Speed in Gears

Here you go. I will double check them this weekend, but I believe they are correct.

4.10 = 1810.0

4.56 = 2055.0

4.88 = 2181.6

5.13 = 2316.8

5.38 = 2471.4

I just got an '04 and it turns 2,000 rpm @ 80mph with stock size tires.

Does this mean a previous owner swapped to 4;56's?

How about the RPMs you would be turning at 80mph in 6th with the listed gear ratios?

Here you go. I will double check them this weekend, but I believe they are correct.

4.10 = 1810.0

4.56 = 2055.0

4.88 = 2181.6

5.13 = 2316.8

5.38 = 2471.4

4.10 gears @ 80mph = just over 1600rpm in 6th gear...seems you're a couple hundred rpm off bud

4.10 gears @ 75mph = 1500rpm in 6th gear...

My truck has stock size tires (305-40R22's)

2012-12-05_19-30-12_996.jpg

2012-12-05_19-31-05_645.jpg

Last edited:
I was out today and I got 1950 rpm @ 80 mph. I was going to post on your thread for yor info.

Make sure you take tire diameter into consideration!! 45 series will throw off calculations. Also someone with new tires versus old tires. Does make a slight difference. Ill see what mine says. I have 45s out back and 40s up front.

This would make John laugh

Make sure you take tire diameter into consideration!! 45 series will throw off calculations. Also someone with new tires versus old tires. Does make a slight difference. Ill see what mine says. I have 45s out back and 40s up front.

You're kinda right... If you are getting your mph reading off of a GPS, then yes it will throw it off. Although if you are running 45's, you will be going faster but your speedometer will not know the difference.

You're kinda right... If you are getting your mph reading off of a GPS, then yes it will throw it off. Although if you are running 45's, you will be going faster but your speedometer will not know the difference.

A GPS will show the correct MPH regardless of tire size. The speedometer will read differently with a change in tire size.

Ya'll do realize that calculating RPM, speed, gear ratio, flux capacitor readings, etc, is as simple as using a basic calculator (click here for an example), right?

Last edited:
everyway i do the math on your truck cody it says it has 3.73 for a rear end

Me too, Cody. Check your RPM in 4th gear for a couple different speeds and I bet the numbers work out for a 4.10 though.

Last edited:
A GPS will show the correct MPH regardless of tire size. The speedometer will read differently with a change in tire size.

Ya'll do realize that calculating RPM, speed, gear ratio, flux capacitor readings, etc, is as simple as using a basic calculator (click here for an example), right?

Lol. Sorry bud I knew what I meant just may not have sounded right. YES, your GPS will read true. But what I meant by your speedometer not knowing the difference is... if you have 40 or 45 series tires your speedometer "for say" will read 120 @ 6000rpm, yet with 45 series you will actually be traveling faster. I realize you know this, I just had to post this to reassure myself that I'm not quite as dumb as I made myself sound! MERRY CHRISTMAS GUYS!!! Thanks for all the helpful info and entertaining threads on my first year with the VTCOA!!!

First off: Merry Christmas, Everyone!

How many times have you told me that haha
I haven't told you that since yesterday, Lil Guy :D

Lol. Sorry bud I knew what I meant just may not have sounded right. --- MERRY CHRISTMAS GUYS!!! Thanks for all the helpful info and entertaining threads on my first year with the VTCOA!!!
Gotcha.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back