Valet tune? Or Lemon?

EddieSRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought my dream truck, and there are a couple issues!

When starting in first, sometimes the truck lays down (no power) at 2500rpms
However if you are aggressive enough, and still this doesn't always work, it powers through.
And the other issue is when just casually cruising, the motor lurches.

I feel I haven't got my full 500hp! I have a Charger SRT that just kicks its ass.

The previous owner says he hasn't done much for maintenance, crept change oil and clean air filter.

Could it be the plugs are done? Injectors are dirty? Throttle body is tired and dirty? Or do I have a lemon.

Just realized I had this posted in performance mods. When this isn't obviously a mod... But a hinderance. :eek:

how many miles she have on her???

I would start with the plugs, its cheap and easy.

Congrats on your truck and a belated welcome

I'm starting with a full tuneup, change plugs, check compression, change wires, clean air filter, clean throttle body, clean injectors, check lines, check pressure, check exhaust. Then have a look at it all.

I want my full 500hp.

Btw. Thanks for the welcome!

I'm starting with a full tuneup, change plugs, check compression, change wires, clean air filter, clean throttle body, clean injectors, check lines, check pressure, check exhaust. Then have a look at it all.

I want my full 500hp.

Good luck with those wires, might as well do the coils while you're digging under the intake

I want my full 500hp.

Btw. Thanks for the welcome![/QUOTE]

Good luck with that. Headers and full exhaust, cat less, TB, UD pulley, K&N intake and a super tune and I got 494 hp and that may have been with a little fudge factor. :D

Something is wrong with your truck. Plugs and wires aren't going to help. Start with checking for plugged cats.

Something is wrong with your truck. Plugs and wires aren't going to help. Start with checking for plugged cats.

What about a cam sensor boss? :D

It just popped up a code at lunch. . This will help. I can put my scanner on it when I get home from work.

I don't think it's the cats, it does have power when I stomp on it. Just a bit jerky gettin there.

I had a Camaro with some of the same symptoms. That was a throttle positioning sensor.

Mine has been slow for a long time now.

Replaced plugs and wires and installed demon coils... no change
Cleaned out intake manifold...no change
Cleaned injectors... no change
Built a true CAI....no change
Bought a JTSVP TB.... no change, except have a surging idle now (still)
Bought new TPS and IAC.... no change...
Installed B&B long tube headers... with high flow cats.... a little improvement.

I don't know what else it could be other then maybe the engine is just tired.

My truck feels like its 50-75hp low.

the Quadcab needs a tune! there is a bunch of torque management that saps power to preserve the transmission. Air , Fuel , Spark..... if it spins over and has good compression (165+) you have air. an Air/Fuel gauge is a must, but if your fuel pressure is at 58 psi you have fuel. spark timing is computer controller. it is affected by alot of things including intake air temp. and engine knock. if the engine knocks at all, It will pull enough timing to to want to fall asleep to protect itself! (the 04's don't have a knock sensor). Make sure you run high test gas!

I want my full 500hp.

plus that 500 was at the crank, minus auto trans loss, u got about 400 at the wheels, if everything works correctly

Yup. Code said throttle position sensor. Have to order tomorrow, get all the bits for a good tune up this weekend!! Get my 500 (at the crank ;) ) back!!

And yes. I do want to supercharge. Any Roes going cheap? Hehe

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back