Twin or single turbo setup

Tonkasmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So am planning on going to turbos. After talking to Justin At JMB I intend to have him build my setup. (by the way the service he offers is amazing emails back next day I was shocked thanks Justin). Anyways with that being said just trying to figure out what the main differences are between a single and a dual setup? The positives/negatives and any experience with driving them would be great as well. Such as what rpm they hit full boost (auto so less rpm's to work with) and any major maintenance issues that differ between them As well. Currently plan to go with these 3 tunes, 1. For gas mileage maximization 2. Like 800-850 fun tune 3. Max on 92 pump anyways any other ideas or input is appreciated. Last part I currently have a red truck thinking black and red powder coating but not sure if anyone else has any unique Ideas. Thanks for all info and please keep this thread clean hoping to email Justin back in next couple days with some final answers for finalized pricing. Thanks guys - Tim Smith

This has been a large debate on other platforms I have worked on....twin turbo or single turbo. When I was running my stealth, many people felt they were ultimately able to get more hp from a large single snail vs two decent snails. I prefer the twin turbo setup for a faster spoolup. Though it may not be an issue with these large 8.3L motors. I would guess it depends on what your goal with it is. Are you looking for good numbers on the dyno or good numbers on the track? I have known a few huge snail powered cars that put down huge numbers on the dyno but did poorly on the track.....gotta love dyno queens. Just my two pennies on it....

Our engines don't fare well with turbos! Usually leave windows in blocks! I would go with dual small turbos for quick spooling and keep the boost under 15# Remember that any more than 600 HP is ludicrous on the street! There is very little traction in any gear. it will be more scarey than fun!

I don't understand what "usually leave windows in blocks" means and I have a 620+ whp rig now and would like more then that. As far as track time goes I might go a couple times a year but really it will spend 50% of it's time in mileage mode and 45% of the time in play mode the rest would be those one or two track days. After speaking with Justin he doesn't seem to think a 900 whp rig to drive around in will be a problem he said going over 1000 is where you get a lot of issues. I do intend to have a tranny and rear end built to handle this though. With that said why do turbos not work well on our trucks.

having had twins and driven several single cars, it's tough...

for every day streetability, i would personally do twins.

less lag, quicker spooling into the powerband, and maximizing the useability on the street.

for dyno queens, or drag cars, a bigger single is the way to go, more boost, better top end, more power...

there's only one person with a big single that drives (drove) it on the street.... i don't know if dom ever had twins on his truck, but all the rest of the street trucks were twinned...

if i were going to do it, i'd do twins...

I don't understand what "usually leave windows in blocks" means and I have a 620+ whp rig now and would like more then that. As far as track time goes I might go a couple times a year but really it will spend 50% of it's time in mileage mode and 45% of the time in play mode the rest would be those one or two track days. After speaking with Justin he doesn't seem to think a 900 whp rig to drive around in will be a problem he said going over 1000 is where you get a lot of issues. I do intend to have a tranny and rear end built to handle this though. With that said why do turbos not work well on our trucks.

windows in the blocks means a hole in the block from a blown motor.

he probably doesn't know that you're forged and wanting more;)

BUT... just because it's forged doesn't mean it's impervious...

i don't know why anyone would say "turbos don't do well"... if it's built right, you can turbo anything... from planes, to big trucks, to jetskis and most anything in between...

Okay sounds like twins are the way to go then for me. I have heard that turbos will increase mpg if tuned for that. Do you know of anyone with a turbo or twin turbos who has a max mpg tune done and if so how much. Tried to search this but had a hard time finding much on turbos in general

i wouldn't know where to begin on that.

here's a few i know that have or have had TT's

stinker
joe (jfireboy) or something like that
walt (k-80-123) or something like that
snakeguts, i think?? he is either doing it, or had one and is redoing it???
rob (robwclark)

the only single i know of is dom... he's an alright guy;)

This has been quite a debate on this forum in the past. Do not base spool time on what setup you want, you can very easily make one setup spool faster than the other. Doms truck would make 15psi by 3000 rpm on the street with his 88mm and made 1200whp with mild ported heads and a small cam. A quadcab auto will come on even faster with a good torque convertor. The other thing to consider is that faster spool is not always better for traction. A very quick spooling setup will come on super fast and make peak torque very quick which makes it alot harder to control. Doms truck literally hooked better making more power with the bigger 98mm because it came on slower. The only reason to go one way or another for a street vehicle is packaging (is it easier to fit one or another), price (twins are usually more expensive, since you are buying two turbos, two wastegates, etc.), and the look your going for. I personally like the look of the huge single, its cheaper to do on an SRT-10 ram, and it fits as good or better than twins (no messing with the fuse box stuff on the drivers side or brake booster/master cylinder clearance issues). Both have been proven to make big #'s, both can fit nicely in the engine bay, both can spool very quick, neither are cheap when done correctly. Its about personal preference more than anything else.

Also dont count on any increased mileage with any forced induction setup.

Justin

Last edited:
This has been quite a debate on this forum in the past. Do not base spool time on what setup you want, you can very easily make one setup spool faster than the other. Doms truck would make 15psi by 3000 rpm on the street with his 88mm and made 1200whp with mild ported heads and a small cam. A quadcab auto will come on even faster with a good torque convertor. The other thing to consider is that faster spool is not always better for traction. A very quick spooling setup will come on super fast and make peak torque very quick which makes it alot harder to control. Doms truck literally hooked better making more power with the bigger 98mm because it came on slower. The only reason to go one way or another for a street vehicle is packaging (is it easier to fit one or another), price (twins are usually more expensive, since you are buying two turbos, two wastegates, etc.), and the look your going for. I personally like the look of the huge single, its cheaper to do on an SRT-10 ram, and it fits as good or better than twins (no messing with the fuse box stuff on the drivers side or brake booster/master cylinder clearance issues). Both have been proven to make big #'s, both can fit nicely in the engine bay, both can spool very quick, neither are cheap when done correctly. Its about personal preference more than anything else.

Also dont count on any increased mileage with any forced induction setup.

Justin

There's the guy that can answer all your questions, I would go single, less to go wrong(less moving parts) than a twin setup.

Either way, I'll think you'll be happy. And the plus is, you'll be able to sell the Paxton for about $3000-$3500.

There's the guy that can answer all your questions, I would go single, less to go wrong(less moving parts) than a twin setup.

Agreed, Justin knows his shit. That being said I totally agree with the fact that you can " TUNE" the turbo system around lag/spool time. Pipe sizing affects everything!;) I still agree a single snail is the way to go other than being symetrical, l0l.:D and enjoying the sight of two turbos. I still think there is future in rear or mid mount turbos sytems

Have you considered running some nitrous in conjunction with the blower? You would be very surprised what a little 75 hp shot will do.

Depending on the availability....you might want to look into E85 as well.....

windows in the blocks means a hole in the block from a blown motor.

he probably doesn't know that you're forged and wanting more;)

BUT... just because it's forged doesn't mean it's impervious...

i don't know why anyone would say "turbos don't do well"... if it's built right, you can turbo anything... from planes, to big trucks, to jetskis and most anything in between...

I arrived at my opinion on turbos on one of a few threads like this one.http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f8/sts-turbo-50435/

I arrived at my opinion on turbos on one of a few threads like this one.http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f8/sts-turbo-50435/

I wouldn't base your opinion on the STS turbo, it didn't seem to work for long, but there is lots of others that used other turbos that have had great luck with them.
If I were to switch over to turbos, I personally like the look of the twin set-up,but for sure Justin would be the guy I would be using!! :rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back