Thoughts on the SRT-4 Caliber

AWDisuzu said:
I picked up a 2 year old mercedes benz c55 amg for the same price and it's ten thousand times better.

just my opinion!
~Mike~

NICE ride...I had a S55 AMG that was unreal and was considering an E55 AMG at the same time...what a fuggin' car! But talk about resale value plummeting...WOW!

0708_sccp_02wp2008_dodge_caliber_sr.jpg

1492221646_be73d60fe0.jpg

2008CaliberSRT4collage9.jpg

2008DodgeCaliberSRT4int4.jpg

Caliber_SRT4int.jpg

ag_08srt4_rearbumper.jpg

caliber_srt4-thumb.jpg

08_dodge_caliber_srt4_340.jpg

**** I can't see the pictures at work! I'll have to wait. The ones I see on eBay do look decent with the addition of the ground effects, rims. The turbo helps 2.....:rock:

The clutch is so different from our trucks too... Stalled first time I took it out going into first. You need a comealong to press our truck clutch down and this one is like trying to not break an egg sensitive. Also grabs near floor compared to the truck.

I say F' it man. If you want it then go get it. The good trade in number is the big deal. I drive 111 miles to work and back everyday, so I know the gas price pain your feeling. Even my Tacoma hurts me at the pump now!

go ahead and get it,i hear it comes with a gay pride sticker stock!
ask mutt he got one with his gayfire

I stopped reading this thread halfway through and had to chime in so I might be a bit behind. The price the dealer has offered you on your trade is FANTASTIC. That is certainly a good deal. That being said, you should not pay sticker for the Caliber. I would say you should pay about $5,000 below sticker, maybe more. If you get $7,000 for your truck and $5,000 or more off sticker for the Caliber that is a good deal. But wait. The dealer will probably be looking to make money on the financing because they sure as shit are not making money on the sale or the trade. This deal is 100% dependant on the financing. If it's 1.9% or 0% with no pre payment or other penalties then you are golden. Buying a car can be a big financial loss to you if you don't negotiate all the terms of the deal to your advantage. If you pay $2k below sticker and 6% interest on the loan, the deal is barely worth while.

flchub said:
go ahead and get it,i hear it comes with a gay pride sticker stock!
ask mutt he got one with his gayfire

Well if I get the car, I'll mail you the sticker so it will complete your transtesticle transformation :thefinger: I will still have my SRT10 you dope. ;)

I do like Jack Daniels though... Maybe MUTT has the right idea...:dontknow:

And just because I can fit into a Caliber is no reason to make fun of it CHUB!!! :marchmellow:
:slug: :slug: :slug:

ChrisAZ said:
I stopped reading this thread halfway through and had to chime in so I might be a bit behind. The price the dealer has offered you on your trade is FANTASTIC. That is certainly a good deal. That being said, you should not pay sticker for the Caliber. I would say you should pay about $5,000 below sticker, maybe more. If you get $7,000 for your truck and $5,000 or more off sticker for the Caliber that is a good deal. But wait. The dealer will probably be looking to make money on the financing because they sure as shit are not making money on the sale or the trade. This deal is 100% dependant on the financing. If it's 1.9% or 0% with no pre payment or other penalties then you are golden. Buying a car can be a big financial loss to you if you don't negotiate all the terms of the deal to your advantage. If you pay $2k below sticker and 6% interest on the loan, the deal is barely worth while.

List is 26 but I may get for 22.5. Not sure yet. I have financing already in place so thats not the issue either.

Really comes down to the point I made earlier I guess....

Staying with the ram @125k, escalating repair / maint bills, high gas prices, no warranty and higher payments for another 1.5 yrs OR a little speedy good on gas, 5 yrs of payments, warranty 3-36 shitbox. :dontknow:

The practicality is what I am looking for... Is it practical to do this move? Can a hemi truck that has been well maintained last for another 100,000 miles? :dontknow:

TNVIPER said:
You say the truck has 125,000 on it...if you bought it new in 2004 then that is 31,250 miles per year. Is this correct?

June 4th 2004 was the day I took it home. Yes sir....:eek: So I figure 7k as a trade in is not too bad.

Saw on the connection your dealer is trying to get rid of one.

TREKER said:
June 4th 2004 was the day I took it home. Yes sir....:eek: So I figure 7k as a trade in is not too bad.

Saw on the connection your dealer is trying to get rid of one.

If you are driving that many miles a year get it..I dont need my master degree in accountancy to know you will save big time......

.and yes, my dealer is wanting to sell it bad....he didnt talk price but he said if someone was serious they werent leaving without it..;)

TNVIPER said:
If you are driving that many miles a year get it..I dont need my master degree in accountancy to know you will save big time......

.and yes, my dealer is wanting to sell it bad....he didnt talk price but he said if someone was serious they werent leaving without it..;)

I am going to see what they have to say. Maybe I'll get lucky with them. I did buy through them before.

Will miss my rig though...:eek:

TNVIPER said:
You bought from Alleys before?..what did you get?
No. I have bought from the dealer I am looking @ the Caliber for.

They are telling me they are going to drop price even more now for me. Talk is cheap.

I am small, I am 5'7" and I was very cramped in the caliber. the seats are made to hold you tight, so cruising with your right arm up on the passenger seat headrest can't be done in this car. Also, I found it very difficult to turn around to check on my kids in the back seat.

the braking is sketchy at best. and time I hit the brakes somewhat hard, the car would swerve left and right. the torque steer was pretty bad as well.

I might be spoiled though, since the srt-10 stops on a dime as does my $11,000 scion xa.

The front seat on the caliber seems comfy at first, but if you spend more than 30 minutes in it it quickly becomes obvious there is not enough support. the cusions are very soft and you sink in. The numerous adjustments had to be fiddled with constantly for me to attempt any comfort.

cup holders, they put them where it's very difficult (even for me and my short arms) to reach. They are too far back. there is no room to move them though since so much space is used up by the plastic dash

if you have knees, they won't be happy in this car. my short ass kept banging my knees into the steering column. this car just didn't fit me at all. I felt pinned inside.

the trip computer is hard to reach because it's up on the dash in the gauge cluster so it's hard to adjust while driving. you actually have to reach through the steering wheel to hit the button.

it's ugly. and it's loud. not as loud as some other cars (the mazdaspeed 3 is worse)

a few things i liked.

25 mpg on the freeway. not to bad. the c55 gets 23 and has a 5.5 liter v8....

smooth ride. (which is bad since it is the cause of the shitty braking, cornering, and torque steer)

great radio. never heard such a great radio in a factory car. 13 speakers I think and a very loud subwoofer. The in dash cd player is excellent. however, no AUX port which sucks. thankfully the satellite radio came built in.

there is probably more but that;'s all I can think of right off the bat.

I paid $31 k out the door for the srt-4 and $29k out the door for my c55

~mike~

TREKER said:
How about giving me some of the things you hated most about it. :dontknow:

I am not a small guy 6'-2 and weigh about 235lbs. It is snug compared to the truck but thats to be expected.

eh theres a srt-4 caliber running around here, not bad performance but I think the neon was better. As far as looks, its better than the stock look but still a ugly little turbo troll on the road (my opinion). just my 4 and a half cents.

AWDisuzu said:
I am small, I am 5'7" and I was very cramped in the caliber. the seats are made to hold you tight, so cruising with your right arm up on the passenger seat headrest can't be done in this car. Also, I found it very difficult to turn around to check on my kids in the back seat.

the braking is sketchy at best. and time I hit the brakes somewhat hard, the car would swerve left and right. the torque steer was pretty bad as well.

I might be spoiled though, since the srt-10 stops on a dime as does my $11,000 scion xa.

The front seat on the caliber seems comfy at first, but if you spend more than 30 minutes in it it quickly becomes obvious there is not enough support. the cusions are very soft and you sink in. The numerous adjustments had to be fiddled with constantly for me to attempt any comfort.

cup holders, they put them where it's very difficult (even for me and my short arms) to reach. They are too far back. there is no room to move them though since so much space is used up by the plastic dash

if you have knees, they won't be happy in this car. my short ass kept banging my knees into the steering column. this car just didn't fit me at all. I felt pinned inside.

the trip computer is hard to reach because it's up on the dash in the gauge cluster so it's hard to adjust while driving. you actually have to reach through the steering wheel to hit the button.

it's ugly. and it's loud. not as loud as some other cars (the mazdaspeed 3 is worse)

a few things i liked.

25 mpg on the freeway. not to bad. the c55 gets 23 and has a 5.5 liter v8....

smooth ride. (which is bad since it is the cause of the shitty braking, cornering, and torque steer)

great radio. never heard such a great radio in a factory car. 13 speakers I think and a very loud subwoofer. The in dash cd player is excellent. however, no AUX port which sucks. thankfully the satellite radio came built in.

there is probably more but that;'s all I can think of right off the bat.

I paid $31 k out the door for the srt-4 and $29k out the door for my c55

~mike~
Thanks Mike! I read your previous post and was hoping you'd elaborate.

I've been considering one of these for a couple months now. I'm just not sure I want to unload my SVT Focus for it.

Now that Mike spoke up, I wonder if my 6'4"/260lb ass will even fit in it, and be comfortable too?:dontknow:

I'd love a new car (everybody does!), and more power is always good (especially Turbo Powa!), but my Focus fits me pretty well, gets
~25-26mpg with the driving I do, still under warranty until 9/09, and I paid cash for it back in 9/04. It's only got 38K miles on it now, so it's far from 'worn out'.

I guess for the time being, I'm keeping the Ford!

Oh yeah, the Focus handles and brakes like a MoFo!!:D :rock: :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back