Turbo question, drop in psi

Stinker said:
Ok heres another twist guys, I have sneaked off today from momma and talked with a couple hometown boys about the ride today.
First off they found a few things they were not happy with, but to small to go into details.

But they "really" didnt like the position of the drivers side wastegate, I'll take pics later ,but the wastegate is mounted facing opposite direction of exhaust flow to turbo, resulting in the worst flow you can have to a wastegate. So that may be part of my problem.

But they want me to bring it by friday or saturday , install the 10 lb springs, and for now do a tune for 10lbs straight to be sure its safe to drive without the drop for now.

Then later on its going back to them after I recoupe my $'s a bit , and it will basically be completely redone, new wategates(tial) two BOV's,new plumbing, and a complete fuel system. And eventually AEM computer.

They say it should work fine for now.

Also talked with them about becoming a vendor, and they said they would snoop around and check us out!

Cool Stink....I am glad you have a plan to fix it....sounds like you have some good people helping you...:):)

Silverback said:
A quick note to Eric and Smoke. Once again, not trying to be an ass,

That train has already left the station. Glad to have you hear to help out cause I'm only going by what I think is going on. I did not even think about the 2 systems being different.

Stinker said:
Ok heres another twist guys, I have sneaked off today from momma and talked with a couple hometown boys about the ride today.
First off they found a few things they were not happy with, but to small to go into details.

But they "really" didnt like the position of the drivers side wastegate, I'll take pics later ,but the wastegate is mounted facing opposite direction of exhaust flow to turbo, resulting in the worst flow you can have to a wastegate. So that may be part of my problem.

But they want me to bring it by friday or saturday , install the 10 lb springs, and for now do a tune for 10lbs straight to be sure its safe to drive without the drop for now.

Then later on its going back to them after I recoupe my $'s a bit , and it will basically be completely redone, new wategates(tial) two BOV's,new plumbing, and a complete fuel system. And eventually AEM computer.

They say it should work fine for now.

Also talked with them about becoming a vendor, and they said they would snoop around and check us out!

Based on what I could find I would say it's your boost controller. For whatever reason it's not hiding (so to speak) that extra 3 PSI of boost. And since it's a gradual loss of boost that means to me at least it is slowly leaking back through the controller.

I would not worry to much about the position of the wastegate your buddies found. If it was a real issue it would not be routing enough exhaust around the turbo and you would have to much boost. That's not your problem.

FlyingLow said:
That train has already left the station. Glad to have you hear to help out cause I'm only going by what I think is going on. I did not even think about the 2 systems being different.

"That train has already left the station." Does that mean I'm a ass no matter what.:dontknow: :confused: ;) :p :D

anyway, im not so sure anything is actually wrong here. it's pretty normal for boost to spike a little high then drop back down a bit when the wastegates open up. what kind of boost controller are you using? I've found the best ones are just simple ball/spring valves (homemade) that block the boost line to the wastegate until boost is high enough to move the ball and allow the pressure to reach the wastegate. you get hardly any boost spike with these. those electronic ones are expensive and very slow to respond resulting in spikes.changinf the spring in the wastegate is not necessary. I run a 6 pound spring in mine, and run 28 psi of boost.

good luck!

Silverback is the first guy to post some completely accurate information here.

The turbos are 60mm Full T04 Tang Turbos from precision turbo with a .96 Ex housing. They are not to small for that motor.

The Stock computer was not flashed to remove the wot timer(as far as I understand)

Thats where you are wrong "DALTON", I respect everyones opinion on here and every little bit helps, from AWDISUZU who has done alot to SVTFREAK whom is very knowledgable to SILVER a very good friend and evryone else who has given input to this carnage of crap I have in my shop that i am tryin to sort out, and also tryin to find some place to put a damn windshield washer resevior that somehow dissappeared from under the hood.So dont get me started, especially since the bed of the truck was filled with boxes of stuff like manifolds and so-on, and totally took the paint slam off the inside of the bed! It may be truck, but its a limited truck, and people should respect other peoples autos and not just throw stuff in the back of them.Now I have to also have the bed of the truck painted, and dents to the tailgate fixed. You would think people would have more respect for a $50,000 auto:mad:

I thought about this last night and am sure its not relevant but here it goes. When I was having boost issues (not enough) it was thought to be the lack of backpressure from the lack of cats, 3 inch exhaust, and headers. They were going to put the cats back in to put in some back pressure and thus higher boost. Turns out of course that their were air leaks.

I dont remember if you had cats or no cats but maybe when your on the gas the lack of back pressure (prob more for foot off the pedal) is preventing the boost from maintaining itself. Figured I'd throw it out.

Dalton is the moron at Pro Turbo Systems that DROVE T's truck 100 miles on the STOCK FUGGIN TUNE!!! And basically broke his truck. I know Im gonna gget some haters on this but I DONT PHUGGIN CARE! Its the truth!

actually, backpressure reduces boost. you want as little resistance as possible on the exit side of the compressor.

Dave T(BADVENM) said:
I thought about this last night and am sure its not relevant but here it goes. When I was having boost issues (not enough) it was thought to be the lack of backpressure from the lack of cats, 3 inch exhaust, and headers. They were going to put the cats back in to put in some back pressure and thus higher boost. Turns out of course that their were air leaks.

I dont remember if you had cats or no cats but maybe when your on the gas the lack of back pressure (prob more for foot off the pedal) is preventing the boost from maintaining itself. Figured I'd throw it out.

Stinker said:
Thats where you are wrong "DALTON", I respect everyones opinion on here and every little bit helps, from AWDISUZU who has done alot to SVTFREAK whom is very knowledgable to SILVER a very good friend and evryone else who has given input to this carnage of crap I have in my shop that i am tryin to sort out, and also tryin to find some place to put a damn windshield washer resevior that somehow dissappeared from under the hood.So dont get me started, especially since the bed of the truck was filled with boxes of stuff like manifolds and so-on, and totally took the paint slam off the inside of the bed! It may be truck, but its a limited truck, and people should respect other peoples autos and not just throw stuff in the back of them.Now I have to also have the bed of the truck painted, and dents to the tailgate fixed. You would think people would have more respect for a $50,000 auto:mad:

Hey man is that thing still together??? :dontknow:

Yeah its still together! i'm just making things look alot better, got some Q's for you though on the vaccum lines, may call in the morn if its ok?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back