Uh oh, Tranny problem.

Exo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the truck out today and it didn't want to shift to third when it was WOT. Just kept going into the red. Going to do a flush and band adjust this week and hope that fixes it.:(

Prolly the govenor solenoid. If the second gear band binds up, it won't be able to shift into 3rd, but it also roasts the front clutch. Then you have no 3rd gear, ever.

Hopefully, it's just a simple governor and pressure sensor. Let us know how it turns out.

Hey Todd,my tranny guy(ACEomatic transmissions) up here can do a tranny in few day turn around if needed,hopefully you get it going after the service.

Ya I am hoping it is not a major problem. Wanted to take it to Banff for the weekend.

have you done anything to the truck lately?... sounds more like your throttle pressure cable is out of adjustment.---theres a sticky in the DIY section on how to adjust the thottle cable

Hehe. Changed to a bbk throttle body. Will get them to look at that when I take it in. Tranny needs a fluid change anyway.

thats your prob... I think a couple others have had issues getting it adjusted just right with the BBK... maybe they'll chime in

Funny thing is my tranny recently started acting up. The guy at my shop says sounds like it's not building line pressure. Mine also holds gears way too long and also doesn't shift responsively at WOT. to him it sounded like line pressure issue so he said it's either the valve body needs to be tweaked or he needs o
make adjustments to get the line pressure up.

Ya it is one of Tony's bbk TB's so it doesn't have the sticking problem but I will see what I can do about the cable adjustment.

I honestly wouldn't touch the cable until you get your truck to a shop. If it's not a cable position issue, you may end up doing more damage then is really there. Did your problem just recently start happening?

That's the problem. I do all this stuff over the winter. Then when summer comes I haven't driven my truck in 7 months and you forget how it shifted before and everything seems suspicious. Like now it really slams from 1-2 and 2-1. Can't remember if that did it before. Also it waits till about 3k rpm to shift to second when just driving around and that seems high.

Exo said:
That's the problem. I do all this stuff over the winter. Then when summer comes I haven't driven my truck in 7 months and you forget how it shifted before and everything seems suspicious. Like now it really slams from 1-2 and 2-1. Can't remember if that did it before. Also it waits till about 3k rpm to shift to second when just driving around and that seems high.

The 3K shift is how my tranny is set u,but stock it shifted alot earlier.

No it should shift in relativity to how much pressure is applied in the throttle. If I'm just coasting with light throttle pressure it will shift real low. If I get in it that's when my shift problems occur. Sometimes the 1-2 shift will shake my whole truck.

Well here is hoping I don't need a new one or re build. Flush and band adjust is on Friday. Will let you know.

So if I remember right. 1-2 is at 3k. 2-3 at normal throttle is around 3 k too. WOT 1-2 is around 5500 and 2-3 is just over 6 I think but I let off before it shifted so there was a shift point just over 6 but it might not have been WOT.

The 1-2 shift when I am WOT seems right but at normal or light throttle it is really hard. Like it moves your head back if you aren't ready for it.

3K is high for normal driving with a stock trans. Mine shifts around 2300 if I remember right. I'll let ya know in a couple of hours when I drive it:D

So I was looking at the cables on my TB and out of the 3 I can see one problem I think. The one that is off to the side is quite loose. Like almost an inch of play in it. What is that one? The others I can't really tell.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back