So I had a brake pad explode...best upgrade?

Justanotherdodge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to replace my passenger front brake rotor because the pad disintegrated and caused enough damage to the stock rotor to warrant replacement instead of turning. I've heard good things about EBC but the kit I found is only for the 13.4" rotors like the regular rams...so I'd have to replace the calipers. Any recommendations on kits? to either upgrade or should I just replace the front pair of rotors, rebuild the calipers and get a new set of pads?:dontknow:

Link to kit I found.

Why rebuild the calipers if they are working alright? My 04 RC needed brakes, so I went with Cquence rotors, EBC yellow pads, and Tony 's braided steel brake hoses, and the system works really well.

Why rebuild the calipers if they are working alright? My 04 RC needed brakes, so I went with Cquence rotors, EBC yellow pads, and Tony 's braided steel brake hoses, and the system works really well.

Which Cquence rotor's did you go with?

I need to replace my passenger front brake rotor because the pad disintegrated and caused enough damage to the stock rotor to warrant replacement instead of turning. I've heard good things about EBC but the kit I found is only for the 13.4" rotors like the regular rams...so I'd have to replace the calipers. Any recommendations on kits? to either upgrade or should I just replace the front pair of rotors, rebuild the calipers and get a new set of pads?:dontknow:

Link to kit I found.

You won't be able to put regular ram calipers on your truck unless you change entire spindle and front suspension as parts are vastly different bud. New rotors and pads should do ya right up. :burnout:

The caliper on that side seemed like it wasn't fully retracting, which is why I'm thinking the pad is completely gone on that one and the others are fine. Possibly just need a good cleaning to get the pistons moving easily again.

StopTech rotors and EBC pads are the only way to go IMO...

I put 140 miles on a road course a few months ago... ZERO fade, and rotors are still true...

Plus pulling trailers and "spirited" mountain roads...

Got about 6k on this setup and I finally found a combo I liked...

You won't be able to put regular ram calipers on your truck unless you change entire spindle and front suspension as parts are vastly different bud. New rotors and pads should do ya right up. :burnout:
Thanks, I didn't realize the spindle and front susp. parts were that different(aside from the obvious calipers/rotors).

Anyone said anything about which seem to provide the best bang/buck? stock front rotors? any aftermarket ones require new calipers yes?

StopTech rotors and EBC pads are the only way to go IMO...

I put 140 miles on a road course a few months ago... ZERO fade, and rotors are still true...

Plus pulling trailers and "spirited" mountain roads...

Got about 6k on this setup and I finally found a combo I liked...

Best place to get'em?

Found some EBC's on ebay for $200(front rotors only)

These say they'll fit the truck, and I kinda like the look of them. Any thoughts?

Just saw that they are the USR series vs the 3GD series that most of the guys here run. Can someone point out the difference for me besides the obvious difference in price? I feel like I'm missing something.

Last edited:
CALIPER PISTONS

The problem with these big, beautiful calipers is not with finding a magic disc pad. The brake size is huge for this type of truck. The problem is the phenolic caliper pistons. These EXPAND tight in the bore when they are heated. They may remain expanded for years, dragging down the horsepower and the gas mileage. This has happened on my truck, which I recently bought at 115,000 miles on the clock. The former owner pulled an off-shore boat, which greatly heated the brakes. Pistons stuck.
I am currently researching, by dimensions, a chrome steel replacement caliper piston to solve this problem. Dodge and others used phenolics in the 80's, and we had the same problem then, even having to break the piston to get it out.
While it sounds like a good idea to prevent heat from transferring thru the piston into the fluid, these phenolics actually CREATE the heat they were trying to prevent!

The problem with these big, beautiful calipers is not with finding a magic disc pad. The brake size is huge for this type of truck. The problem is the phenolic caliper pistons. These EXPAND tight in the bore when they are heated. They may remain expanded for years, dragging down the horsepower and the gas mileage. This has happened on my truck, which I recently bought at 115,000 miles on the clock. The former owner pulled an off-shore boat, which greatly heated the brakes. Pistons stuck. I am currently researching, by dimensions, a chrome steel replacement caliper piston to solve this problem. Dodge and others used phenolics in the 80's, and we had the same problem then, even having to break the piston to get it out. While it sounds like a good idea to prevent heat from transferring thru the piston into the fluid, these phenolics actually CREATE the heat they were trying to prevent!
Let us know if you find better pistons for them.

Interesting.... Clicking Like to Learn More

these aren't a bad price for the rear $360
and front. $245

that's what Rock Auto returned after I put in my truck info.

Be careful of RockAuto with SRT10 specific parts, which the brakes are. Been there done it, and it was a hassle.

Luckily you have an '05 if your signature block is accurate so caliper parts are still available.

The 15" [ 380 mm ] front rotors are the same for all 3 years, the brake pads however are not.

When I converted my '04 to an '05 front caliper setup I used sp-performance rotors T53-045 and sp-performance pads MD-1085 .. Very low run-out and that coating gets really hard / permanent once you get them hot, zero rust.

You can find these on AMAZON pretty cheap especially compared to EBC. I've had them on there a while now and they are awesome.

--CC

Last edited:
we finally just finished up testing on our rotors and pads, so far great results, have them on 3-4 trucks, and one challey, we will also have the option of getting them cryoed for extra performance, trying to keep the price to a minimum right now

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back