Turbo 400!???

Jfireboy1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Called this tranny shop today to find out some info and when the techs there heard I had twins they told me I should put a turbo400 tranny and dump the crap that's in it. They said they custom built a twin turbo qc 10 and did away with the 48re and installed 400 turbo tranny and held up with absolutely no problems. Anyone ever heard of this being done or know for a fact that that tranny will hold up better than the 48re?

Exact same thing I did to mine. TH400 with gearvendors for overdrive. I haven't gotten mine back from the shop that is doing the twins yet but hopefully will soon.

Dom also has the same setup and is changing converters. Talk to him before you buy and see what he has learned. I already have a converter so we'll see if I have problems down the road.

Turbo 400s are a dima a dozen for now and relatively inexpensive to build since the demand for parts has been high for decades. The adapter plate and custom crossmember,driveshaft, O/D if ya want it, floor shifter if wanted. These are the parts that add up.

Didn't realze it could be done. So I take that the 400 is more durable than the 48re!? There is a shop here able to do it. How does the gearvendors work on this. Does it give it an over drive gear for the hwy?

it can be done, but be prepared to spend some $$$ usually arond 6-10k plus the gear vendors will rob some of the hp also, jsut depends on what you want in the end;)

I am acquiring a 48RE....that was built for a diesel truck to handle over 1500 lt lb torque...should not have any issues with it and it has a warranty...

The turbo 400 is great but if you plan to drive it you'll want an overdrive so you don't rpm out the V10..one thing to consider...the gear vendor product does not hold up under a ton of torque...so be prepared to have that thing rebuilt or replaced.....

Dom does not long distance drive his SRT10 turbo truck...so it works great for his needs!

I am fixing to take out my 4R100 from my turbo lightning inorder to install a powerglide over the winter..to save on weight and better power transfer....I only take my truck to the occasional cruise from time to time!

Hope that helps!

Got too much invested and do not wanna watch someone else drive away in it after all I got into it! Lol! :D

:(:mad:

Ok LMFAO I was actually thinking of buying it!! It would have been a mistake!!:burnout::eek::dontknow::elefant::itsme::aetsch::toilet:

not really , Joe is going thru this truck with a fine tooth and comb actually there is nothing wrong with it, but joe wants to really make it bullet proof, upgrading everything to absolute top notch from bumper to bumper, but as it sits its twice the truck of most on the forum

Well I put it up for sale after I fixed the tranny so really that post is of no importance.... No one on this forum would be selling their truck if they weren't allowed to if something had ever broke or malfunctioned including you! :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back