To use a Viper motor or stroke a HEMI

chargerman426

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm thinking about my next project and was trying to decide what the better option would be. The plan is to take a used Charger (that can be had around 10K or less) and make a very reliable, semi fuel efficient, and very powerful street car. The two options I have come up with are below.

1. Buy a six cylinder charger (cheeper than the HEMI ones) and put a gen III viper motor in it. I've seen this done so I know the motor fit that biggest problem is going to wiring the motor and converting the car to a 6 speed stick. I have spare parts already in stock since I've been buying parts for the truck so just getting a block and other things I don't have I think costs would be less than 8K in a motor and trains build.

2. Buy a 5.7 HEMI (seen them for 11K with over 100K miles on it) and upgrade the stock tranny and stroke and bore it to well over 400ci. There are stroker kits that will bring the motor to 410 (price: 4,200) and then over bore it to 4.00 so it should be around 430ish ci. The biggest advantage of the HEMI is the lower cost of parts than the viper and I can ether custom tune the stock ECM or have it reflashed vs buying a new one with the viper motor. Also current me if I'm wrong but even it I built the motor it should still be able to do cylinder deactivation so gas milage will be good on the highway and the build on the motor should be around the viper motor but with out the head achs of wiring.

Not 100% sure about your hemi route options there but if you check out LXForums.com there is a ton of info out there for those cars. My 6.1L has no cyl deactivation so I can't help ya with that one! I do know there are force feed kits for LX's that will get you all the power you want and then some, depending on how you build the engine, and maintain stock fuel economy (mine for example, stock engine with Vortech kit, putting over 500 to the wheels, still get 23+ mpg on the highway) :) Of course, the V10 is just wicked cool under the hood and starts out at over 500 hp so... there is that :) Good luck! :)

Cool factor, Viper motor. For power and bang for the buck, Hemi. Those Hemi motors made crazy power and still get good gas mileage. Their 1/4 mile time make our timeslip section look like a joke. We have a 5.7 with spray and bolt ons running an 11.8 with my wife driving.

Parts are also abundant for the Hemi motors as well, I believe Arrington sells the striker kit or complete motor.

The end goal in this build is something that reliable and fuel efficient enough for it to be a DD if I feel like and not have more than 18K in it. This car will be driving A LOT more than the truck since I don't think I will be a worried about it in a parking lot as much as the truck. I don't know about you guys but I just hate taking the truck anywhere because I alway worried about something happening to such a rare truck.

Can't go wrong with a Hemi stroker, even NA they make over 500 hp to the wheels easily.

Last edited:
You pretty much will shoot the fuel economy in the head with a stroker Hemi in most cases, especially if you go 426+ in size. 400+ whp on a stock sized N/A hemi is doable though still with decent economy. :) The head flow numbers is pretty ridiculous on these engines... :) Imagine a Viper V10 Hemi... wow... nutz.

The gen III does look sweet inside an LX platform....

DSCN0585.jpg

DSCN0583.jpg

The funny thing is there's way more room on the sides of the engine than with the Hemi lol. Part of why I am doing that instead of a hemi swap into my Van! :)

Parts are cheap if you buy used on a lx forum, we got maybe $2k total in our Charger, 12.4 1/4 mile on 22's. I would consider that a sleeper car.

Parts are cheap if you buy used on a lx forum, we got maybe $2k total in our Charger, 12.4 1/4 mile on 22's. I would consider that a sleeper car.

Doing what to it?

The weak point on the lx cars is the drive train but mancini has a solution for that also. I have been considering the same idea

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back