Shifter squeaks

C'mon guys, its gotta be something besides the loud radio and a shot of spritz. It drives me nuts.

Never had one apart but I would pull the console to get a better look. Pull the splash shield underneath then see if it still squeaks. You should be able to see the shifter now. Try spraying some type of quality lube between the poly & steel parts to see of that helps. Don't over do it. Last is pulling the shifter off the trans! Be carefull not to let any debris fall in the trans. Look for worn parts or anything loose. I think they have 2 adjustable springs on a either side of the stick. My guess would be one of them is doing it. They set how hard you must push to enter the 1-2&5-6 gates. If you need parts some of our venders should be able to help. You will also need silicone gasket maker to seal the shifter back up. Once again don't overdo it just a thin bead.

not sure where the squeak it, but the only place in the shifter is the actual pivot ball, which should have plenty of graphite on the ball, but you can use more or in the spring area, but bets are the squeak could be imminating elsewhere

Thanks guys. Will work on it tomorrow

I crammed mine full of grease before installing it and it hasn't squeaked. Mine does rattle, but I seldom drive anywhere without the radio, so I seldom notice. The biggest complaint I have with mine is that the handle bolts are constantly working themselves loose. Locktight would probably fix it, but I hate that stuff. Eventually I will get some longer bolts and put lock nuts on the back side.

I'll look into getting coated bolts caveman, and to stop the rattle I am looking at doing a buffer in between the lever and the shaft, just a small piece of rubber insulator usually will stop the rattle, It seems its about 50/50, some will have a rattle , and some are quiet as a mouse.

I'll look into getting coated bolts caveman, and to stop the rattle I am looking at doing a buffer in between the lever and the shaft, just a small piece of rubber insulator usually will stop the rattle, It seems its about 50/50, some will have a rattle , and some are quiet as a mouse.

The rattle really doesn't bother me, Tony. If it did, I would do exactly like you said and put a small piece of rubber between the shifter handles. I actually removed the rubber dampener on my factory shifter before I got yours.

Coated bolts are a great idea!

Ok, i have to dust that thread off. I'm not sure anymore if the squeak comes from the shifter. The noise starts usually within about 15 minutes of driving when the gear box gets hot. It shifts with no problems but it squeaks basically between every gear and shifting feels kind of "softer", like something is getting loose. And then, when the truck cools down the squeak is gone and the shifter "feels" like the day i installed it. Please give me some answers before i go somewhere and ask to drop the transmission down.

Ok, i have to dust that thread off. I'm not sure anymore if the squeak comes from the shifter. The noise starts usually within about 15 minutes of driving when the gear box gets hot. It shifts with no problems but it squeaks basically between every gear and shifting feels kind of "softer", like something is getting loose. And then, when the truck cools down the squeak is gone and the shifter "feels" like the day i installed it. Please give me some answers before i go somewhere and ask to drop the transmission down.

Make a video of the sound. That will help us narrow it down.

Did you get a chance to check the rubber dust boot yet? Thought we had a good hunch on this

Make a video of the sound. That will help us narrow it down.

I've heard the squeak. Sounds like wet rubber on rubber. Think armpit farts like little kids do. That immediately popped in my head when I heard it.

Did you get a chance to check the rubber dust boot yet? Thought we had a good hunch on this

Yeah. Removed the rubber boot but the squeak comes back as soon as the tranny gets hot. It sounds like it comes directly from the shifter but I greased the hell out of it. I will post the video tonight.

Damn man...I'd say bring it over and we can dig in tonight, but I'm still down in Mattoon.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back