Valve Adjustment Required?

bart

Reaction score
Hello all,

does the gen 3 require a valve adjustment at any specific interval?

thx

oh well. must be a rod bearing. I was really hoping to find out they have solid lifters. dang it. 30K miles and I don't drive it that hard. is this typical? or could could it be piston slap?

I would think a rod hearing would make quite a different sound than your valvetrain ... but it's true, it's all hydraulic... it's not like the old days where the performance engine options came with solid lifters. the maintenance frequency them would pretty often.. how long have ya owned it? 30k is low miles as old as these trucks are but it could of been a rough 30k miles ..

yeah bought it in 09 with 9000 miles. it was really taken care of. they were nice enough to put 3" exhaust on it for me. Looks a lot like yours. '04 Black RC.

Drive all my other everyday cars WAY harder and never had a rod knocking. kinda disappointed. Guess I will have to pull it before it goes thru the block.

It wont do it once its warmed up, but you know its there.

Oh freakin well.

Maybe opportunity to get the weak factory clutch slave cylinder fixed.

yeah bought it in 09 with 9000 miles. it was really taken care of. they were nice enough to put 3" exhaust on it for me. Looks a lot like yours. '04 Black RC.

Drive all my other everyday cars WAY harder and never had a rod knocking. kinda disappointed. Guess I will have to pull it before it goes thru the block.

It wont do it once its warmed up, but you know its there.

Oh freakin well.

Maybe opportunity to get the weak factory clutch slave cylinder fixed.

Sounds maybe weird, but there can be a knocking Sound coming from Header bolts during warm up. Some other had the issues.

Normally a spun rod makes noises warm or cold. Is your oil pressure lower than normal or consistently high as before the Sound ?

Maybe check your oil first and then see what Comes out. Copper colored shavings in the oil -> spun rod, if not maybe you are lucky :D

You might pull the valve covers and do a visual inspection before you decide the noise is a bearing. Broken valve springs are not unheard of on these motors.

Also bad belt tensioners slap on these making people think worse as well. I know it sounds crazy, but I have seen memeberes eperience that.

ok base line time....Did you just purchase truck?, just to make sure our valve train is very nosy and injectors can be heard also at idle with hood open..if it sounds like a mariachi band your fine, now if your hearing double bass like in that death metal crap it may be bottom end....After you check everything, motor mounts, header/exhaust manifolds, manifold heat shields and hydraulics get an oil sample....They will be able to tell you if there is excessive bearing particles that may not be noticeable to the eye...

We live in decent high tech world where everybody has camera phones that should be able to record video and upload it straight to youtube.

Basically, make a video of the sound truck running and upload it.

I would caution against running the engine in it's current condition. These Crankshafts are expensive! Minimize the damage and just start some disassembly until you find the real problem. ......my 2 cents

Thanks to all for the advice.

Not a spec of anything on the drain plug magnet

About time to torque the header bolts...will check.

Will check tensioner

Oil pressure has not changed since I purchased it. about 75% of whatever the gauge is

Tried the 15W-50 mobile 1...no difference.

Bought truck in 2009 with 9K miles. original tires. Still got original tires with...yes...original air. put 5lbs in twice since 09.

I did see that these cranks are something like $6k

I would have to go look but can the pan come off with out pulling it?

Last edited:
I agree the valve train is noisy on all of these...injectors and valves and everything on these motors are pretty loud. 15w 50 made it a lot quieter.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Not a spec of anything on the drain plug magnet

About time to torque the header bolts...will check.

Will check tensioner

Oil pressure has not changed since I purchased it. about 75% of whatever the gauge is

Tried the 15W-50 mobile 1...no difference.

Bought truck in 2009 with 9K miles. original tires. Still got original tires with...yes...original air. put 5lbs in twice since 09.

I did see that these cranks are something like $6k

I would have to go look but can the pan come off with out pulling it?

Changing the subject a bit, but, riding around on 10 year old tires is bordering on dangerous. They may have plenty of tread, but tires do not age well, especially on a truck that can go as fast as ours do. You are asking for a blowout. Here in the Arizona heat, 3 years tops out of a set of tires, no matter what the treadwear says. Ask yourself, is the result of a blowout at high speed worth a $150 tire?
Just my 10 pesos (2 cents).

Changing the subject a bit, but, riding around on 10 year old tires is bordering on dangerous. They may have plenty of tread, but tires do not age well, especially on a truck that can go as fast as ours do. You are asking for a blowout. Here in the Arizona heat, 3 years tops out of a set of tires, no matter what the treadwear says. Ask yourself, is the result of a blowout at high speed worth a $150 tire?
Just my 10 pesos (2 cents).

agreed mate

thewelshm

Appreciate the concern. I don't get it over 70. I am hoping they will still be there when I sell it. No dry rot whatsoever. It stays in heater and air conditioned garage, I think that helps. Going to play the originality card when I am asking top dollar 20 years form now. These trucks are scary at high speed anyway. I just like to smoke the Hondas and the diesel guys off the line at the red light.

I hope all of our trucks are worth a mint someday.

But I definitely agree, no high speed on old tires.

My box truck(s) use firestone transforce tires. We get over 100K on those tires over the course of about 8 or 9 years and that's not running them all the way down. They still got 3/32 when we change them out. Those are by far the best LT tires.

I agree. I hope our 10's will be worth a mint someday, but in the mean time drive them like there is no tomorrow. They were built for fun. I got tired of people asking me about the clicking noise the engine makes. I tell them it has solid lifters & that usually shuts them up.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back