VTCoA Oct 2009 TOTM - Preliminary Vote

VTCoA Oct 2009 TOTM - Preliminary Vote

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
eddie102870 said:
i would think everyone would be more than willing to honor john in this way, its not like TOTM is the holy grail. but i think its a very small way to say we are going to miss him. just my opinion.
That's exactly what I was trying to say Eddie. John was a very active member of this site, and was a good friend to many of us here. We won't ever get the chance to honor him again, now is the time.

OK, here is my honest feelings on this......

I think John was great. I may not have agreed with his obvious view on the world, but he was what he was.

I think we are creating a very difficult president. There is almost going to be an expectation that the TOTM will be given to people will extreme hardship and/or death. If this was the case, then is what we should be doing is the Member of the Month and not the Truck of the Month.

My hope was.......

By sharing the Main page photo between Dennis and John, we could all grieve and recognize John as a valued member of the VTCoA. Is what we are saying now, it that we are going to afford that honor to John for a second month, and this is where I think it's unfair.

The mention of the front page and the honor of winning the TOTM and being able to wear a Polo with VTCoA Truck of the Month is the Holy Grail. The truly sad part is, the vast majority of the members here will never qualify in the eyes of the masses to be TOTM. This simple things like, no FI, or I'll only vote for a black truck or QC are for pussy's and don't deserve it. We all have our reasons for supporting one truck over another, so if you have an off the showroom floor stock truck, your odds of winning go way down to .0000000001%.

Some of you may not remember 2006, but the TOTM ran for some time and just died at the end of 2006. In April of 2008, I took it upon myself to bring it back. I didn't bring it back for any other reason than to see a very cool truck on the front page. John has a cool truck, but the reason we may be putting it there is not the reason I went to the effort to bring the TOTM back.

Dom and I worked very hard at getting Vendors to support the TOTM and believe it or not, a lot of work goes into it every month (well at least for me it does). I knew I would never have a truck that was even remotely capable of winning, so to be part of this fun process I eventually got the support from Patrick and we've been doing this ever since.

So, something that is supposed to be fun and enjoyable for the members has become a series of hurt feelings, regardless of what side of the issue your on. Nominations that were done with great respect for great looking trucks are now over shadowed by this process.

I've always had great respect for those that go out and make an otherwise awesome truck, just that much better. The after market stuff is what truly makes the TOTM. I really don't mind that John would have been part of the Oct TOTM, but it became very evident to most that regardless of what truck people liked the most, they were expected to vote for John. I saw this when one nominee after another removed themselves from the process fearing an unfair chance at that Holy Grail.

So in a nut shell folks, if you want to see John on the front page for a second month, remember to vote. Lets just not pass this thing by a vote, but kill it. Get 70, 80, 90 votes that say yes and leave no doubt as to your feelings.

This preliminary vote will run right up to the 25th, which means it will run longer than any vote we have ever had. I wanted to make sure everyone had an opportunity to voice their feelings without being cornered into a position by a few.

Let me also say, that this is your vote. Regardless of what I think or say will have no bearing as long as you all do your part and vote. Either way, let you voices be heard

Cheers :D

I just sat down and ran through all the posts to this thread.

It really looks like TOTM needs more rules added to clear these things up.

Jeff is doing a great job of trying to figure this out. He is also doing a great job of trying to get members' input.

My nomination is for Jeff to make new/additional rules for TOTM. Does anybody wish to second this nomination? It really doesn't matter for October as the poll will determine this time. However, future situations may possibly be eliminated.

Please don't let take this message the wrong way. I intend no disrespect to any members of the VTCOA.

I don't see any problems with it at all. Although some may think it's nothing major, tis true and it may not be a statue made of gold but it's something little that puts none of us out and is the very least we can do. Honestly, it's one month - whoop-dee-shit! Being the very active member of this forum John was, I think it's a nice gesture and a simple and effective way to honor him.

2c

Stinker said:
Here is my honest opinion, some may like it some may not, I have tried not to post it due to the fact that some may think I have bad feelings toward John, and I dont, jsut the opposite, I respected the man a ton , he stood strong for what he believed in.

but here goes.

to Me we have allready given John a memeorial.

Six pack let them put a memorial on his pic for TOTM, now a new person or jsut someone stopping in to view the site, will look at that pic an think that the truck is Johns an has passed, to me that was not very fair to Six pack and his super nice truck, but he hasnt said a word.

But for me John has had a memorial, and really to give him TOTM, I dont know, I think he would probably denie the nomination.

But we have to be fair to the other members, and I think everyone knows what I am talking about, if John gets nominated, no one else has a chance.

Now Jeff has done the very best he can, and has agonized over this more than most think, we have put him in a very bad position, and he is doing what he thinks is correct.

So I would say it stands, if John gts the 5 votes, then go ahead as planned, if not, then a normal TOTM as usuall.

RIP John, the one thing John did love was contraversy:D and even in passing John is probably smilling at this moment:rock:

Rock on at Heavens gate John:rock:
Well said brother.:)

I believe John was an up front guy and someone who earned his stripes in life!!.I wouldn't want anyone to nominate me for something just because I passed.I would however be honored to be inducted into a Fallen members thread,And I think John would agree with me.This is just my opinion and I do not mean any disrespect to anyone in this matter.Let the majority decide whats right and I will adhere to whatever rule is passed.

Let me say that my membership number is above 10,000 (I didn’t get my truck until Nov 2008) my post numbers are a little over 400 (about 1.5 per day). At what point does my purchase date or membership join date (generally the two are closely related) have anything to do with my love of the SRT-10 Truck? Does this also restrict my ability to decide on what is or is not a good looking truck?

According to some of the statements that have been made here the numbers above would mean that my opinion doesn’t carry any weight and I should just shut up and do what I am told by those that have two digits or lower membership number.

I would respectfully suggest that many, if not all, that want to GIVE John this months TOTM as a way to honor him could have nominated him at virtually any time in the past. Again on the times that John’s truck was nominated did ALL of these same individuals vote for him? I submit that if they had then he would have won the TOTM by an overwhelming margin and would have also won TOTY.

As some others have done, I have just went back and read the thread from the first to the last. I am struck at how much this discussion/debate has gotten to Name Calling, Weeding out the Nay Sayers, etc.

What is the next step, keeping records of the negative speaking individuals so it can be used against them later? I think someone in the White House tried that about 3 months ago and we know the UPROAR it caused as it had the ring of an “Enemies List” from years gone by.

If you continue on this course you should simply abandon the TOTM and put his truck on the Main Page until the Next Death. Then what is going to happen who would have been the more important member? This is a dangerous precedence that can and will have ramifications in the future. Some will say you did it then why not now? If you did that then, why not this now? You did it for John, why not for xxxxxx?

Please think about what you are suggesting and its consequences. I did vote to have a NORMAL TOTM simply because I do not feel that there is anyway ANY tuck would get a fair and honest vote for the above reasons.

I say if you want to honor John and his truck then find a way to do it but leave TOTM alone. Remember the Highway to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Respects to ALL and to John: May you Rest in Piece and enjoy sitting at the right hand of God.

Since I wrote what I did above I have walked away from this thread to give people a chance to respond in whichever way they wish. I’m glad I did. I read with careful attention what Jeff recently wrote. I read what Stinker wrote; yes two well known members here and highly regarded. But the post that made me really think was from Da1Chief. Yes, your post count isn’t astronomical and your member number is above 10k.. But your word does count here. Everyone’s does and I was unequivocally wrong for suggesting anyone is being selfish. I have no problem with admitting my fault(s). I hereby publically apologize if I came off strong.. No I DID come off strong and shouldn’t have.

I began to remind me about all of those that (for instance) didn’t give a damn about Michael Jackson, but suddenly started raving about him after he was gone. Chief is right. It’s not like I made a significant attempt to nominate John’s truck when he was here… When it really mattered. I have no right to declare anyone is wrong for what they believe. My member number doesn’t make my opinion anymore or less legit than any of our 10,000+ members. I hope no one thought that’s what I was getting at. And I do agree that John wouldn’t want something just given to him for whatever reason. He wasn’t like that, he was a great man. I really wouldn’t like to see his name tarnished and remembered as a person looking for a free hand me out. Those that knew him or met him honor him in our/their own ways. There’s no need to force this upon everyone that comes here for fast trucks.

For me.. *sigh*.. I guess it was because I’m not impressed with the SRT-10 anymore. I don’t care about them.. I only thought of this one last chance to honor him and I just lost sight of why we all came here in the first place. I started placing my thoughts and opinions ahead of what this forum was intended for. Again, I apologize to everyone that voted their beliefs. I don’t hold anything against anyone here and I certainly hope I am not hated or looked down upon.

And Da1Chief? Thank you for your meaningful words. They ARE more important than you think my friend. Take care all. Good-bye John.

Last edited:
Venom Power said:
Since I wrote what I did above I have walked away from this thread to give people a chance to respond in whichever way they wish. I’m glad I did. I read with careful attention what Jeff recently wrote. I read what Stinker wrote; yes two well known members here and highly regarded. But the post that made me really thing was from Da1Chief. Yes, your post count isn’t astronomical and your member number is above 10k.. But your word does count here. Everyone’s does and I was unequivocally wrong for suggesting anyone is being selfish. I have no problem with admitting my fault(s). I hereby publically apologize if I came off strong.. No I DID come off strong and shouldn’t have.

I began to remind me about all of those that (for instance) didn’t give a damn about Michael Jackson, but suddenly started raving about him after he was gone. Chief is right. It’s not like I made a significant attempt to nominate John’s truck when he was here… When it really mattered. I have no right to declare anyone is wrong for what they believe. My member number doesn’t make my opinion anymore or less legit than any of our 10,000+ members. I hope no one thought that’s what I was getting at. And I do agree that John wouldn’t want something just given to him for whatever reason. He wasn’t like that, he was a great man. I really wouldn’t like to see his name tarnished and remembered as a person looking for a free hand me out. Those that knew him or met him honor him in our/their own ways. There’s no need to force this upon everyone that comes here for fast trucks.

For me.. *sigh*.. I guess it was because I’m not impressed with the SRT-10 anymore. I don’t care about them.. I only thought of this one last chance to honor him and I just lost sight of why we all came here in the first place. I started placing my thoughts and opinions ahead of what this forum was intended for. Again, I apologize to everyone that voted their beliefs. I don’t hold anything against anyone here and I certainly hope I am not hated or looked down upon.

And Da1Chief? Thank you for your meaningful words. They ARE more important than you think my friend. Take care all. Good-bye John.

Im good with that......

TNVIPER said:
Why do you say that????? I thought the world of John and I bet he would not approve of his truck being handed TOTM...just my opinion as the above is yours..:mad:
I have to agree man. I don't want people thinking that I am being disrespectful, but I dont think he would want to be just handed something.

i think that's the point...

i nominated him...

but in retrospect, the odds of him being nominated because "i like his truck more than that one" would have been slim to none....

maybe i shouldn't have....

and knowing what i think i know about john,

"handouts...we don't need no stinkin handouts"

this is totm....not RIP member of the month...and i don't think he would have any problem saying that himself...

take it for what it's worth....

I am sorry , but this thing is getting out of hand stupid:mad:

Jeff I will not support TOTM until things get back to normal.

something like this should not affect feelings between friends, and that is what is happening:mad:

I feel bad for you my friend, there is no good outcome to this, I am truely sorry.

but there is jsut no reason to post up against others opinions or feelings, Jeff asked for opinions , not ones opnions about other peoples opinions.

This is just fukin stupid, maybe we could post up one of supercars racist jokes to break the theme of things? would that make everyone feel better?

this is nothing but depressing,

let the vote stand onthe 25th, he makes it or not, either way Jeff I commend you and support you to the end buddy,

done with this thread, ya'll jsut keep comming on and picking at each other, your friends, the guys you like and love, and joke with, and remember what brings this forum together..........

Stinker said:
I am sorry , but this thing is getting out of hand stupid:mad:

Jeff I will not support TOTM until things get back to normal.

something like this should not affect feelings between friends, and that is what is happening:mad:

I feel bad for you my friend, there is no good outcome to this, I am truely sorry.

but there is jsut no reason to post up against others opinions or feelings, Jeff asked for opinions , not ones opnions about other peoples opinions.

This is just fukin stupid, maybe we could post up one of supercars racist jokes to break the theme of things? would that make everyone feel better?

this is nothing but depressing,

let the vote stand onthe 25th, he makes it or not, either way Jeff I commend you and support you to the end buddy,

done with this thread, ya'll jsut keep comming on and picking at each other, your friends, the guys you like and love, and joke with, and remember what brings this forum together..........

I agree...the poll is fine IMO...the outcome is just not that big a deal to me.......I think admin should delete all the posts on this thread and close it for voting only with no posts...:dontknow:

I hadn't realised so many were viewing this in terms of it being a "competition". I didn't vote for him being "TOTM" (per se), that isn't really how I viewed or voted on this topic. I merely looked at it like laying flowers at his grave or hugging his loved ones. It's not about the "competition" to me but the fact it's showing how much we did care. TOTM is a nice way of saying: "Let's hold things off for 1 month and celebrate Supercar1of1". He may not have taken a "freebie" like being placed in the TOTM box but he sure as hell wouldn't have said no to flowers at his grave or kind gestures, this is just an online way of sharing these things on the www. IMO it's a tribute and has nothing to do with his truck being the "best."

2c

TNVIPER said:
I agree...the poll is fine IMO...the outcome is just not that big a deal to me.......I think admin should delete all the posts on this thread and close it for voting only with no posts...:dontknow:

WHAT? And get rid of my long drawn out apology? I worked on that for almost fifteen minutes Larry.:D I don't mind announcing I was wrong. I don't even mind if I am mad at. As long as I don't hold bad feelings towards anyone, I'm good.. I'm good.. But of course, the admins will and should do what they feel is best.

Venom Power said:
WHAT? And get rid of my long drawn out apology? I worked on that for almost fifteen minutes Larry.:D I don't mind announcing I was wrong. I don't even mind if I am mad at. As long as I don't hold bad feelings towards anyone, I'm good.. I'm good.. But of course, the admins will and should do what they feel is best.

If it will make you feel better I'll copy and paste your apology in my sig...LOL...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back