Stomped Gas and QC fell on its face! Help Please!!!

Mnnthbx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased my 2005 QC w/ only 60k miles a month ago. It's been running great and then all the sudden I go to pass someone on the highway at 50mph pushing the petal to the floor and the POWER WAS GONE! Made it back home(barely) sputtering and wouldn't hardly go over 50mph shifting at a higher RPM than usual. Drove it to the shop barely starting and then dying.. But got it there. He said it was throwing strange codes and has a lot of blowbye!. And the big words NEEDS A ENGINE!!!!!! It's hard for me to believe.. Just trying to find out if anyone has encountered this before? Please help!.

Welcome to the forum. Where are you located? (Also, please add your location to your profile). Is the shop you took your truck to reputable? Throwing a bunch of codes and barely running sounds like a fuel/ignition problem, not a "needs an engine" problem.

I'll add some more info, just joined today!. Located in Nc.. I've owned a lot of Foriegn cars (BMW,Volvo) and if I don't have time to deal with issues than I take it to the same shop. The codes it was throwing were O2 sensor codes, said he unhooked the O2 sensor got it to stay running but still had a crazy amount of blowbye through the intake to the filter housing w/ oil covering the inside.

Well I told him just to button it up and I'm loading on the trailer tomorrow to get it back to the house. I'll start with compression test, hopefully that should tell me if any cylinders have dropped, but also just ordered a Camshaft position sensor as well as a crankshaft position sensor for these are the only things that I can find on these forums that sound anything like what it was doing!! Just hoping for any help before I get it home.

Welcome to the forum

A short video of the engine while its running ( and revving ) may help narrow down what the issue could be, hopefully the garage exaggerated what's going on and its a simple fix.

Number 1 , please don't run it any more, if its a dropped valve you can do more damage than already may be done.
pull the valve covers, check for a broken valve spring, if not there, then you will need to do a compression test, could be the sensors, but while waiting those are the major things to check

WOW.....

Can't believe people have you tearing the engine apart before ever checking the codes and seeing what codes have been thrown, and no, I wouldn't run the motor either til I know that answer. As far as you know, someone put low octane gas through it and you have clogged CATS. There is also the possibility it was in limp mode along with what ever problem it was having. Slow down your thoughts, and take it a step at a time

Limp mode was the very 1st thing that came to mind. I unhooked the battery overnight, hooked it back up and still the same results before I took it to the shop.. There wasn't much to research on the "limp home mode" so was guessing reset the computer?.

Also been only running 93 octane for the last month, and the guy I purchased it from "says" he's never ran anything but 93.. We I was driving to the shop it didn't want to start, then it fired up.. Idling real choppy, had no power when I hit the gas, almost had to wait for the engine to catch up with the gas pedal but only could hit it 1/4-1/2 way any more than that the truck would die.. If that helps any

Also been only running 93 octane for the last month, and the guy I purchased it from "says" he's never ran anything but 93.. We I was driving to the shop it didn't want to start, then it fired up.. Idling real choppy, had no power when I hit the gas, almost had to wait for the engine to catch up with the gas pedal but only could hit it 1/4-1/2 way any more than that the truck would die.. If that helps any

So you didn't say you were hearing knocking or clattering or abnormal sounds. I'll bet you're on track with cam/crank sensors. Don't let them touch engine! Relay all codes to us and we'll guide you young grasshopper. :)

I appreciate the help!. Like I said I'm getting ready to go load it on the trailer and get her home.. From there I'll get all the codes or see what he has wrote down already!. Thanks for all the input so far. But no engine noise

Ok just picked the truck up. The mechanic had unhooked the passenger side front o2 sensor and is now running. Done a passenger bank compression test read anywhere from 75-98.. Got the truck loaded on the trailer (drove it on the trailer) running at least of course w/ the CEL on cause the o2 sensor. unloaded at home still running better than before with the o2 hooked up but not good by no means.. The ticker here the hole time is what I said before.. the crankcase breather hose running into the air box had to be taken off and is blow air out of it with smoke/oil coming out too.??? Crazy to me here... When I got home went ahead and hooked up the scanner just to put the codes up, they are the following:
P0051
P0052
P0158
P0206 (x2)
Any help would be much appreciated!

So what codes did it toss

Ok, so I waited to long to hit enter..... Sorry

Last edited:

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back