srt break in period

john b

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dealer told me my wifes new Jeep srt had a reduced power mode in the computer that will last for 500 miles. Then i should notice a sustantial increase. Does anyone know if this is true?

That could be. Ford does it with the new Shelby's.

I heard it was 1000 miles but either way you dont want to just beat on shit right out he box. Never a good thing.

I could see that as being true, I could also see that as a scare tactic for idiots that dont know how to properly break in a high performance engine. Either way, take it easy for a while, and vary your RPM range. I wouldnt push it till it has a few thousand miles on it. A little bit of self control will go a looooong way. Nice ride btw, Jeep SRT8 is the only thing I would give up my 10 for.

Yea if I remember correctly it was 5,000 or so for the SRT-10 and SRT-8's when they first came out. At least I remember the dealer telling me that when I looked at a Charger SRT-8 last year before I got my truck.

All cars will have an initial break in period. At least that's been my experiences.

I noticed reduced power with our Durango R/T. Seemed like right about 5k mark it felt peppier...for a heavy pig. Congrats on the Jeep. The top of the grocery getter tower for sure!

I had to look at my book, I never really believed in a break-in. I think the rings seal better when its ran wot from day 1.

The last time I had my rear end rebuilt I asked the guy about the 500 mile break-in on the gears. He laughed his ass off and asked me how much break-in can track only car do? He said drive it through the parking lot and go make a pass, if its going to break find out immediately

Attachments

• IMG_20130913_213139_998.jpg
    IMG_20130913_213139_998.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 62
Congrats on the Jeep!

At the SRT Experience I went to this year, it was my favorite. To take something that big, and just throw it at turn one off the straightaway at Avondalle Raceway and it swing around with no problems, that is some amazing engineering in there.

When I whipped the wheel to the right and hit the gas, I really thought it was just going to roll over and over and over and over haha.

I agree with you Venom, I would trade my 10 for a Jeep, but at the same time, I could pick up a nice used 05-06 viper for less money. Now that would be a weekend toy :rock:

yeah also think about the fact most track vehicles are rebuilt very often some before every event.

thanks Guys I dont plan on beating it too hard for a bit. I have give it a few 1/8 mile launches and I was impressed! Its only got 150 miles on it and I dont have a lot of time to drive it.If it gets more power at 500 mi. It will be awsome. I know what you mean about race/street moters I have had lots of them they ussually end up using oil at about 5000 miles of abuse. There are armdrop drags in Picton Ont. Sept. 28 I will likley take a different vehicle, I wouldnt want to show up without full power first impressions are lasting.

i got my wife the new 14 srt jeep , it had 9 miles on the odometer, and had full power, no need to break in, driving it hard is what it likes, just like the viper, just floor it !!!!

i got my wife the new 14 srt jeep , it had 9 miles on the odometer, and had full power, no need to break in, driving it hard is what it likes, just like the viper, just floor it !!!!

And you know it had full power how??? Did you dyno it right off the show room floor?

no dyno , just drove it, have 2600 miles and the power is still the same ,no diff, runs strong, traded a 2010 srt8 jeep, headers ,all the bolt on stuff , drove it the same way, 28 thousand on the clock ,ran like a bear,headers were huge, with a dyno tune ,and it was killer!!!! could not resist the 14,awesome tranny in that jeep.can't forget those wheels, black chrome spider monkey, love them !!!!

Last edited:
Yea if I remember correctly it was 5,000 or so for the SRT-10 and SRT-8's when they first came out. At least I remember the dealer telling me that when I looked at a Charger SRT-8 last year before I got my truck.

All cars will have an initial break in period. At least that's been my experiences.

That is not true. When I worked at the dealership we had this discussion many times. Cars from the factory come broke in already. The only time a vehicle needs a break in period is when it specifically says it and alot of new high performance cars need a break in. But its not a very long break in period. The new gt500s only need 15 miles.

I had to look at my book, I never really believed in a break-in. I think the rings seal better when its ran wot from day 1.

The last time I had my rear end rebuilt I asked the guy about the 500 mile break-in on the gears. He laughed his ass off and asked me how much break-in can track only car do? He said drive it through the parking lot and go make a pass, if its going to break find out immediately

Quoted for truth, seat the rings with a heat cycle or 2 and go beat the living hell out of it

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back