Something concerning

CantEven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Posting this hoping someone will have some idea on what happened and a way to fix it/prevent it from happening again.
The other day I was driving the truck (2005 QC) up a hill to merge onto the freeway. I pushed it to try to get up to highway speeds and it started stuttering/jerking back and forth, almost like the transmission was engaging and disengaging. The transmission has been rebuit already. No codes and other than that no issues driving. Im afraid to push the truck now just in case it happens again. Any idea what it could be? Has any else experienced this? I do plan on checking/changing oil and trans fluid. Ill also hook up a reader to see if there are any "hidden" codes.

Check trans Fluid level and condition,, smells , burnt looking on the dip stick ..
is it shifting properly when normal driving ?
Check the TV cable intact and connected , adjustment !
Then drop the pan and look for problems , sediment in the pan , burnt fluid , loose parts etc .
Not sure on the PCM having problems but could be a possibility.. Ronnie can give some great tips and insight on the autos .

Good luck with your transmission.

My elderly mom had a similar experience the other day in her vehicle. She forgot to release the parking brake :eek:

Posting this hoping someone will have some idea on what happened and a way to fix it/prevent it from happening again.
The other day I was driving the truck (2005 QC) up a hill to merge onto the freeway. I pushed it to try to get up to highway speeds and it started stuttering/jerking back and forth, almost like the transmission was engaging and disengaging. The transmission has been rebuit already. No codes and other than that no issues driving. Im afraid to push the truck now just in case it happens again. Any idea what it could be? Has any else experienced this? I do plan on checking/changing oil and trans fluid. Ill also hook up a reader to see if there are any "hidden" codes.
What does your engine have for mods?

Unfortunately, if the transmission has started doing what you describe, there is no adjustment that can be done to fix it.
Changing fluid and adjusting the front and rear bands won't help it out at this point either. There isn't any good news, sorry.
As suggested, pull the stick and have a look as dark smelly fluid (like burnt toast) is a clear indicator things have gone south.

Last edited:
I read through your previous transmission rebuild thread, that's been seven years ago so possibly it's just time for another rebuild or a new one? Either way, good luck with it!

The 48RE is BARELY strong enough to survive much beyond the basic stuff typically done to engines.
They can however be built with tough parts to last for a long time.
There is a reason the QCs had such a lame tune.

Last edited:
Good luck with your transmission.

My elderly mom had a similar experience the other day in her vehicle. She forgot to release the parking brake :eek:
I’ve done that myself ,, I just love the smell of burning brakes in the morning hahaha

What does your engine have for mods?

Unfortunately, if the transmission has started doing what you describe, there is no adjustment that can be done to fix it.
Changing fluid and adjusting the front and rear bands won't help it out at this point either. There isn't any good news, sorry.
As suggested, pull the stick and have a look as dark smelly fluid (like burnt toast) is a clear indicator things have gone south.
When I first bought the 10 and decided to ask the dealer about band adjustments.. he told me that there were no band adjustments anymore . Hahaha ! I knew better ! Just another reason NOT TO GO TO A DEALER FOR ANYTHING .

The 48RE is BARELY strong enough to survive much beyond the basic stuff typically done to engines.
They can however be built with tough parts to last for a long time.
There is a reason the QCs had such a lame tune.
Mines held up so far with a tune and a valve body with shift kit from Suncoast ..

Maybe it's time for a swap! Everyone loves shifting gears! Lol lol

Maybe it's time for a swap! Everyone loves shifting gears! Lol lol
Or maybe someone finally came up with a 6 speed auto for the 10 ..it was talked about on here years ago and I thought they may have come up with one ???

A shift kit delays the overlap of the 1-2 shift in particular, (a very good thing).
The valve body from Suncoast ,, I’m not actually sure what they actually did to modify it .. wasn’t cheap and the core cost was nuts ,, I ate the core and still have my stock one that I added a transformer shift kit to begin with .. I easily noticed the difference between the sun coast and the trans go kit I installed .. it’s can get very tricky on a wet day starting off at a stop light .. easily breaks the tries lose under light throttle .

I should get a shift kit!

Oh yah I did! It eliminated the overlap of the 2-3 shift!
X-Metal GEN X, thanks BOOMER

:cool:
But did you added a clutch peddle extension to shorten the reach and shift faster .. I know those old Phone books make it easier to see ver the steering wheel hahaha

But did you added a clutch peddle extension to shorten the reach and shift faster .. I know those old Phone books make it easier to see ver the steering wheel hahaha
Adjustable pedals! Replaced the phone books hahahaha!! :p

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back