Viper Spec T-56 For Sale

FATJACK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody need a good tranny? Got one for sale, if I remember right it has less than 20K miles on it. Will take 15 hundred for it plus shipping.
Tranny only.

Anybody need a good tranny? Got one for sale, if I remember right it has less than 20K miles on it. Will take 15 hundred for it plus shipping.
Tranny only.

wtf you going automatic :D

is it an '05????

Just a free bump. i've shopped for a viper spec for my build a while back. 1500 is about as cheap as you will see. Someone jump on this!

So the viper spec is out of a viper? Was this on a truck? How would it drive on 5th and 6th if the gear ratios are different?

i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't believe the trans's are identical from the gen3 cars to the trucks...

i believe the 5th and 6th gear ratios are .65:1 and .5:1 respectively... remember the cars have tall gears... like 3:07 and the trucks have 4:10 or 4:56 gears... i also think there's some diffences in the internals... i might be saying the wrong term, but i think the shift forks are steel in the viper cars, in maybe 1st-4th... and i think they're plastic in the truck trans... or something like that...

for sure, though, they're a derivative of the viper spec trans because there's a sneaky pete viper emblem embossed on the top of the trans near the shifter... something, for instance that my old camaro didn't have, or my buddy's camaro doesn't have...

i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't believe the trans's are identical from the gen3 cars to the trucks...

i believe the 5th and 6th gear ratios are .65:1 and .5:1 respectively... remember the cars have tall gears... like 3:07 and the trucks have 4:10 or 4:56 gears... i also think there's some diffences in the internals... i might be saying the wrong term, but i think the shift forks are steel in the viper cars, in maybe 1st-4th... and i think they're plastic in the truck trans... or something like that...

for sure, though, they're a derivative of the viper spec trans because there's a sneaky pete viper emblem embossed on the top of the trans near the shifter... something, for instance that my old camaro didn't have, or my buddy's camaro doesn't have...

Close buddy! The forks are all the same as well as syncros and pads. The gears themselves are a harder steel and have a different cut to them to support the extra 2000 lbs the RC has over the coupe. The output shaft of the truck is bigger diameter than the car as well. The 04 T56 has a counterbalance on the end of the tranny and the 05-06 do not. Does nothing for performance or antivibration in my honest opinion. Correct only Viper T56 have the Sneaky Pete embossed on the aluminum housing. There are two shifter locations, one for car and one for truck. I do agree that 5th and 6th gear are a hair shorter. Vettes, Camaros, Trans Ams, Aston Martins, Mustang Cobra ( Terminator) as well as a few other manufacturers used the Borg Warner/ Tremec T56.:D

Yes if the tranny is out of a truck you are good!

Dan- The second location is covered with a gold colored or silver colored flat plate. Give or take 10" back.:D

I can remove and install these damn things in the dark with a "flojack" and about 2 hours.:D Unfortunately done it about 8 times.;)

If I buy a t56 want to help me swap it into my hemi? Lol

I'm thinking there would have to be a crankshaft swap to the 6.1 Challenger Hemi unless your crank already has been factory machined for the pilot bearing? I also know there was a Hemi 6 speed in 3/4 and 1 tons so I don't know if all crankshafts were machined for a pilot bearing or if there are 2 different cranks built. That's about the only thing I see preventing the mating of a T56 to a Hemi. I would, however, use the challenger 6 speed instead of the Viper to simplify installation. Im sure it would hold up.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back