VS-X700 Gen-3 to Gen-4 Engine Conversion

582152_10100566033735808_153801867_n.jpg

Final form...

Well, the numbers are in!

This car just put down to the wheels: 613.5 HP, 589 Ft/Lbs. Peak Power was made at 5950 RPM, and Peak Torque at 5100 RPM.

As noted earlier in the thread, this was built with zero-compromise on the low-end and driveability, that was a primary stipulation. Boy... did it deliver. The car sounds incredible, drives as well as stock, makes just shy of 500 Ft/Lbs at 1500 RPM, still cranks out a hair over 700 crank horsepower... and I don't have to tell anyone how good it looks.

Personally, I think this car is just about at the limit of NA horsepower before you start to give up something somewhere else.

Overall, I think my final conclusion is that there may be a card game, or a fight to the death over whether or not Tom gets this car back. I want to keep this one.:D

:rock::rock::rock:sweet:burnout::burnout::burnout:

EDIT: Since a few have asked elsewhere, it is also worth noting that;
-This package is absolutely 640-660 RWHP capable with an alternate camshaft, for those who are willing to make a few sacrifices in the name of peak power.
-This car was Dyno'd HOT. No cold dyno run cheating, manifold icing, or any of that stuff. Every pull was done with a heat soaked engine at 190+ coolant temp.
-These heads are NOT ported if you missed it earlier in the thread.

Personally, I think this car is just about at the limit of NA horsepower before you start to give up something somewhere else, be it low end torque, idle quality, surging, lack of vacuum, etc. There is of course middle ground that can satisfy most people before getting to the point of "extreme", but I know where Tom is coming from on this one. I have another car here right now as well that has a camshaft about 4 degrees larger on in/ex, and 1 degree less LSA, and it is definitely a different animal in the driveability department.

Last edited:
Awesome work man, how do you think the gen iv compares to the strykers as far as HP/dollar

The Striker heads are excellent, no doubt about that. However, considering the numbers this car just put down on its rather small camshaft compared to some of the more extreme profiles aimed at peak power out there, how well it drives, the superiority of the Gen-4 manifold design, and how many "extras" are included in the price tag; I have to hand it to the Gen-4 conversions, not the Strikers. Port wise, they are very similar, and should have very similar overall capabilities when comparing ported to ported, but the Gen-4 manifold [and throttle] design has it all over the Gen-3. That fact alone will make a big difference in the larger cam cars that need all the flow they can get.

You cannot overlook the fact that these packages, no matter who's you opt for [Ours or Mopar], look better and are a superior overall layout, with "bonus" items such as COP capable valve covers, superior breather system, manifold designs, etc.

What are the chances of getting one of the new "plastic" manifolds from the upcoming Viper for this conversion on a GenIII? How would someone get a pair of the cable activated throttle bodies?

What are the chances of getting one of the new "plastic" manifolds from the upcoming Viper for this conversion on a GenIII? How would someone get a pair of the cable activated throttle bodies?

I would not anticipate a fitment problem at all, probably approaching a direct swap. It would however require an alternate approach to IAC control/fitment, as the Gen-4 manifold can be welded, the composite one could not.

The throttle bodies are available separately... but you do not want to know how much they are, believe me. Those are not high-production simple generic designs or near-net-cast finish machined parts.

Last edited:
Looks amazing,

But its on where near the limit of NA " Viper" v10s.. but sweet ride.

Well, the numbers are in!

This car just put down to the wheels: 613.5 HP, 589 Ft/Lbs. Peak Power was made at 5950 RPM, and Peak Torque at 5100 RPM.

As noted earlier in the thread, this was built with zero-compromise on the low-end and driveability, that was a primary stipulation. Boy... did it deliver. The car sounds incredible, drives as well as stock, makes just shy of 500 Ft/Lbs at 1500 RPM, still cranks out a hair over 700 crank horsepower... and I don't have to tell anyone how good it looks.

Personally, I think this car is just about at the limit of NA horsepower before you start to give up something somewhere else.

Overall, I think my final conclusion is that there may be a card game, or a fight to the death over whether or not Tom gets this car back. I want to keep this one.:D

When I seen the first post /pic my mouth LITERALLY dropped!! ;)

Looks amazing,

But its on where near the limit of NA " Viper" v10s.. but sweet ride.

I think you misinterpret what I was saying. Obviously, this package is nowhere near what an N/A package CAN make on one of these engines. However, it absolutely is right at the limit of what can be done N/A on a stock short-block before you start to have drivability issues.

I have another car here right now with heads that flow similar numbers, and a camshaft that is just a smidge larger [about 4 degrees more int/ex, almost the same LSA, almost the same centerline, etc] and it is completely and utterly a different animal. On the very low end, it bucks and surges. It has vacuum issues under certain circumstances. It has very little torque off idle by comparison. Granted, we probably hold driveability standards higher than just about any other shop/tuner I have ever seen, but this slightly more aggressive cammed car was a nightmare to get where *I* would call it acceptable.

Of course, a full standalone can help this issue if you start to hit the limits of the JTEC controller, but it will still have some symptoms show through in any case. Running a car in open-loop so that it "behaves" is not an acceptable solution for a street car IMO, it is a band-aid that has the potential to cause other issues under changing conditions, and will no longer be inspect-able in NY.

It is also worth noting that ALL of the dyno numbers and pulls on this [and any other car here] are always done HOT, at 190+. There is no cold pull dyno cheating BS to try and make the numbers higher. That number is exactly what the car makes, end of story. I could absolutely cool the engine down and pull that number into the 620-630 range playing the game that others do for the sake of appearance... but that's not reality.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back