SRT4 Engine & SRT10 engine

s8taxatty

Reaction score
Novice question time. I found a really cheap SRT4 engine to play with. Does the SRT 4 engine use OHV like the SRT 10 engine?:dontknow:

I hope I'm not embarrassing myself but I'm still learning and this is the best site by far!

So if the 10 is not an Over Head Valve engine, is it an Over Head Cam engine? or is there an other type? I am confused?

I have never seen an engine that isn't Over Head Valve.

What you are wanting to know (most likely) is where the camshaft is. On the viper engine there is a single camshaft that is in the middle of the block and pushrods that actuate rockers that move the valves. The camshaft is driven by a timing-chain.

On the SRT-4 engine it is a Double Over Head Cam engine (DOHC). What that means is that the head contains two camshafts. One for intake valves and one for exhaust valves. The cams are driven by the crankshaft via a timing belt. And on some cars a timing chain. This allows the engineers to have more precise control of the valve duration and a reduction of weight.

Some engines have what is called a Single Over Head Cam engine (SOHC). That just means that there is a single camshaft in the head or head's and it controls the valves.

I would love to see a Viper engine with DOHC heads one day. That engine would LOOK SO UNBELIVABLY SICK!!!!

any "flat head" engine is VIB.

Briggs & Straton & Ford come to mind real quick:rock::rock:

8V-71 Detroit= 568 c.i.d.

6V-92 Detroit= 552 c.i.d.

I have never seen an engine that isn't Over Head Valve.

A "flat head" or also known as "nail head" motor setup has intake and exhaust valves located within the block, not the head.

Check out your weed eater if you have one. 2 strokes and nail heads have no OHV or OHC...

A "flat head" or also known as "nail head" motor setup has intake and exhaust valves located within the block, not the head.

Check out your weed eater if you have one. 2 strokes and nail heads have no OHV or OHC...

this ought to be good

the Buick "nail head" engine is an OHV 4-stroke engine:rock::rock::rock:

Attachments

• buick-nailhead-cutaway.jpg
    buick-nailhead-cutaway.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Any good pix/diagrams of our 10s? Got pix from BadSnake's rebuild now that is good stuff!!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back