Trans/rear diff

VIPER-INJECTED

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bored :bebored: So here ya go...

This is just for ppl that don't know what to do and would like to work on their own truck. Sorry for the pics(iPhone).
I was not going to get my Nikon dirty for these pics. Just helping out to keep these trucks on the road:rock:

As for what type of fluids, I have noticed here everyone has their own opinion. Use the search button and you will see...
Note: If you do not have access to a vehicle lift, be sure vehicle is level on jack stands. Do not just lift the front end to get under vehicle.
If vehicle is not level, you will not put the correct amount of fluid in trans/rear diff. This will cause damage if fluid levels are to low causing lack of lubrication.

You can also use a shorter extension (I also used a 1' inch extension.)

The liquid gasket is used to the drain and fill bolts before you go to reinstall them.
Don't drench the bolts with /lightly coat threads.
You can also use Teflon tape whatever your personal preference is.

Drain bolt located on passenger side of transmission

Fill bolt located on drivers side of transmission
Fill trans until fluid starts to slowly drain back out of fill hole (same goes for the rear diff)
trans took exactly 3.5 quarts of fluid

Don't forget limited slip additive for the rear diff- factory Mopar LSD friction modifier 4oz bottle p/n- 04318060AB

Last edited:
Good write up.

You should mention what kind of fluid you used for the trans and diff.

Mopar recently came out with a new gear oil for the Viper transmissions. I did my last fluid change with that stuff and its so much better than the ATF4 fluid I used before. Tranny is much much quieter. Like completely different.

Its MOPAR SAE 75W-85 Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid.
Part no: 04874459

Good write up.

Mopar recently came out with a new gear oil for the Viper transmissions. I did my last fluid change with that stuff and its so much better than the ATF4 fluid I used before. Tranny is much much quieter. Like completely different.

Its MOPAR SAE 75W-85 Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid.
Part no: 04874459

The gear oil will make the trans quieter, but will make shifting slightly more difficult in cold temperatures, not that you have to worry about that. ;)

The gear oil will make the trans quieter, but will make shifting slightly more difficult in cold temperatures, not that you have to worry about that. ;)

Hahah. Doesn't get lower than 40 too often here... ;)

The SRT10 is now reserved for "fun" driving. Not my daily anymore.

Good write up.

I used Mobil1 syn ATF for trans & factory rear diff fluid +6oz of LSD friction modifier. And I saw some ppl we're saying after installing Mobil1 they got rattle noise from trans/shifter. No problems here shifts VERY smooth, and no rattle noises at all.

I used Mobil1 syn ATF for trans & factory rear diff fluid +6oz of LSD friction modifier. And I saw some ppl we're saying after installing Mobil1 they got rattle noise from trans/shifter. No problems here shifts VERY smooth, and no rattle noises at all.

When I switched to ATF I did have the gear rattle that can be heard with the clutch out in neutral. I don't consider it a problem just a characteristic of th ATF in our transmissions. Glad to hear you didn't have the noise.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back