Turbo's

mauiSRT/10 said:
Do we really have a successful turbo setup yet? All I can think of is guys whom have had lots of issues.

patrick

Mine, but I'm really low on HP due to some tuning issues. Once I get some meth and a tune then I should be GTG.

FlyingLow said:
Mine, but I'm really low on HP due to some tuning issues. Once I get some meth and a tune then I should be GTG.

You're a brave man Scott. With the record of the STS I would be working to replace it. That's a damn site cheaper than a new engine.

All I can say it good luck.

Silverback said:
You're a brave man Scott. With the record of the STS I would be working to replace it. That's a damn site cheaper than a new engine.

All I can say it good luck.

I don't want to turn the boost up, just get a better tune and some meth. I'm also thinking about adding a VEC2 and some bigger injectors. All the people who blew their engines had issues. As I talked with each one I found out their issues. I have over 15K miles on mine so far. Thanks for the good luck. If I could I would trade it out, but my wife is not going to let me spend the money to take it out and then put something else in.

The cheapest route to make big power would be to put good pistons in, build the tranny and spray the piss out of it.:D

I don't know what my EGT's are. The STS is rear mounted so I don't know how much that effects the EGT readings. But I have never had my EGT's read.

you still should have a egt gauge in place. with a turbo, the air goin into the engine is hotter than normal, combined with the extra backpressure, can sometimes cause the exhast gasses coming out of the heads to get too hot. most of the time it wont, but there's always a chance

Stanimal said:
you still should have a egt gauge in place. with a turbo, the air goin into the engine is hotter than normal, combined with the extra backpressure, can sometimes cause the exhast gasses coming out of the heads to get too hot. most of the time it wont, but there's always a chance

Since the STS is mounted in the rear it is using back pressure to spin the turbo, not the exspanding exhaust gases to spin it. I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that this is causing excessive heat build up in the cylinders which has caused some of the failures.

Anyway, that's my theory.

Stanimal said:

I have a wideband A/F and a boost gauge if that matters.

both are a must with turbos, but you still should know your egt's. to be real safe, i would put one on each bank (side). you can never be too safe. my friend has the worlds fastest vw @ over 209 milesm a hour. hes got a egt gauge on every cylinder. whats surprising is the fact that 2 cylinders run 200degrees hotter than the rest, so he knows not to put as much boost to it as he can. when he only had 2 pyros it all looked fine, but he was careful and it is paying off.

Last edited:
You monitor your egts and use this valuable information as a tuning aid......

Dollars to doughnuts THIS is one contribution to failures with the turbo

Just to be clear once and for all
THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH TURBOS!!

The STS is the only ones to have problems, mine was due to other crap, but turbos are a killer way to go to get mega hp and tractability.

Stinker said:
Just to be clear once and for all
THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH TURBOS!!

The STS is the only ones to have problems, mine was due to other crap, but turbos are a killer way to go to get mega hp and tractability.

Stinker is totally right! If you have the cash and know of a tuner that can handle the tuning for turbo vipers you will be happy. Huge HP turbos are the way to go.

Like the pic stinker :)

Steve Austin

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back