Spark Plug Nightmare

NickGuyver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have managed to change out 7 of the 10 original (50k miles old) spark plugs. I have spent several hours trying everything I can to get them out but I cant even get the wire boots off.

The service center I prefer (Heritage) says it will take 1.5 hours and cost $150 and I already have the 3 plugs.

Does anyone in the MD/VA/DC (Fort Meade) area have the ability to help me get the last three on the drivers side out?

I have a case of your favorite beer waiting...

:cheers:

NickGuyver said:
So I have managed to change out 7 of the 10 original (50k miles old) spark plugs. I have spent several hours trying everything I can to get them out but I cant even get the wire boots off.

The service center I prefer (Heritage) says it will take 1.5 hours and cost $150 and I already have the 3 plugs.

Does anyone in the MD/VA/DC (Fort Meade) area have the ability to help me get the last three on the drivers side out?

put some di-electric grease on the boots when you put them back on.(i know..... this doesn't help now):D

NickGuyver said:

Twist the boots GENTLY back and forth using boot plyers to break them loose. If you yank on the wires you will break the internal carbon wire and will have to remove the intake manifold to replace the plug wires you damaged.
They are a Bitch to do and you may learn some NEW language.Dielectric grease on the inside of the boots will keep them from getting stuck the next time you do the plugs.
Pull the aluminum shields off with small vice grips first before removing boots(they press back on with a little tapping using a wooden hammer handle after new plus installed)
Hope this helps.
500H V-10

they are a bitch, I just did mine, but I installed the Screamin' Demon Coils, MSD wires at the same time, its still hard even with the intake off, you have to climb up on the engine.

Black1 said:
I've heard of someone taking the inner fenders out.... get to them from the side/bottom. ;)
I took my inner fenders out to do the plugs, leads and headers. It made life SOOOO much easier.
Taking the inner fender out takes 5-10 minutes each side including jacking the front up. Slam the truck on some jacks and get 'er done!

Carlwalski said:
I took my inner fenders out to do the plugs, leads and headers. It made life SOOOO much easier.
Taking the inner fender out takes 5-10 minutes each side including jacking the front up. Slam the truck on some jacks and get 'er done!

x3

All ten plugs out in about 5 minutes after removing the front wheels and fender liners. About 1 hour total, start to finish.;)

Ram From Hell said:
x3

All ten plugs out in about 5 minutes after removing the front wheels and fender liners. About 1 hour total, start to finish.;)

x4 espescially with allwhat i have in the way would never do it another way!!

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
THE ONLY TWO FOLKS YOU AND I THAT HAVE ACHEIVED THIS:D

Damn right...that's why I'm going to mention it every chance I get!

whats all the hype ---did mine just by putting a plug socket on and turning them.....took about half an hour:dontknow: :dontknow: . The hardest one was the last on the drivers side. use a short piece of fuel line after it was loose to remove and restart the new ones.....Piece of cake :marchmellow:
Don't forget to index the plugs ...

Last edited:
I really can't believe you guys could do it.... I just keep pulling and then my hand hits the drum, over and over and over and...

I don't understand how you are using the fuel line either, could you further explain that part?

NickGuyver said:
I really can't believe you guys could do it.... I just keep pulling and then my hand hits the drum, over and over and over and...

I don't understand how you are using the fuel line either, could you further explain that part?

You get about a 4" to 8" piece of fuel line and push it over the end of the plug and use the fuel line to turn the plug in and out. Makes it much easier to turn and start the plug. Always start the plug by hand and use antiseize on the threads but do not get it on the electrode or ground.

if your having a real bad time getting to drivers side ,,,remove tire and wheel well liner ,,,you can get at all of them real easy then;)but im a big boy and can do mine in 45 mins ,,you just have to get down in there

NickGuyver said:

I dont have pictures but I did this with the fender liners out and used a pair of channel locks and a spark plug boot removal tool. Or course socket wrench and spark plug socket. I would assume you have that already since you removed most of the plugs. The only real difference here is that I had the exhaust headers removed because they were getting recoated. See attached link for some explanation.

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35199

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back