SRT 10 value drop

My quest for a truck with a big motor in a RC configuration started back in 1990 with that piss poor performance truck that in typical GM fashion, screwed up. I know you all know what I am referring to...the 454SS! Great freaking concept, but typical of GM, they took away all it's potential and dogged that motor with a lousy cam, poor compression ratio, and horrific flowing heads !!!! Not to mention, they backed it with a TH400 Auto Tranny! Yuck! Good tranny...but I want to row through some gears!!!

Ford has had the Lightning around for years, but in 2000 (I believe that was the first year) when they slapped a blower on top of the 5.4L , history was being made! I obssessed over these trucks for so long and was anxiously awaiting the 500HP model slated to be released in 2005. But of course, Ford let me down and they scrapped the project.

Enter 2004 and Dodge finally did something that I had always wanted to see!!! They took a big a$$, scary as hell motor....shoved it into an intimidating and beautiful RC truck and put a 6 speed behind it. I have never been a Dodge fan, but this was love at first sight! Or should I say, it was until I saw the price tag..... GAG!

So I waited and waited and waited. Three years after its introduction, I finally purchased one of these beautites! Sure it is a little on the fat side (5100 lbs...Yikes!)... I mean, who on this site wouldn't love to see 500 (+)lbs shaved off??? But the fact remains, this is a very unique monster. Sure there are ignorant people out there who think there is a Hemi under the hood...but that is due in part to marketing. Dodge has been driving the "That Thing Gotta Hemi?" campaign for so long now, that even 5 year olds think everything Dodge makes has a HEMI. But I look at this as an opportunity to educate the mis-guided. This is my opportunity to talk to people about the history of bad ass trucks from GM / Ford / and our beloved Dodge. How one lead to another, to another and finally, to our truck. I love explaining to people how a 5100 lb truck can run 13's in the quarter mile (stock) and do 0-60mph in about 5.6 seconds. I even reference various well known cars as a comparisson to the awesomeness of our trucks. I love seeing the "I am freaking impressed with your truck" look on their face when they hear all about what it is capable of.

Folks, no two ways about it. We own a piece of history with these trucks. We are sitting on something great here. Sure, the value of these trucks have dropped faster then Paris Hiltons panties (The MSRP on my truck was $50,980...when I bought it one year later, I paid $31k). But a lot of that has to do with what I feel was an already artificially inflated price on these trucks to begin with. What we are seeing now is just pricing coming back into line for what these trucks probably should have sold for to begin with (I believe in the $30k's would have been more appropriate). I mean for the love of god, D/C is charging $17k just for the motor alone!!! Holy smokes!!!

For me, when I bought this truck in August, I had test driven I don't know how many Lightnings, and as impressive as the Lightning is, I never got the same feeling as my very first test drive in the SRT10...mashing down on that loud pedal, feeling that V10 and rowing through the gears...it was like some sort of a unique bond with the Viper family. Please, you have to admit...these trucks are so much more handsome then the Lightnings!

For me, I believe that in a decade or two, we will see the rise in price on these trucks. The numbers (or should I say, the lack of high production units) are in our favor. And as it was pointed out already, every time someone wrecks their truck, I can feel the value of my truck appreciating.

Only time will tell folks...only time will tell. For now, I am going to enjoy this menancing piece of history!

-Joe

Skyydiver said:
Folks, no two ways about it. We own a piece of history with these trucks. We are sitting on something great here. Sure, the value of these trucks have dropped faster then Paris Hiltons panties (The MSRP on my truck was $50,980...when I bought it one year later, I paid $31k). But a lot of that has to do with what I feel was an already artificially inflated price on these trucks to begin with. What we are seeing now is just pricing coming back into line for what these trucks probably should have sold for to begin with (I believe in the $30k's would have been more appropriate). I mean for the love of god, D/C is charging $17k just for the motor alone!!! Holy smokes!!!

-Joe

beautiful, just beautiful:rock:

The way i take it is...I bought the truck because i wanted it...Investement
or not i'm gonna drive it...The SRT is definetly a unique truck...There are
not many around...The time i finish work on the queensway with thousands
of vehicules around and not one other SRT...I get tons of looks from people
and most lean out there cars to say nice truck or trucks looks good...
Whatever it's worth or gonna be worth take it in right now...I probably paid
to much but what the hell...I love it...Evertime i get to drive the truck it
amazes me...This truck is a BAD HOMBRE...I'm gonna customize mine to what
i like...I've been customizing a lot a vehicules,this is my second truck.I had
a 2002 Dodge Dakota RT put gobs of money in it,then i seen this SRT at the
dealership 10 months ago and had to have it...I'm not sorry i did it.i think
i will have this truck for a while...Maybe it's me but when i drive the attention
you get when you drive a SRT is definetly there...I love it...SRT 10 RULES...
I feel better now...See you guys...:)

04 SRT 10 said:
The way i take it is...I bought the truck because i wanted it...Investement
or not i'm gonna drive it...The SRT is definetly a unique truck...There are
not many around...The time i finish work on the queensway with thousands
of vehicules around and not one other SRT...I get tons of looks from people
and most lean out there cars to say nice truck or trucks looks good...
Whatever it's worth or gonna be worth take it in right now...I probably paid
to much but what the hell...I love it...Evertime i get to drive the truck it
amazes me...This truck is a BAD HOMBRE...I'm gonna customize mine to what
i like...I've been customizing a lot a vehicules,this is my second truck.I had
a 2002 Dodge Dakota RT put gobs of money in it,then i seen this SRT at the
dealership 10 months ago and had to have it...I'm not sorry i did it.i think
i will have this truck for a while...Maybe it's me but when i drive the attention
you get when you drive a SRT is definetly there...I love it...SRT 10 RULES...
I feel better now...See you guys...:)

aren't we all ? :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

The appeal of this truck as stated before is the lack of seeing them everywhere.Sure it is an ego trip when your in the fast lane on the highway and people look in their rear view mirror and pull over out of the way, or the knowledge that you don't need to prove how fast your truck is, when sitting at the lights with the boy racers.
In reality we will never see a return on the money we paid for these trucks. I don't care, to me the enjoyment of driving this truck is worth it!!

Also in 30 years the Lightning will represent the Hemi Cuda and the Srt10 RC will be the Boss 429 as far as popularity!

Django said:
ROF.............................:rock:

The actual value of your truck is NOT based on a number in a book, but by the smile on your face.

D
Very true, And i smile every day behind the wheel.

Django said:
ROF.............................:rock:

The actual value of your truck is NOT based on a number in a book, but by the smile on your face.

D
I love looking at my truck when I am walking up to it. I am jittery when I push the button. I thoroughly enjoy smashing the pedal down to the floor. I know I am NOT driving the truck properly if I am getting more than 11 mpg.

Paul

D/C has allways been known for doing things "outside the box"...

GM has tried as mentioned.. but foobared it big time with the 454SS as mentioned.. the only decent truck they built was the Sylcone and Typhoon, and just like our trucks... not a million gazillion of them around, and they tailor to performance whack jobs like ourselves.

Yeah, sure they got the Vette, the Camaros, and Firebirds... but you see those everyday in and out.

Then you got the Ferds, sure you can get a lightning, or a harley davidson F150.. but they are still 5.4s with just a supercharger... then you got the mustangs... over a million of them sold in the first 2 years in 65-66.

Now back to D/C... now these whack jobs know how to take things to the edge, and push it over the cliff... who else would have stuffed a Viper engine on the motorcycle.... or in a truck... only dodge.

I would say our trucks should have been priced closer to the 45-50k range, the 30k range is just an insult.... hell a loaded 1500 will cost you around 30-35k, but it wont have a viper engine in it!!!

Next thing is how many of our trucks do you actually see.... I see very few of them.. I think there are maybe less than 20 in Arizona... how many mustangs, vettes, lightnings, and 454SS are there in AZ... too many to count them...

I love the looks my truck gets when I pull through a parking lot, I watch when a vette, or lighting does the same thing.. and NO ONE bats an eye.

As when ANY PERFORMANCE RELATED, LIMITED PRODUCTION vehicle the market will ALLWAYS BE SMALL, values will appear to drop, but you can not look to a dealer, website, or book to get your true value.

If you own a truck with a viper engine it, you need to be prepared to pay the price to own it... alot of people bought them, then when gas prices went skyrocketing they could no longer afford them...

I know my limits.... you dont see me driving around in a $200k+ twin turbo lamborghini gallardo (as much as I want to own one...) I know that I can not afford it, so I dont even try.

The value on our trucks have dropped because those that bought them who could not afford them had to dump them when it became too costly to drive, so the dealers "stuck" it to them as allways, and sold them on the used auction block where the valuation continued to sink...

But if we all just band together, and NOT sell off our trucks at the first sign of trouble, remove them from the market, make the dealers and buyers WANT THEM, the value will go back up...

I for one.. will never give the keys up to my SRT-10! I knew what I was getting into when I bought it..... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I for one.. will never give the keys up to my SRT-10! I knew what I was getting into when I bought it..... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.[/QUOTE]
I couldn't agree more. I'm in for the long haul.

two factors: 1) rising cost of gas, and 2) it isn't worth a shit for hauling or towing.

fortunately, i don't give a shit about the cost of gas, and the only reason i bought it is so i can have a rowdy vehicle to drive to the post office once per day. :)

I bought mine in june [used] after looking a long time drive it daily was
9000 miles now 13500 damn! I plan on a shifter caltracs and clutch/slave then drive drive drive:burnout:

i

Hey where did my overly long first post go that set up my Hemi vs Boss coment?

Hmmmm... BOTTOM LINE IS.... WE ALL WANT MORE POWER!!!!!!!!!!! We are just power addicted sluts....LOL!!!! LIFE IS GOOD!!!!! I like the it's all good wife thing though....LMAO!!! Hey , whatever it takes to make things shake!!! LATES ALL... POWER ROCKS!!!!

Stinker said:
LOLOL me grumpy? no way bro! livin and lovin life:D

Its just the way I see these trucks, the RC is a ball of fun, and yeah we have our own sorta spot inthe sport world:rock:

And jsut to be known, I wouldnt give mine up for a long long time:D

but honestly when we bought the QC, man it was a BIG DISSAPOINTMENT!

It took a few mods before it ran like I feel it should run;)

To me.... these trucks are one in a million, but the original question was "why the value has dropped"

and to me, that is some of the reasons, yeah we hold the worlds fastest truck, and so on.
but you got to admit, if ya want a fast truck and do it at a reasonable cost, then a lightning is the way to go, you can buy them on a McDonalds wage, mod it and have an easy ten second truck.

While ours takes a ton of work.

But I love our trucks dont get me wrong, I wouldnt trade it for nuttin right now, it takes a special person that loves the power, the size of the truck, and jsut knowing you got a 'VIPER POWERED RIDE!!"

There is nothing likem, and most likely not to be challenged at all in the next few years:rock:

LONG LIVE THE SRT-10 RAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rock: :rock: :rock:

So what are the "must do" mods for a QC ? I'm coming from the Lightning (that runs 10's BTW) world and want it to at least feel like it has some ummph in it.

I also have a Gen II Viper which I love.

I just don't wanna hate the truck after a while because it doesn't have the power I think it should. I got the QC because the other two "cars" I have are 2 seaters and I had to have a family mobile as well.

--wes

Coming from a modded 10 second L I would say you need a Blower ASAP or you will get very bored with the QC cause you just gained 1000lbs of weight ......and lost power from what your other truck had.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back