Trailer Tow Off or On at Track?

bmako

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When at the track the past few times I noticed that my truck shifts to 4th before the 1/4 ends. If I engage trailer tow will that stop the shifting into 4th and improve my run time? Also will it potentially cause any damage? Any comments!!:dontknow:

Tow/Haul should keep you in 3rd longer and prevent you from going into overdrive. However I don't know how the DR's affect the gearing.

....... lets just say your trans. is your weak-link. There are some here that have gone threw several auto/trans. trying to get more out-of-her.

Becareful!
Quick

put it in T/H and click off the button as you hits the traps!

bmako said:
why do i have to click it off at end of 1/4
once you pass the traps no use in keeping the revs up, it will drop it to OD

our 3rd gear is the same as 4th in a RC (1:1 ratio)...so fine out if guys make it through the traps in 4th with DR's

I just leave the Tow/Haul button in default (Off) with the drag radials.

Although the lower overall tire does change the 4.56s to something more like 4.90s!
It would likely E.T. the same pulling a small tent trailer... Hey, I might try that if they'd let me on the track!

Last edited:
As long as there's no harm to the tranny, I will try it both ways on wed. night. Will let you know the results. Its hard to watch rpms when you're concentrating on the run.

bmako said:
As long as there's no harm to the tranny, I will try it both ways on wed. night. Will let you know the results. Its hard to watch rpms when you're concentrating on the run.

have you driven a manual a 6 speed?:D

i am at the end of 4th through the traps on the same tire but I have .410s...taller tire or higher hear like stank said is the way to go.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back