Shifter squeaks

Check the exhaust pipe for rubbing. Might be the pipe is sittiing on the bracket and squeaking. could be a release bearing as well. difficult to diagnose from here! :)

Dude, that would drive me freaking nuts. You need to put another shifter to make sure that's what it is. Do you still have the stock shifter?

Jesus! Did it get worse? I don't remember it being so loud.

Yeah, I'm with caveman, put the B&M in and see if it changes anything.

Last edited:
That shifter sounds like a 2X4 in a bucket of rocks! The trans does have oil in it right?

Dude, that would drive me freaking nuts. You need to put another shifter to make sure that's what it is. Do you still have the stock shifter?

Still have the B&M. Im glad i didn't sell it. Will try to swap it today. What's weird, on the cold tranny there is no noise at all.

Jesus! Did it get worse? I don't remember it being so loud.

Yeah, I'm with caveman, put the B&M in and see if it changes anything.

It didn't get worse, just when you heard it the truck was sitting for a while. I will try to get home earlier today and put the old shifter in before we go to Babe's. I'm almost ready to go to the garage right now...lol

Found an article with the same symptoms. Guy said it was the rubber boot squealing against the leather, but only when hot. Dont know, could be it I guess. I don't have any boot under my leather.

I gave it one more shot. Took the shifter apart and put some more of that graphite high temp grease. We'll see what happens.

Not yet but stuffing the shifter with grease did not help. I' m just about to take it off again. That sucks. :(

never had a shifter do that chanic, ever, it honestly shouldn't be in the shifter, it could, but I have never had that honestly, to me it almost sounds like the bushing in the trans mount lever, its down in the trans, check the ball part on the lower half of the shifter, in the trans there is a bushing that it sits in, check both of those and let me know

Not yet but stuffing the shifter with grease did not help. I' m just about to take it off again. That sucks. :(

Throw the B&M in there and see what it does. Get video of the bottom of the shifter that's in it and the opening in the transmission, while you are in there.

if it ends up the shifter chaynic I would like it back, we are making another run soon, will gladly work up something because I have never heard that noise at all, and I have heard some really strange stories in my life:rofl:

Throw the B&M in there and see what it does. Get video of the bottom of the shifter that's in it and the opening in the transmission, while you are in there.

Thats what i'm gonna do. Will post the video and pictures tomorrow.

never had a shifter do that chanic, ever, it honestly shouldn't be in the shifter, it could, but I have never had that honestly, to me it almost sounds like the bushing in the trans mount lever, its down in the trans, check the ball part on the lower half of the shifter, in the trans there is a bushing that it sits in, check both of those and let me know

That would make sense Tony. When i was installing the shifter i think i noticed a little crack in this bushing. Will double check it tomorrow. I hope that's what it is. Thanks for keeping my hopes high.. :)

Finally got into it. Here's what i found.
5_zps1fee293f.jpg

1_zpsb9c5f07d.jpg

4_zps5260c61e.jpg

Nothing but the cub/isolator is broken or cracked. Found some oil on the bottom...don't know if its normal or not

upgrade to the bronze bushing while you're in there.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back