Tall highway gears?

I do drive my truck. haha why do think i was asking what it'd do for my top speed? But, Ive had the RC 6speed...a 2004 with 4:10s....And 2QCs with 4:56s. These autos need a taller OD or another gear! And ya i want better fuel economy for when im not running her hard! But,untill I get this paid for,AND get another DD....I'm not running her at the track. Been there done that,In both of the other trucks. Hell,even blew one of them up on NOS! I will do some good mods later down the road and hope to even go STROKER and a set of TWINS....But till then....I wanna get better mileage. Right now Im completely content just driving her like a cruiser! Its funny all the people that try to get me to race and i just punch it long enough for them to punch it then let off of it and watch'em go! or just ignore them completely. Im happy just hearing those flowmasters sing to me!

flchub said:
you're right about that 1.90 60' on street tires .............:deadhorse:
We need to start our own thread where I can talk nasty to your goofy ass!!!!

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
I have offered my 4.10s for free with exchange for your 4,56 gears and the person pay for shipping only jsut to find out if the 4.10 would actually help out with mileage and how it would affect the overall performance factor of the auto.

WERD! I have a set of 4.56's and have been debating on slapping them in. But since I don't track her, the 4.10's do me just fine for highway driving.

I put 3.73 gears in my 2005 QC almost 3 years ago. I dropped the rpms around 500 at 75 mph. On several long trips I have averaged about a 2.5 mpg increase when crusing at 80. You notice very little drop in performance IMO. I have pulled trailers with the 3.73 and never had any problem. Only other Mods are a reflash of the ECU and magnaflow catbacks. The gears have paid for themselves several times in the gas savings. I now get between 16.5 to 17mpg hiway, before the swap the best was 14 hiway.

Soapy said:
I put 3.73 gears in my 2005 QC almost 3 years ago. I dropped the rpms around 500 at 75 mph. On several long trips I have averaged about a 2.5 mpg increase when crusing at 80. You notice very little drop in performance IMO. I have pulled trailers with the 3.73 and never had any problem. Only other Mods are a reflash of the ECU and magnaflow catbacks. The gears have paid for themselves several times in the gas savings. I now get between 16.5 to 17mpg hiway, before the swap the best was 14 hiway.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

thanks for the info Soapy:itsme:

now thats more like what i was thinking....This V10 has as much torque as that old 454 had and it pulled like a SOB! and had a better top speed to boot!But,was'nt as strong in the take off. Kinda a trade off. But as long as I'm not worried about 1/4 mile times....the rest should be ok,or at least a little better in the gas department! How much did it cost to get the new gears and with install?

As I recall the gear set with a new carrier bearing from Unitrax was a little over $400. I had a local friend who is a viper mechanic install the gears with new sythetic lube and that ran about $600. It is recomended that after 2500 miles you change the differential fluid with new synthetic.

Soapy said:
As I recall the gear set with a new carrier bearing from Unitrax was a little over $400. I had a local friend who is a viper mechanic install the gears with new sythetic lube and that ran about $600. It is recomended that after 2500 miles you change the differential fluid with new synthetic.

Would that be every 2,500 miles? Please say it isn't so. I changed mine about a year ago to Royal Purple 90 weight. I'm hoping I don't have to go back and change it again..

Venom Power said:
Would that be every 2,500 miles? Please say it isn't so. I changed mine about a year ago to Royal Purple 90 weight. I'm hoping I don't have to go back and change it again..

I am sure he meant just to change the fluid at 2500 the first time. This would remove metal shavings from gear breakin....

With these engines how would the auto trans handle all that torque at such a low RPM? Would there be any pressure problems ?

actually the truck tranny internals are beefier than the car tranny internals, , depends on what you would do with the truck, race or occasional rubber test or cruising.

the clutch is your basic weak link;)

I meant to just change the gear oil once after the 2500 mile break in period.

SANTEEN said:
Tony. I'll do the swap, but I don't want to give up my 4:56 gears. My girlfriend Chubby, said he'll give you his 4:56's.:) I guess I'll also need a set of carrier bearings. What else?
If you are installing stock MOPAR gears
You wont need carrier bearings, you will need pinion bearings specifically the rear one.
4.10's use a different(smaller) rear bearing than the 4.56's
I'm installing my 4.56's this week

Azmotorhead said:
If you are installing stock MOPAR gears
You wont need carrier bearings, you will need pinion bearings specifically the rear one.
4.10's use a different(smaller) rear bearing than the 4.56's
I'm installing my 4.56's this week
It's about time slacker...:D :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back