The Hellboy Update on the Ram From Hell

Thanks all! It's been a looooooong road.

kyle's srt10 said:
So you setting this up for 1/8th mile:dontknow: Why the low gears:confused: Or are your slicks going to be taller:D

1/8th mile is not a bad idea. I'm not terribly anxious to stuff a cage in my cab, since it will be a daily driver (well, primarily nice days). I have no doubt that this truck will get me kicked off the track with a full quarter pass.

But that's why I invested 11k in a new 8.5 certified chassis for the Studebaker.:rock:

Ram From Hell said:

1/8th mile is not a bad idea. I'm not terribly anxious to stuff a cage in my cab, since it will be a daily driver (well, primarily nice days). I have no doubt that this truck will get me kicked off the track with a full quarter pass.
But that's why I invested 11k in a new 8.5 certified chassis for the Studebaker.:rock:

That's for sure:D

tinygiants said:
Looking good Eric. You have come a long way since Christmas.
I want to see it fire up. Will you fire it to make sure it runs, then limp it onto the trailer for the tuning trip? Or do you have a useable tune to do the break in miles on?

Yup. Long, long way.

It depends entirely on how well it runs it runs on that tune. I really just need to make sure that everything is functioning, and there aren't any leaks. However, if the air/fuel is good I don't see why some break-in time could be had.:D

Great post and a killer job on the motor. This summer we have to have a GTG in the great northwest.

Ram From Hell said:

Can you do a cage like Big Nana has? I sent his pics to Patrick at Those Guys to see if it will work in mine. If I can triangulate via a swing out, i would prefer that over going out the back window.
Like you, I am betting I will be able to get kicked off with a full pass. If the cage idea does not work, then maybe a delay box is in order.

:confused: :confused: :confused: Doesn't someone want to break the tanks record???? :rock: :rock: :rock:

tinygiants said:
Can you do a cage like Big Nana has? I sent his pics to Patrick at Those Guys to see if it will work in mine. If I can triangulate via a swing out, i would prefer that over going out the back window.
Like you, I am betting I will be able to get kicked off with a full pass. If the cage idea does not work, then maybe a delay box is in order.

There's not much to be gained in my opinion with doing a simple roll bar setup in-cab. If you're really looking to stretch your beast's legs, put in a cage.:D

Otherwise, running 1/8th mile passes might be a suitable solution. Although running a throttle stop on delay (I think that's what you meant by "delay box") would also be an option.

I usually don't comment on what someone has done to the motor for the simple fact that allot of people just do the same thing as everyone else. (Me included.) But what you have done makes me drool. That thing is awsome and I am sure it will run like a bat out of hell.

noid said:
I usually don't comment on what someone has done to the motor for the simple fact that allot of people just do the same thing as everyone else. (Me included.) But what you have done makes me drool. That thing is awsome and I am sure it will run like a bat out of hell.

OCBob said:
Damn Eric, nice job on the truck. Gonna be some jealous folks when you bring this out in public.

Thanks for the kind words, brothers!:rock:

Ram From Hell said:
There's not much to be gained in my opinion with doing a simple roll bar setup in-cab. If you're really looking to stretch your beast's legs, put in a cage.:D

Otherwise, running 1/8th mile passes might be a suitable solution. Although running a throttle stop on delay (I think that's what you meant by "delay box") would also be an option.
I just want enough to not get kicked off for going under 11.5.

I have no expectation that I will ever go faster than 10.0 or whatever the next safety increase is.

Next we need to set up a showdown at Bremerton...King of Kitasap Co. on the line....May the fastest red truck win and you guys got a shot since the awesome looking red one is in the scrap heap now :D

portlandsrt said:
Hey Hellboy,,, any idea when you're making a trip down to Portland??? I really want to meet up.

Soon. :D

May nut up and try firing it off tonight.:ahhhhh:

Don't worry though. I'll post up as soon as I'm scheduled at RRev so anyone that's interested can see in advance if it will work with their schedules.

Ram From Hell said:
Soon. :D

May nut up and try firing it off tonight.:ahhhhh:

Don't worry though. I'll post up as soon as I'm scheduled at RRev so anyone that's interested can see in advance if it will work with their schedules.

Awesome Eric. I wish you the best. May all the fluid systems be tight.

Ram From Hell said:
Last one before lunch...

Lastly, an overdrive crank pulley has been installed. Before you guys ask where I got it, I'll tell you that Bone and I both bought one. They were cut wrong, and had to be drastically re-machined. Even though the purchase price was refunded, our out of pocket on these was still about $300.00 a piece. Be it enough said there isn't anyone currently making them, so we can't tell you where to find one.

With a bigger crank pulley there is a small amount of additional power lost driving the accessories, but the increased drive ratio on the Paxton will make a big difference in boost, so this is something of a non-issue.

Yeah, the bigger crank pulley was an adventure that had its twists. Right now, there is no one to make one that we know of presently. We modified an attempt to make us one from a good Viper Mechanic by sending it to Eric's machine shop. However, for those with Roe SCs, Sean Roe can mill a smaller SC pulley that will get you about 8.5 PSI (steady). Yes, like Eric said, belt slippage can be an issue. I added an extra tensioner pulley.

Once again, forged internals is highly suggested....you can always look at my Piston Rods if you don't believe me. lol :eek:

Cudajon said:
:confused: :confused: :confused: Doesn't someone want to break the tanks record???? :rock: :rock: :rock:

I blew up trying! :D:nurse::D Was getting close. Eric's turn.

It is actually more fun beating Stinker.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back