Uh oh, Tranny problem.

Just went in mine again to check normal throttle shift and 1-2 is defiantly 3k on the nose and 2-3 is 2800 maybe.

Whats your Friday look like? Might bust out of work early and take a rip down and get you to show me how this is done. Am I right that the cable shouldn't have almost and inch of play?

the hard late up shifts and hard downshifts are due to the Throttle valve ie (cable on the tb) being to tight, it is what tells the trans how much throttle you are giving and it will alter the shift pattern to accomidate it. so if the cable ajustment is to tight the trans will shift "hard and late" because that is what you want when you are at WOT and if the cable is really far out of ajustment it might make it not shift at all into 3rd untill much latter, the "tv" valve "throttle valve" accually raises the main line psi and works against the gov psi to hold the shift valves from shifting early its this rise in main line psi that also causes the "hard" up shift. not shure on the auto trans in the QC but is there a vacume modulator also? it looks like a small canister with a vacume line going to it. this line should be hooked up to the intake manifold and tells the trans how much load the engine is under, this works in conjunction with the TV valve to tell the trans how to shift, sorry im sure some of this is out of date as most if not all auto transmisions have done away with the modulator valve and rely on the engines computer to make the calculations on engine load, as well as using solenoids to shift instead of shift valves. But the theroy is the same as to how they work..
I think it will be a simple adjustment..
Joe

ACE said:
the hard late up shifts and hard downshifts are due to the Throttle valve ie (cable on the tb) being to tight, it is what tells the trans how much throttle you are giving and it will alter the shift pattern to accomidate it. so if the cable ajustment is to tight the trans will shift "hard and late" because that is what you want when you are at WOT and if the cable is really far out of ajustment it might make it not shift at all into 3rd untill much latter, the "tv" valve "throttle valve" accually raises the main line psi and works against the gov psi to hold the shift valves from shifting early its this rise in main line psi that also causes the "hard" up shift. not shure on the auto trans in the QC but is there a vacume modulator also? it looks like a small canister with a vacume line going to it. this line should be hooked up to the intake manifold and tells the trans how much load the engine is under, this works in conjunction with the TV valve to tell the trans how to shift, sorry im sure some of this is out of date as most if not all auto transmisions have done away with the modulator valve and rely on the engines computer to make the calculations on engine load, as well as using solenoids to shift instead of shift valves. But the theroy is the same as to how they work..
I think it will be a simple adjustment..
Joe

Well there you go. Learn something new. But I guess it doesn't take much on vehicles for me.

Exo said:
Whats your Friday look like? Might bust out of work early and take a rip down and get you to show me how this is done. Am I right that the cable shouldn't have almost and inch of play?

Friday I will be here,the wife has an eye consultation to go to and not sure on time frame.:dontknow: ,will find out and PM ya Todd:rock:

So let me get this straight. So a cable is to tight on my TB and it is making my tranny think that I am giving it more throttle than I am? So when I am giving it 1/2 throttle it thinks I am giving it 3/4 and shifts later?

And thanks Joe.

Exo said:
So let me get this straight. So a cable is to tight on my TB and it is making my tranny think that I am giving it more throttle than I am? So when I am giving it 1/2 throttle it thinks I am giving it 3/4 and shifts later?

And thanks Joe.
Yup, that'll do it. Have you tried adjusting the cable. It's actually very easy. It literally takes about a minute form start to finish. If I can do it, you can do it.:)

I read that how to in the DIY section and it was confusing haha. Take A and move to C the to D back to A and don't move C or your truck explodes.

JUst go out there and adjust it so we can all see if this fixes your problem or not!! I hope it does

Well seeing as it snowed last night again I probably won't be taking the truck to Joe's to get him to work on the cable adjustment. Just one question before I try it myself. Which out of the 3 cables am I working on?Top one, bottom one or the one on the side?:dontknow: :dontknow:

Exo said:
Well seeing as it snowed last night again I probably won't be taking the truck to Joe's to get him to work on the cable adjustment. Just one question before I try it myself. Which out of the 3 cables am I working on?Top one, bottom one or the one on the side?:dontknow: :dontknow:
It's the top one with the white retaining clip. You'll see when you release the white clip, that the cable has a little spring tension to it. remove the clip, un hook the cable end from the throttle linkage, pull just enough on the cable so there is no slack in it, dont pull any more than that. Now align the center line of the cable end with the center of the part on the throttle linkage that the cable attaches too. Push the white clip back in and clip the cable end back onto the throttle linkage. It's that easy.

what does the one on the right side do? Cause it has almost an inch of play in it?

one is your throttle cable/ one is your throttle pressure cable (trans)/ and one is your speed control cable that goes to the servo

okie dokie. Guess when it gets back from getting flushed I will see if all this info helps. But from what everyone is saying this cable is my exact problem. *fingers crossed* Didn't need this snow on the ground that is for sure.

Exo said:
okie dokie. Guess when it gets back from getting flushed I will see if all this info helps. But from what everyone is saying this cable is my exact problem. *fingers crossed* Didn't need this snow on the ground that is for sure.

Yeah this white crap S U X !! I got my truck in the garage just in time,more snow today and tomorrow then rain on Tues!:(

You could also bring your truck up to my tranny guy Todd and I'm sure he could do a service on your tranny,flush,adjust bands and tv cable all in one shot:rock: ,just a thought:dontknow:
From your place Todd to his would be less then an hr,he is just on the noth side of Beaumont (south of city on 50st.)

Last edited:
Ok here we go.

SO my mechanic flushed the tranny and said there was like maybe 2 specs on the magnets in the tranny.:burnout:

Then I got it home and took 20 seconds out of my day and adjusted the cable. She shifts like a dream.:rock: :rock: :rock:

Thanks for everyone's help. Saved me a lot of head ache. Now just try and stop me from doing burn outs all around town haha.:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back