Weight reduction

Viper7777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know for sure what the weight of these items are

1/ stock srt-10 hood
2/ stock front fenders

Not sure of the weight, but took my truck to the dump the other day. My empty weight with me in the truck and the tank 1/3 full was 2140lbs. Subtract 245lbs for my weight plus a little fror the crap hiding behind my seat and a RC weighs in at just under 4900lbs wet. I was always thinking it was closer to 5600. Not so. FWIW, my stock GMC hood was 110lbs, and the 'glass lift-off Harwood is 22lbs. Why? Are you planning on fabbing up a glass nose?

Greg

RedSrt007 said:
mine w/ 1/4 tank without me is 4960

-Red

Hmmmmm...that explains why a stock red SRT-10 is a bit slower than a black one.....the red pigment in the paint must be heavier!!!:p Just kidding, actually the difference is probably due to the fact that I am not carrying around a spare tire and rim. I am guessing that is most of the difference.

Greg

Anyone weigh a QC? I am assuming it is up with my HEMI 1500 w/ 20's that I had. It was around 5600 LBS w.o my 250lb azz in it. I did remove the spare.

I have removed the spare and jack from my SRT 10 just because it was eaiser to install the new exhaust, I am just going to leave it out. I would guess that the spare and jack might have saved me 60+ lbs.

They make a carbon fiber replica of the srt-10 hood , not that i care for carbon fiber look ,i want to have it painted flat black. But still my friend has a carbon fiber hood on his bmw and the thing you can lift with your finger. Allso i found some fiberglass dodge front fenders. That factor in with no spare tire, half tank of gas, odds and ends save 20-30 pounds, dicth the 22's save 50 pounds at least. Take out the passenger seat lol 40 pounds, take off the spoiler 10 pounds, Add all that up along with 100 pounds saved on the hood and fenders that comes to about 320 pounds, so now your truck is at 4580

now lets say 500 to the wheels hp, at 4900 pounds quarter mile time would be 12.46

now a 4580 at 500hp would be 12.18 in the quater

now this is including the truck drives itself :) :D

Still i believe there is alot of weight to be shed on our trucks. That is if you wanna go fast in the quarter :)

Now we factor in 220 pounds for driver, and Nowwhats rwhp :D

Looks like we are running a 11.17 in the quarter in a estimated 4800 pound rig

Now you know when you are at 11.17 your gonna sale your left n*t to break in the 10's

Moral of the story drop 500 pounds from your truck do a exact copy of Nowwhats truck on a stock motor, RC and nail a good drive down the track you can break in to the 10's

But wait theres more add Nowwhats 200 shot of nos and that puts you at 10.25 and pray the motor doesnt blow :)

Now lets take walts hp numbers at 1,000hp in a RC at 4800 pounds that puts you at 9.8

I venture to say these numbers arent far from the truth.. all i got to say is impressive indeed.

Last edited:
Viper7777 said:
Still i believe there is alot of weight to be shed on our trucks. That is if you wanna go fast in the quarter :)

I would rather go fast by making more reliable power, but whatever floats your boat. I think the cool thing about these trucks is how much they weigh and how many creature comforts they have, and yet still pulling the kind of G's they do. But that's just me. If you want to go down that road, might as well do a racing seat, lexan windows, and and remove the bed. Lots of dead wieght there. :D Don't forget to remove the dash, and all of the heavy innards of your doors. who needs windows that go up and down anyway?:dontknow:

All joking aside, you get my point. My only advise to you is buyer beware. I have purchased many fiberglass hoods, and one carbon fiber hood in the past. None of them fit nearly as well as a factory hood. And the carbon fiber hood didn't fit the hood struts correctly on my BMW, so I had to relocate them and use different struts. BTW, who makes a carbon fiber hood for our trucks?

Greg

Oh trust me i have a ram air 2 hood sitting on my firebird formula right now, they are never as good as steel.

I understand what ya saying, im not talking about turning full drag. I just want a 10 second truck you feel me ? And i think i can get to that point without having to remove the dash lol. Allready thought about the bed, noone makes a fiberglass one :)

my point was there will come a time where i end my list of mods much like Nowwhat where all there is left to do is run Nos, and wait for the motor to blow. Instead i rather work on the opposite end of the spectram and get the truck lighter, whatever will get me in the 10's

JH did 10.88 on a 780 hp rc truck. So its deffinatly doable.

Totally understand about the g thing in big truck. Thats why i chose my truck over any other car i could have wanted and my current vette. Theres something about blowing the doors off somone in a truck. I get more enjoyment out of that then driving my vette around.

Heres the hood

http://www.grounddynamics.com/Templates/frmTemplateq.asp?SubFolderID=679&SearchYN=N

Viper7777 said:

Now that you're lighter and have more power, go try making that power stick.

JH had much much more than 780 on that run:D LOLOL If that was so Nowwhat would be in the 11'a easy with his set up. there was a BIG blue bottle helping on that run.

To have a good honest 10 second truck bro, your gonna have to spend around $50k. no way around that. Hood or no hood.

to do 10 second 1/4 miles it is going to take serious hp and serious suspension.Just ask Jack on that one:D

According to this link somone posted the other day , If you take a 4900 pound RC at 780 RWHP. That puts you at 10.74
http://robrobinette.com/et.htm

John mentioned that on viperalley forum aswell.

But lets take Nowwhat 5600hp quad cab, at his current rwhp at 680 that puts in him the quarter at 11.76 which is exactly what hes running.

Oh im sure to get in the 10s is no easy feat, please dont misundestand me by saying a fiber carbon hood is going to do that lol.. Im saying down the road, i have no plans on ever getting rid of my truck and ever plans of having it till im 80 so one day :)

Now i will agree with you on the suspension part, gonna need a bullet proof rear and even then it will break.

Last edited:
Hmmmm....interesting thread....

Ok first we are assuming what a 1.6x 60'....?....let's start there...that means real slicks...not Drag Radials.....

Anyone actually know what a QC weighs....?....if the thing weighs 5700 with me in it....and at my soon to be 850rwhp super bomb.....that = a 10.98 on the computer....:D

Since we're playing number games....I ran a corrected time for DA of around an 11.2@125 on a 5500+DA day at LACR with a 1.6x 60' on 686rwhp on my RC with no spare, and 19" wheels up, no sway bar for weight reduction but also that weight was more than negated by my heavy ass tonneau cover and stereo equipment...now what the heck was my point, I forgot:dontknow:

Stinker said:
To have a good honest 10 second truck bro, your gonna have to spend around $50k. no way around that. Hood or no hood...to do 10 second 1/4 miles it is going to take serious hp and serious suspension.:D

Roger that! Over.

:rock: :rock: :rock:

And the new Z06 is just about one ton lighter! I can tell everytime they scorch me!

I just had a BFO*. what if you had a 4500 pound truck and a considerable amount of HP a TH400, with some 33x14.5x15 superstiff sidewall Mickey's on some 11 pound 15x14 Bogart wheels with a trans brake, and a 4 link.

That just might get in the *.50's or maybe the *.00's.:burnout:

*Bright flash of the obvious

Nowwhat said:
Hmmmm....interesting thread....

Ok first we are assuming what a 1.6x 60'....?....let's start there...that means real slicks...not Drag Radials.....

Anyone actually know what a QC weighs....?....if the thing weighs 5700 with me in it....and at my soon to be 850rwhp super bomb.....that = a 10.98 on the computer....:D

850 rwhp super bomb LMAO good one. Dont be getting near any government buildings with that thing, or your azz is screwed lol. :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back