the V10 SOUND

72Duster

Reaction score
I see a ton of posts with people talking about the sound of the v10 engine.. Like most subjective things, there are many opinions.. Just made me think about it, I remember when i was a kid going to the local dirt track cars were just coming out with the 180 degree headers which on the mopar and chevy V8s with 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 firing order would swap 7 and 4... It would effectively make the V8 sound like 2 4 cylinders running side by side.. They would come down the straight screaming.. With that said, since a simple 2 cyc swap on a V8 makes so much difference, anybody considered the crossover primary tubes on the V10?? I don't know enough about the firing order or companion cylinders on these engines to predict the sound... but it could possibly have some dramatic effects on the sound of the trucks...

Attachments

• 180 Headers.jpg
    180 Headers.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 2,611
There is a little more to it than the exhaust. The cam is swapped as that is what determines which cylinder fires in what order. It won't work on the v10 because two cylinders fire at the same time. You wouldn't acccomplish anything.

If you want a v-8, buy a Hemi. The sound of the 10 cylinders took awhile to get used to, but its good to be different.

Ah.... So the V10 really IS like 2 5 cyl running side by side.... On the 7 4 reverse, whether accomplished by primary tube swap or by a cam swap... There was still no 2 cyl.s firing at the SAME time... now i begin to understand "THE SOUND"....... cool...

That being said, I love the way a V-8 with headers and Flowmasters sound, especially with a cam on a cold morning.

nothing sounds like a highly modded V-8 at about 7 grand... I have a .30 over 440 in my bracket car, it has Headman Hustler fender well exit with 2 inch primaries and 5 inch collectors.. My son was driving it this summer, first time i heard it make a pass in almost 20 years... sweet.. even if it is my own car...:D

the 10 has always and will always sound different. but i love the sound only thing that ever bothered me is how loud the rollers are but hopefully have that taken care of in a while here :) but other than that love the sound of that 10 even though i do like the sound of a nice 8 :)

I also like the sound of the 10!:rock:, its a different sound and very distinctive in my ears, I really like the sound of my truck with the mopar long tube headers and the Bassani exhaust with no cats, it has a loud exotic sound and I haven't heard another one that sounds the same!:rock:

And I can't say I've ever seen or heard of those crossover headers! Sure different!

I don't know the exact number of the Borla. My exhaust builder just called them "Borla Race Mufflers", but I just went out and measured them for you. They are 5" in diameter and 15" long. There is a pair of them as the system is a true dual exhaust system. By the way I think your system sounds good also, maybe even a little louder than mine at idle.

I prefer the sound of my V10 over the standard V8 b/c it's unique, loud with full exhaust and turns heads.

I did a clip of my truck today.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWGlKhRb3aA]Ram SRT10 Mopar/Borla Exhaust Striker Cam - YouTube[/ame]

There's a frog in my garage??:marchmellow::marchmellow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back