Turbo's

Stanimal said:
both are a must with turbos, but you still should know your egt's. to be real safe, i would put one on each bank (side). you can never be too safe. my friend has the worlds fastest vw @ over 209 milesm a hour. hes got a egt gauge on every cylinder. whats surprising is the fact that 2 cylinders run 200degrees hotter than the rest, so he knows not to put as much boost to it as he can. when he only had 2 pyros it all looked fine, but he was careful and it is paying off.

Flyinglow and anyone else who flys understand this post. Most highly tuned aircraft engines monitor the temperature in every cylinder. It is very very important in turbo charged aircraft engines...one of the check list points is to be sure that all cylinders are at operating temps, and during run-up that the cylinders do not exceed optimal temperatures...if one cylinder or more seem to have temperatures beyond parameters, we hope it is a bad guage...and we make sure it is checked before we go up again!

that is correct. the reason he put the pyros in all cylinders is because he noticed the block was thinner on 2 of the outside cylinders. the way the engine is setup 2 cylinders dont transfer the heat as much so it was running too hot with the boost he was running (32lbs) so now he has it cut back to 28lbs. he can change the tune while hes driving to accomodate for changes in weather ect. he has a laptop built into his car. i will admit thou that it is the fastest thing i have ever been in even if it is a "ricer". but when i let him drive the truck, he got the biggest grin i have ever seen. he said his car is fast, but the truck is something else lol

How true...Our trucks are really, really "something else"...kind of like a great fullback...huge, strong and sooooo quick. Getting all that weight going is so special...not everyone will understand...but we do.

Steve Austin said:
Stinker is totally right! If you have the cash and know of a tuner that can handle the tuning for turbo vipers you will be happy. Huge HP turbos are the way to go.

Like the pic stinker :)

Steve Austin

For the Record?? That is fucking BAD ASS!!!! not a bad way to spend $9200 :D

Thanks bro! I need to post up a new pic, and send one to Steve for his site.

You know , I had some problems with pro turbo, but its in the past.

but guys for a little over $5000 you can have a single system with as big a turbo as ya want, I would love to see someone with a strong bottom end and a single 76mm turbo making around 900-1000rwhp!!!!

Stinker said:

but guys for a little over $5000 you can have a single system with as big a turbo as ya want, I would love to see someone with a strong bottom end and a single 76mm turbo making around 900-1000rwhp!!!!

I just want to be blown.:( :eek: :D

Stinker said:

Really for $5k??? Imma check this out...I really only would want a nice 650 or so on the street.

Blakewilder said:
Mine is a Suncoast...i love it!
:dito: :dito: :dito:
Same. Best upgrade I have done so far with the billet stall converter from Suncoast - post is on this forum. Complete raped ape now. Can't wait for the track to open next month. I put the truck in drive and feels like someone just hit me from behind. Shifts like none other!

If you got the money, go turbo for the higher top end. I've never owned a SC vehicle but as the others have said, great low end torque from the Paxton and Roe, not to mention the price is right. You would spend the same on cam and Striker Heads. Luckily for us, there are more and more options available every day, along with a great forum, knowledgeable people and super vendors. You won't find any better.:rock:

It really depends on what you want to drive... I have had a centri car, a turbo car, and a twinscrew car...

The centri was like a stock car until I got to about 4500 rpms. Not much grunt from a hole and when the rpms get up it comes on like a freight train.

The turbos kind of came on at different times pending temps outside and even things like if it rained recently or not. It was very hard to guage when I was diving into corners or coming out of a corner. On the strip they hauled arse in a big way. They hit hard and they still accelerate at the top end. My et's would be about the same as a blower but my mph were faster.

The twinscrew ended up being my favorite for the street because it is very consistant, has LOTS of grunt at lower rpms, and the torque curve is as flat as a table top, lol.

That all being said, I like the twinscrew for the street the best. But if I was building a truck for track only I would have to go turbos.... :D

What about twisty roads and autocross tracks? Whats the best setup for that? SC or Turbo... and what is a twin screw?

Azmal said:
What about twisty roads and autocross tracks? Whats the best setup for that? SC or Turbo... and what is a twin screw?

A twin screw is a positive displacement blower such as the Roe design. The Paxton is essentually a belt driven turbo.

Turbos can, depending on how they are set up, be a real handfull on the twisties. If you start to get into the throttle to hard, to soon, you will find yourself heading into the woods backwards. With a turbo you have to learn how to drive the vehicle again.

belt driven turbo? I thought the thing that made a turbo was that it operated off exhaust, and s/c ran off a belt?

Either way, sounds like S/C is more suited to me, least for the truck. Got turbos in the Z

Go with Roe Racing...lots are going that way now...zero failures to date, lots of available power...the right choice for the street and occasional trips to the strip.
DSC03385.jpg
[/IMG]

Well, nothing wrong with roe, but I'm kind of obligated to boomer after asking him 20 million questions and all. Plus I like the paxton's looks much better. (going to be showing the truck) ROE is in CA anyway right? waaaayyy to far

Azmal said:
Well, nothing wrong with roe, but I'm kind of obligated to boomer after asking him 20 million questions and all. Plus I like the paxton's looks much better. (going to be showing the truck) ROE is in CA anyway right? waaaayyy to far

Can't think of anyone I would rather be obligated to...you need to be loyal to him, I assure you he will be loyal to you!

Am planning on getting my ride to him as soon as I can get it out of cold storage...for some traction solutions, and probably have him change to the new rear end we are doing a group buy for in a couple of weeks.

Azmal said:
belt driven turbo? I thought the thing that made a turbo was that it operated off exhaust, and s/c ran off a belt?

Either way, sounds like S/C is more suited to me, least for the truck. Got turbos in the Z

Okay, I confused you. Sorry.

The reason I called it a Belt Driven Turbo is that they both compress the air with a driven impeller. On the turbo the impeller is driven by the exhaust. On the Paxton it's driven by a belt. Neither one is a positive displacement air compressor like the Roe is.

The Roe takes a set volumn of air and compresses it same as an air compressor.

Did that help clarify what I was trying to say?

my dads been tryin to get me to put a blower on the truck since the first time i took him for a ride 2 years ago. thought about it and have been tryin to get the money to do it for a couple months now. who has the roe and do you like it?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back