STS Turbo Systems SCT Tuner

msdnga

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, for anyone interested in this turbo or how I tune it, this is your thread to ask away.
STS had a bad name in the past because every person running, did not have the proper tools to tune it. Being a T 76, it simply makes boost, big boost. Couple that with an improper tune and you are in the machine shop starting over.
I have 3 SRT 10 Turbos here, one is a twin, the others are single T -76 kits from STS. I worked directly with SCT and Rick Squires from STS to nail this tuning for the truck. Now there are limitations to what your stock block should be doing on 93 octane and factory parts. I have seen some of you boosted Nox guys pushing well above that, it's still gambling to me. So I am setting the STS kit for 650 rear wheel on a stock block, and depending upon your location 630 rear wheel.
Stock cams and heads work great, headers help alot. But if it is a stock truck at least invest in some better valve springs and lighten up all 20 by using the Ti retainer.
Turbo not for you? Already have a Paxton or Roe? No more piggyback controller limited by the factory PCM mapping.
At the Viper SRT Dyno day I went up against 3 custom Flashes and beat everyone of them. In WOT and part throttle.
Mark's Paxton truck was at 529 and 512 tq PEAK. His TQ never went over 500 in the curve except for the 12 ft spike. Horribly lean to 3500 rpm
Mark's SCT tune on the dyno ended up 11.5AFR across the board and 531hp with 591tq. Safe as can be, with part throttle way above where it was.

The hardest tune to beat was the Stage 2 which went up to 36 degrees total timing. But the AFR curve was horrible lean to 3500 and dead rich to 6500. All I did was tilt it back, re write part throttle and got her safe across the board. It was 419 before and a very safe 422 after.

Rice eater had 460 and 480tq lean, and Chad and I got the truck up to 476 on a safe AFR.

I could go on and on, but I think you guys get the point. The SCT tuner is the only way to go. Especially forced induction.

The STS turbo inlet runs a safe K&N Assy or you can duct it to the bed assy. I don't run the Silver truck in the mud pits, so I run the K&N with a pre filter wrap. Second, no intercooler needed. I ran high boost on the turbo truck and my max temp was 163 Inlet Air Temp. That is on high boost. Blowers are always over 225-250 and then a Air to Air intercooler gets you 80 degrees off that. You can still intercool it with a PWR water to air for 40 degree temps. Back to the SCT:
You run a 2 bar Map on the manifold in place of the old 1 bar, use larger 60lb injectors and the SCT programs it through the factory PCM. I can send you a milder octane program too on the tuner. So here you go, ask away....
:rock:

ya all i have ever heard about that system was that it kept blowing motors and to stay away from it. maybe you can be the one who brings it back with safe operating levels. I know that on some of the videos that turbo sounds like a fighter plane :) pretty cool

Right, that simply means it was making boost, just not tuned right!
It is like throttling up a T-38 though.....

msdnga said:
Rice eater had 460 and 480tq lean, and Chad and I got the truck up to 476 on a safe AFR.

Marty just to add to that you took my tq up to 517 at the wheel which equates to :burnout: street fun! truck never used to break them loose like that on the motor before. Part throttle response is simply amazing....never would have thought a street tune would make that much of a difference!:rock: Thanks again!

Definately looking forward to hearing more about the turbo kits and tuning with the SCT. This will be a very fun thread to watch indeed! :elefant:

have any pics of the single STS install for me to drule over till I can afford an upgrade!?

The twin Turbo is set up for 1200 rear wheel. The single turbos are too small for anything over 1000.

Attachments

• PICT0034.JPG
    PICT0034.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 1,709
  • PICT0029.JPG
    PICT0029.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 927
Last edited:
Marty,

I think you pretty much sumed it up. In my opinion the split second controller is a stone age controller. In addition you are required to cut into the factory wire harness which I'm not a big fan of. I'm so glad someone in FL finally purchased and is tuning with the SCT software. I wish it was around when I did the install of the Paxton.

Last edited:
Mickey's truck is next. Nice back to back 610hp runs on the flash he has. We'll show you what the SCT can do!
Let me restate, piggybacks only make use of modifying the factory PCMs tables. I have used them for years.
The SCT is a direct Flash to your ECU remapped to your combo, no more sending PCM's back and forth for flashes.
It is not a canned flash either, every SCT Tune I have written, I started from scratch with the customer specs and my dyno logs in front of me. If for some reason, I am slightly rich, I can e-mail you an update and you load it into the truck pick up your 15 rear wheel and run.

Last edited:
Super to see good tuning with the STS!

The hardest tune to beat was the Stage 2 which went up to 36 degrees total timing. But the AFR curve was horrible lean to 3500 and dead rich to 6500. All I did was tilt it back, re write part throttle and got her safe across the board. It was 419 before and a very safe 422 after.

FYI, I saw a max of 33 degrees on the (Boomer's/B&G) Stage 2 when I dyno'd it alone. Didn't see 36. Has the flash changed in a year or two?

Yes, it was lean until 3300 RPMs, not "horribly" until below 2700.
Rich after 3800 RPM until 4600, "dead" rich from 4600 - 4900. Then slightly rich from 5000 - 5600.

Headers, exhaust and weather all moves that curve around, but yes, it hit 36. Your Knock may have pulled timing even though the STge 2 desensitizes it.
But to answer your question if the flash has changed over a period of a year, you bet.....

Last edited:
So when are they changing their package to take care of the tuning issue?
Just received my SCT from DC Performance today with 170 thermostat.
Can you send (use my SCT) tunes to it?

Sounds to me like this is going to sqweeze most of or all your HP out based off each individuals mods, 2 thumbs up! You got my attention!

Not sure? But yes I can send you tunes via e-mail easily. You have to ask Rick at STS that one. Killer kit though, turbo spools instantly and full boost from 2800 on with zero lost from driving it like my lil' Procharger Ram.

so with the sct i could have my truck tuned the way it is and then with just a e-mail i could have it updated for turbo or whatever?? what is the cost of sct, and additional tunes?

So if I have an sts kit all ready... I can throw out the old tuning stuff and get a sct from you that will keep a SAFE tune? how much?

msdnga said:
Mickey's truck is next. Nice back to back 610hp runs on the flash he has. We'll show you what the SCT can do!
Let me restate, piggybacks only make use of modifying the factory PCMs tables. I have used them for years.
The SCT is a direct Flash to your ECU remapped to your combo, no more sending PCM's back and forth for flashes.
It is not a canned flash either, every SCT Tune I have written, I started from scratch with the customer specs and my dyno logs in front of me. If for some reason, I am slightly rich, I can e-mail you an update and you load it into the truck pick up your 15 rear wheel and run.

I can't wait
Ripping out the jumper pumps(no more 100 psi worries),the F.M.U. and
Taking out the split second timer.Going with long tubes also.
Mid 11,s here I come(I have to try and keep up with Chad somehow):dontknow:
Like I said before,This Dyno day really answered alot of questions and will continue at the next one(hint hint):D
Now accepting offers on removed items:) See ya soon Marty!!!!:rock:

I'm curious. Recently someone posted a super charged Ford GT with a piggy back turbocharger. Is this something we could consider with a Roe setup, forged internals and possibly add an intercooler?

Last edited:
Sorry on pricing, PM me till a Moderator gets back with me.

Yes, current STS user? Toss the tuning bandaids in the can. Same goes for you George with the Roe. You need a intercooler under the Roe Manifold, but how much more hood room are you willing to give up to have Mickey and myself make you a intercooler under it?

Current tunes are included in the tuner price. If you change the combo, run twins with big cam, huge injectors, that would cost you an hours labor to re-write. But the correct answer is if you make that drastic of a change, you need me on the dyno with it. But updates and changes to the current program cost you nothing. Free full tech support. I love e-mailing the dyno operators, after a tune is loaded. Then I can nail it with his info. My favorite part....

Marty, we'll have to talk once my motor starts coming out. What about adding a small turbo with an intercooler and then plumb it into the Roe?

Man... a couple of months ago some of you guys rode my ass because I suggested to an STS buyer that there had to be a way to make the system work and encouraged him to keep searching.

I knew someone with brains would come up with a solution, way to go msdnga!!!

I love it when naysayers have to EAT CROW!!!! Down with the Taliban mentality, hurray for good ol' U.S. of A. ingenuity and boldness!!!!

:rock:

:D:D :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back