!

Just do what works for you. :)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back