The Hellboy Update on the Ram From Hell

Last one before lunch...

Supercharging

The intercooler that comes with the Paxton kit is woefully (nay, laughably) inadequate. Heat soak is a MAJOR issue, since the factory kit has neither the water volume nor the radiator area to dissipate heat fast enough. I opted for a couple of eX-Metal upgrades, which include a MUCH bigger radiator (something on the order of 6x the surface area) and an ice/water reservoir (pump was mounted to the box, but really needed to be mounted elsewhere for clearance). All of this is plumbed in -12 lines (I think I'm into the lines and fittings parts for about $300.00 on this alone), and circulated by a hefty Meziere pump. The coolant temperature is monitored in-cab. Both the radiator and water reservoir were polished and treated.

The Paxton charge piping has all been re-polished (including removing the stamp from the intercooler) and treated. The Paxton "dryer vent" air intake was replaced by the DC Performance air box and hard intake pipe (reportedly good for a solid 8-10hp). All of the pipe clamps were thrown aside, and T-bolt clamps (I hand polished and treated every stinking one of them...) were installed instead. New soft couplings in red were installed. The DC Perf gear and the plain-jane Paxton supercharger brackets were cleaned up and powder coated (which also match the JMB hard radiator pipes, thermostat housing, and line-lock bracket).

Lastly, an overdrive crank pulley has been installed. Before you guys ask where I got it, I'll tell you that Bone and I both bought one. They were cut wrong, and had to be drastically re-machined. Even though the purchase price was refunded, our out of pocket on these was still about $300.00 a piece. Be it enough said there isn't anyone currently making them, so we can't tell you where to find one.

With a bigger crank pulley there is a small amount of additional power lost driving the accessories, but the increased drive ratio on the Paxton will make a big difference in boost, so this is something of a non-issue. The alternative of course is to run a smaller drive pulley on the supercharger. The problem encountered doing this is major belt slippage (hell, it's a problem with the stocker sometimes :eek: ). Speaking of slippage, I also spent some quality time with a scotch-brite pad and the supercharger pulley, breaking the glaze off of the belt surface. Another member here hit his with a wire wheel, and still has no problems with slippage. Then there's the issue of finding the correct length for a drive belt. I found the 113" works great on my application, and they're readily available too.

Attachments

• Reduced Intercooler Radiator.JPG
    Reduced Intercooler Radiator.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 97
  • Reduced t-bolt clamps.JPG
    Reduced t-bolt clamps.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Reduced Circ Pump.JPG
    Reduced Circ Pump.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Reduced Water Box.JPG
    Reduced Water Box.JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Reduced Bracket & Pulley.JPG
    Reduced Bracket & Pulley.JPG
    305.5 KB · Views: 117
Going back for a minute...

Thought I might show some of the earlier pictures in this project, starting with some of the ugliness from the tear down. Then there are a couple of collage scans of some of the new internals. New crank, Oliver rods, ProGram billet main caps, ARP hardware throughout, friction coating on rod and main bearings, Diamond pistons (friction coated sides, ceramic coated tops), JM Striker heads with inconel valves and Jesel rockers, and a modified oil pump.

Attachments

• Reduced Tear Down.JPG
    Reduced Tear Down.JPG
    370.6 KB · Views: 100
  • Reduced Number Four.JPG
    Reduced Number Four.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Reduced Engine On Hoist.JPG
    Reduced Engine On Hoist.JPG
    287 KB · Views: 72
  • Reduced The Big Empty.JPG
    Reduced The Big Empty.JPG
    290.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Reduced Engine Internals 1.JPG
    Reduced Engine Internals 1.JPG
    308.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Reduced Engine Internals 2.JPG
    Reduced Engine Internals 2.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 78
Here are a few final photos to leave you with, showing where things are.

Now that it's 2:00, I ought to get to work.:D

Attachments

• Reduced Front Three Quarter Paxton.JPG
    Reduced Front Three Quarter Paxton.JPG
    276.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Reduced Front Shot.JPG
    Reduced Front Shot.JPG
    264.6 KB · Views: 112
  • Reduced Under The Paxton.JPG
    Reduced Under The Paxton.JPG
    320.9 KB · Views: 112
I bet he has a face tan from looking into his engine bay :rock: ...

I know this might get ridiculed, but what headers did you go with :p

You need a photographer....I am available for a nominal fee and some of that moonshine you make :D Looks killer Mr. Harder :rock:

That looks damn killer...Nice job man...:rock: :rock: :rock:

TheSickness said:
You need a photographer....I am available for a nominal fee and some of that moonshine you make :D Looks killer Mr. Harder :rock:

It's tough to photograph such shiny stuff without a good deal of ambient light. One of those last shots was done on an extended exposure with no flash, which kinda works. Not making home brew anymore, but still have some Absinthe.:D Thanks for the compliment.:D

Cudajon said:
I bet he has a face tan from looking into his engine bay :rock: ...I know this might get ridiculed, but what headers did you go with :p

Actually I'm a bit pale from the time spent under the hood (oh, and I live in Washington...:D ). They're Bellangers, and nobody should ridicule you. If you're stuffing more air in, you will make more power by getting it out with less restriction.

So when do we put a raod trip together to go see this ride!!!!!

Ram From Hell said:
Mmmmm, 'bout that. Yeah.:burnout:

On a pump gas tune, that is.:D

You gonna run juice also:dontknow: I hope you got rid of those 4.88's:D

kyle's srt10 said:
You gonna run juice also:dontknow: I hope you got rid of those 4.88's:D

Juice? Well, I do plan on a dedicated track tune with either a mix of high octane or straight high octane fuel. I did have nitrous wiring integrated to the AEM ECU harness, and might elect to add a 100-200 wet kit some day.

As things would have it, it turns out that I ended up with 4.56's in spite of the 4.88's I'd ordered. I may need to go lower still...:burnout:

Ram From Hell said:
Juice? Well, I do plan on a dedicated track tune with either a mix of high octane or straight high octane fuel. I did have nitrous wiring integrated to the AEM ECU harness, and might elect to add a 100-200 wet kit some day.

As things would have it, it turns out that I ended up with 4.56's in spite of the 4.88's I'd ordered. I may need to go lower still...:burnout:

So you setting this up for 1/8th mile:dontknow: Why the low gears:confused: Or are your slicks going to be taller:D

ALL I CAN SAY IS:
:adore: :adore: :adore: :adore: :adore: :adore: :adore: :adore: :adore: :adore:
:congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:
:top: :top: :top: :top: :top: :top: :top: :top: :top: :top: :top: :top: :top: :top:

Looking good Eric. You have come a long way since Christmas.
I want to see it fire up. Will you fire it to make sure it runs, then limp it onto the trailer for the tuning trip? Or do you have a useable tune to do the break in miles on?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back