The Batram's New Engine Bay

Carlwalski

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Around 6 weeks ago, I tackled the last job on the Batram - customising the engine bay. More large scale detailing than anything else, re-routing wires, relocating items like the Emission and Cruise control units, etc. Turning the factory mess into a clean, subtle and Batram themed engine bay. Goals are simple; blacked out, subtle and clean. The engine block was painted satin black. I have never been a fan of the silver block showing through, especially when someone has nice new powder coated valve covers. Although only a portion of the block is seen, it's still a worth while mod IMO as it ties it all together, especially when it's black. :D The intake, valve covers, alternator, water bottles and TB are gloss black. All the screws/bolts/red electric clip locks, EVERYTHING, were painted black in high temp paint too, not for "wow, he even painted the screws" factor, so that they'd be simply overlooked and become invisible to the viewer.

Painting the block and covering the back wall with BLACK Hushmat were some of the best mods I did. I knew going into this job that there was no way I was leaving that garlic bread silver foil back there, not a chance in hell. It HAD TO GO. ;) I searched for a while and finally found black foil, I was happy as a pig in shit, didn't think anyone made it. It's good stuff too, more heat resistant than Dynamat. It just makes the back of the bay disappear. Look at any stock bay and it's there, in your face. To me, this was the same improvement as doing the interiors' silver pillar posts, same kind of annoying contrast. Remember, this is my opinion and it is probably made a lot worse when everything else is black hahahaha. A lot of the mods and work I did are too finicky to post, just a lot detailing and attention really, I see something and address it. Another simple mod is removing all the decals, from the front rad pipes to the hood hinge struts, there's around 20 of the bastards lol. They all detract from a clean image. Keep them in a log book or like I did, on a garage cabinet door.

If you are interested in what I did or parts used, please view my website (below) if you can be arsed or are interested in all the details and 70+ images of the work carried out. I am very happy. The Batram is getting close to finally being complete. A few small touches are needed in the bay (power steering cap with engraved Batlogo) etc. Prior to starting the engine bay work, I was going to get "Batram" on the valve covers BUT, then the soul of this truck would be gone. I wanted everyone who saw the engine bay to know, 100%, that this truck was no ordinary Ram, but the famous SRT10 Viper powered vehicle. It was an easy decision in the end, just had to get rid of the red lol. Once the remaining small appearance jobs are done, it's on to the "defensive weapons". I already have the smoke screen in place. Next is the caltrops (ninja stars) and oil dispensers (automated from in car). The only thing the Batram won't have is guns lolol. Anyhow, I'm not arrogant enough to think everyone likes my tastes or cars, all that matters is - I love it. :)

Cheers,
Carlwalski
The Batram

http://www.carlwalski.com/Batram3.html

85% stock and prior to customising.
EnginePrior1.JPG

Another stock image. Tired and dirty after a road trip, ready to begin.......
EnginePrior3.JPG

Headers, intake, battery tray removed and wiring labelled......
EngineWork4.JPG

Fuel rails and coil packs removed, wiring shifted for paint.......
EngineWork7.JPG

EngineWork8.JPG

More items removed and being masked......
LHBlockMasking.JPG

Empty bay, just about ready for a paint.
MaskingContinued.JPG

Masking underneath......
Trans_BellhousingMasking1.JPG

More masking below........
Trans_BellhousingMasking2.JPG

Some of the paint products I used (Not the Etch Primer for the engine block).
EnginePaint_Prep.JPG

EngineMasking1.JPG

The new satin black block.........
BlackPaintedEngine1.JPG

New gloss black powdercoated goodies: Valve covers, intake, catchcan, alternator, t-clips.
Powdercoated_Gloss_Black_Engine_Parts.JPG

Powder coated T-clamps.
Powdercoated_Gloss_Black_T-Clamps.JPG

Alternator ready to be put together professionally by an Auto sparky.
AlternatorOpen.JPG

Back together front.....
Powdercoated_Gloss_Black_Alternator1.JPG

Back together rear.....
Powdercoated_Gloss_Black_Alternator2.JPG

The stock alternator and the reason I did it lol, looks like arse........
Stockalternator.JPG

HPC Coated Headers, in semi-gloss black. Not cheap but good for 2,370F (1,300c) +
HPCHeaders1.JPG

Another of the HPC Coated headers........
HPCHeaders2.JPG

HPC closer up......
HPCHeaders3.JPG

HPC coated OEM manifold Gaskets, couldn't have them silver now could I. :p
HPCGaskets1.jpg

HPC gaskets, closer up.....
HPCGaskets2.JPG

Under the master cylinder cover, the painted bottle with level check Batlogo.
To check the fluid, I use the Batlogo which remains in the bottles original white. The top of the bat is "full". ;)

BatBottle.JPG

I left the fuel rails to break it up and tie in with the Viper font on the valve covers.
I wanted to have them float, so painted the mounts gloss black, works well.

Fuelrailmounts.JPG

The Black Hushmat that replaced the garlic bread looking OEM crap lol.
Hushmat.bmp

Close up of the Hustmat layers.......
Hushmat1.JPG

Getting the wiring organised.....
EngineWork12.JPG

Relocated emissions control module under the RH fender.
RelocatedEmissionscontrol.JPG

New billet gloss black rad and water bottles, replaces those eyesore white POS.
Rad_WaterBottles.JPG

Aftermarket rad bottle with neck shortened. Before it looked too long and in your face, it didn't need to be.
I made it around 3-1/2" shorter resulting in it being hidden and out of the way.

ShortRadBottleNeck.JPG

Valve cover nuts painted with high temp black paint.
Batscrews1.JPG

Valve covers in, headers, plugs, leads......just needed the coil packs!
BlackEngine1.JPG

Wiring, wiring, wiring......
EngineWireWork2.JPG

Wiring just about completed.........soon, intake!
EngineWiring01.JPG

Intake on........
EngineWiring02.JPG

Protective padding removed, looking good.........
IntakeOn1.JPG

THE ENGINE BAY
BatEngine1.jpg

BatEngine2.jpg

BatEngine3.jpg

BatEngine4.jpg

BatEngine5.jpg

BatramEngine6.jpg

TheBatram01.jpg

looks awesome Carl:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

When you gonna bring the Batram to the states so we can see it in person??:D :D
Looks AMAZING!!!

That is just FREAKING COOL !!!! Can't put into words how much I like it :D

Thanks everyone, as I said, I know "all black" isn't everyones cup of tea but I love it. I think I have issues :laugh:
I am very pleased. I also had the exhaust HPC coated as well, so everything is pretty darn black. :)

Darkness is the theme here.. So, only YOU can't have too much black Carl. And header gaskets black too? WOW, now that's attention to detail.

That looks absolutely amazing, black is my thing i loved blacked out cars and trucks. But yours takes it to a whole new level, by far the best i have seen yet.

Last edited:
Would it be easier to take the motot out? Looks very nice but you are obsessive compulsive perfectionist. Now come do mine:D

Last edited:
500snakz said:
Would'nt it be easier to take the motot out?
That's what I thought and I did ask that question on this board, the consensus was, leave it in place. With all the grubby hands and grease, it would have probably been messier afterwards lol. It wasn't too bad painting it in place to be honest. I was actually a little blown away though with how much masking was needed to do it right. I originally thought: "masking will take a few hours, tops". Boy was I wrong lol. I triple checked everything to make sure I got every mm of block covered (painted) and only removed all masking when I was 100% satisfied. I had it on 6 tonne jack stands too so plenty of working space. ;) I am very happy with the results!

Last edited:
Are we sure he really isn't Bruce Wayne??? Be honest Carl, you have a batman suit AND you have dressed up in it, AND drove the truck around at night. I know I would have. ;).

TREKER said:
Are we sure he really isn't Bruce Wayne??? Be honest Carl, you have a batman suit AND you have dressed up in it, AND drove the truck around at night. I know I would have. ;).
LOLOL!!! As close as I have come to that is a Batmask on the passenger seat when leaving it parked in the city, anyone looks in will scratch their head a little. I also use the remote start heaps, for example, at a petrol station when I'm coming out, I'll hit the button in my pocket (no one notices) and when I'm 25ft+ away I'll quietly (but audibly to bystanders) say: "Batram - start" and within 2 seconds (I have the timing down) after I've said it, it starts. :D Get some funny as looks haha. That's even without the Batrams voice box engaged, ie: "Batram Activated" in Robocops ED209 voice. :p All good fun eh!

Now, I'm off to do some house renovations.................in the South East corner.

Nice work!!! I'm not into black but your work is so perfect, I love the Batram!!!

waaaw , thats some sick shit dude !

the Batram looks AWESOME ! ! !

i wont be surprised if the director of the next Batman would ask ur car for the movie...:D :rock: :D

Beautiful
I have to ask because some of the shots look like they are out of a magazine quality. What kind of camera do you have...I want one

Demon 8 said:
Beautiful
I have to ask because some of the shots look like they are out of a magazine quality. What kind of camera do you have...I want one
Its a sony batcam.:p

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back